Corsair Community

Need help with 10 ql setup

OneFingeredFist

1. Is it better to plug the node core into the commander pro usb 2.0 or my nzxt internal usb 2.0 header?(I got the internal hub because all of the stories I’ve read with ASUS dark hero motherboard).

2. Do you recommend I connect the commander pro, commander core, and node core to the internal 2.0 header?

3. Do the fans on the radiator have to be plugged into the commander core for cooling purposes according to the 10 fan diagram?(reason I ask is I’m try to do a fan setup so it’s in order in my Corsair 5000x) or can I rearrange the fans in icue to go in a certain order?Reason I ask because it would be better if I plugged the front and back fans into the commander core to get them in a rgb order for effects. 

I don’t have a RGB fan led hub like in the image(node core)I have the cappellix 150i

picture below of what I got right now

659B136F-1170-4829-A481-15B7703D25FA.png

image.jpg

1. You should use the powered USB hub and not the Commander Pro pass-through ports.  They are literal USB pass-through with no device-to-device communication or linking.  The Commander Pro is like one of those  3 way plug adapters.  Works for low draw items.  The powered hub is the equivalent of a power strip.  Better choice.

2.  If you have a spare internal USB header, I would connect either the Commander Core or Pro to to that.  They have the greater needs.  You can see if one reacts poorly, but if you need a starting point more X570/B550 owners have an issue with the Commander Pro vs the Com Core.  It may be you need all three on the USB hub anyway because the board does not output enough for even one device.  

3.  PWM speed control and RGB function are completely separate, hence the two wires.  They can go to different controllers if needed, although that might make it a minor headache for management.  You do want the radiator fans on the Commander Core so they can use the native coolant temp (H150i Elite Temp) as the control source.  This is the proper control variable.  The C-Pro can fetch that data from the system, but it requires the software be active to do so.  That means you may not have fan control when CUE is not running and that gets tiresome pretty quickly.  In fact, I am not sure you need the Commander Pro at all in this set-up.  The 5000 series has that small 6 port PWM repeater above the Com Core in your picture.  That will power up to 6 fans, although all at the same speed.  You don't need your independent control over your radiator fans.  So 3 could go there.  However, if you are running the radiator on top (and thus the front 3 and side 3 as intake), you may want to use the PWM repeater for those.  No reason for independent control.  6 fans on control from one button.  The PWM controller takes slot #1 on the Com Core.  Then the top 3 radiator fans + rear all get their own header.  Speed control done.

RGB control is more complex.  Each controller operates as a separate stand-alone lighting group.  That means you can't tell CUE I want Pong for all fans and it immediately runs through them 1-10 in the order you want.  The only global connected lighting patterns are those found in the lighting link options at the bottom.  All of those are intra-fan patterns (no moving between fans), except for Color Wave and Visor.  It is very common to want to set up a fan 1 to fan X sequential pattern when you first get LL or QL fans, but I warn you it requires a lot of planning and has very limited use.  Most people will grow tired of it quickly, then find they need to re-arrange and re-program to make it more useful.  If you want to try this anyway, I will paste the global lighting link sequence below.  It is possible to program custom waves or ripples in the correct sequence, but it is technical and requires quite a bit of experimentation.  By the time you are ready for that, you probably won't need our help.

My suggestion to most people is they look at the case and decide what fans or areas they want to linked, essentially lighting zones.  For the 4000/5000/7000 series cases and 10 fans, most people may want the top 3 + 1 rear + pump OLED on the same group.  That leaves the front 3 + side 3 as another.  This sets up easily on the controllers with the top 3 + rear RGB cables as 1-4 on the Commander Core.  Then you would do the front 6 on the Lighting Node Core that came with the case.  Fan 1 goes first, fan 6 goes last in sequence.  You do that any way you want, from bottom to top, then back down the MB side wall.  Also remember controllers are not locked at 6 fan groups.  You can apply one effect to the front 3 and something else to the side.  At that point you then have two independent lighting groups on the same controller.

The only other arrangement that comes to mind would be trying to do front 3 + top 3 as one group, then the rear + side 3 as another.  This might make sense if you intend to turn the case to side, perpendicular to your point of view.  That would mean front 3 + top on Com Core RGB and rear + side on LNCore.  

Global Lighting Link order for sequential effects [start] KB -> Mouse -> RGB mouse pad -> Lighting Node Pro -> Lighting Node Core -> Commander Pro -> Commander Core -> RAM -> External Ambient Lighting (LS100, LT100, ST100)[end].

On 9/26/2021 at 9:55 AM, c-attack said:

1. You should use the powered USB hub and not the Commander Pro pass-through ports.  They are literal USB pass-through with no device-to-device communication or linking.  The Commander Pro is like one of those  3 way plug adapters.  Works for low draw items.  The powered hub is the equivalent of a power strip.  Better choice.

2.  If you have a spare internal USB header, I would connect either the Commander Core or Pro to to that.  They have the greater needs.  You can see if one reacts poorly, but if you need a starting point more X570/B550 owners have an issue with the Commander Pro vs the Com Core.  It may be you need all three on the USB hub anyway because the board does not output enough for even one device.  

3.  PWM speed control and RGB function are completely separate, hence the two wires.  They can go to different controllers if needed, although that might make it a minor headache for management.  You do want the radiator fans on the Commander Core so they can use the native coolant temp (H150i Elite Temp) as the control source.  This is the proper control variable.  The C-Pro can fetch that data from the system, but it requires the software be active to do so.  That means you may not have fan control when CUE is not running and that gets tiresome pretty quickly.  In fact, I am not sure you need the Commander Pro at all in this set-up.  The 5000 series has that small 6 port PWM repeater above the Com Core in your picture.  That will power up to 6 fans, although all at the same speed.  You don't need your independent control over your radiator fans.  So 3 could go there.  However, if you are running the radiator on top (and thus the front 3 and side 3 as intake), you may want to use the PWM repeater for those.  No reason for independent control.  6 fans on control from one button.  The PWM controller takes slot #1 on the Com Core.  Then the top 3 radiator fans + rear all get their own header.  Speed control done.

RGB control is more complex.  Each controller operates as a separate stand-alone lighting group.  That means you can't tell CUE I want Pong for all fans and it immediately runs through them 1-10 in the order you want.  The only global connected lighting patterns are those found in the lighting link options at the bottom.  All of those are intra-fan patterns (no moving between fans), except for Color Wave and Visor.  It is very common to want to set up a fan 1 to fan X sequential pattern when you first get LL or QL fans, but I warn you it requires a lot of planning and has very limited use.  Most people will grow tired of it quickly, then find they need to re-arrange and re-program to make it more useful.  If you want to try this anyway, I will paste the global lighting link sequence below.  It is possible to program custom waves or ripples in the correct sequence, but it is technical and requires quite a bit of experimentation.  By the time you are ready for that, you probably won't need our help.

My suggestion to most people is they look at the case and decide what fans or areas they want to linked, essentially lighting zones.  For the 4000/5000/7000 series cases and 10 fans, most people may want the top 3 + 1 rear + pump OLED on the same group.  That leaves the front 3 + side 3 as another.  This sets up easily on the controllers with the top 3 + rear RGB cables as 1-4 on the Commander Core.  Then you would do the front 6 on the Lighting Node Core that came with the case.  Fan 1 goes first, fan 6 goes last in sequence.  You do that any way you want, from bottom to top, then back down the MB side wall.  Also remember controllers are not locked at 6 fan groups.  You can apply one effect to the front 3 and something else to the side.  At that point you then have two independent lighting groups on the same controller.

The only other arrangement that comes to mind would be trying to do front 3 + top 3 as one group, then the rear + side 3 as another.  This might make sense if you intend to turn the case to side, perpendicular to your point of view.  That would mean front 3 + top on Com Core RGB and rear + side on LNCore.  

Global Lighting Link order for sequential effects [start] KB -> Mouse -> RGB mouse pad -> Lighting Node Pro -> Lighting Node Core -> Commander Pro -> Commander Core -> RAM -> External Ambient Lighting (LS100, LT100, ST100)[end].

Got all the fans hooked up like one of your suggestions by eliminating the commander pro

08AB1E37-CD1F-448E-9131-DC6F7A63DCC6.jpeg