Corsair Community

Optimal ICUE settings

Hi guys, I have 6 LL120 Fans and a H100i Elite capellix AIO in my case. The AIO comes with a commander core, so I plugged in the 2 Fans mounted to the radiator, into the commander core. The other 4 are my case fans, they are connected to a commander pro. Whenever I turn on/off my computer, all of the 4 case fans get really loud. I’m also not quite sure what my sensor for the case fans and for the AIO should be, because sometimes the case fans spike up to 1000-1300rpm even if I’m in my windows homescreen.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Commander Pro "presets" use CPU temperature as a control variable, but the data points are more like what you would see with a coolant temp curve.  This makes them mostly unusable and a custom curve with another control variable is a better choice.  The Commander Core is using coolant temperature to regulate the radiator fans.  This can be used for the case fans as well since +1C to case ambient temp will also be +1C to coolant.  GPU temp is another understandable choice for some people.  The Temp probes that come with the Commander Pro offer the best control with a direct air measurement and this works at all times, software running or not (like at boot).  Most people will see the largest change in temp near the rear exhaust (in or out of the case), so that is a good place to stick it, especially if its out of view.  The exact temp range will vary from case to case and exact location, so pick a spot and don't move it until you get the range sorted.  Anything is better than CPU temp.  It is very dynamic and has no impact on case internal temperature.  

The other thing is I am not sure why you need the Commander Pro at all.  You could move the 4 case fans over to the Commander Core.  Still have the same control options.  If you have radically different RGB fan types in use (ML-Elite 8 LED on the radiator and something like QL elsewhere), then maybe you prefer separate lighting groups.  Even then, the PWM control could be moved over while RGB cables stay, if that was somehow more convenient. 

The problem is i once used 6 LL fans and only had the commander core as a hub, it worked for the first couple of months but then it stopped. The software wouldn’t detect the AIO nor the commander core and all of the fans wouldn’t light up, so i thought maybe i should use the commander pro.

So what exactly should i choose as the sensor for the case fans i didn’t understand that part fully? I’m sorry if I’m repeating myself, English isn’t my first language. 

image.jpg

Sensor choice:

Option 1 - H100i Elite Capellix Kulmitte.  This should be the same as the Commander Core + radiator fans.  Those shape tools in the lower right corner are  a match to the Quiet/Balanced/Extreme presets (or their German language equivalents).  The only negative is the software must be running for the Commander Pro to get the data from the Commander Core.  At boot/power on they may max out or hold the last known speed.  

Option 2 - Use your GPU temp or motherboard temp sensor.  This is a decent estimate of internal case temperature and for most the GPU is the origin of all the extra heat.  If you choose this, you will need to discover the proper range.  Most people know their GPU temp range.  The MB temp sensor you would need to watch to find the normal baseline and load change.  

Option 3 - Connect a 10K thermal probe to the Commander.  There were several in the box originally or any 10K thermistor will work.  Stick the probe end near the rear exhaust as a way to measure exit air temp from the case.  This is an excellent way to measure the change in internal temperature.  This method works at all times, software running or not.

Your Commander Core is detected now.  Fan type does not determine detection.  Problems with that are usually related to the USB connector and/or chipset drivers.  4 LL and 2 ML-Elite will work on the Commander Core, but obviously the top ML fans don't have rings.  No Pong or light ring effects for them.

49 minutes ago, c-attack said:

Sensor choice:

Option 1 - H100i Elite Capellix Kulmitte.  This should be the same as the Commander Core + radiator fans.  Those shape tools in the lower right corner are  a match to the Quiet/Balanced/Extreme presets (or their German language equivalents).  The only negative is the software must be running for the Commander Pro to get the data from the Commander Core.  At boot/power on they may max out or hold the last known speed.  

Option 2 - Use your GPU temp or motherboard temp sensor.  This is a decent estimate of internal case temperature and for most the GPU is the origin of all the extra heat.  If you choose this, you will need to discover the proper range.  Most people know their GPU temp range.  The MB temp sensor you would need to watch to find the normal baseline and load change.  

Option 3 - Connect a 10K thermal probe to the Commander.  There were several in the box originally or any 10K thermistor will work.  Stick the probe end near the rear exhaust as a way to measure exit air temp from the case.  This is an excellent way to measure the change in internal temperature.  This method works at all times, software running or not.

Your Commander Core is detected now.  Fan type does not determine detection.  Problems with that are usually related to the USB connector and/or chipset drivers.  4 LL and 2 ML-Elite will work on the Commander Core, but obviously the top ML fans don't have rings.  No Pong or light ring effects for them.

Ok i tried all of the options, all had no noticeable effect. The 4 case fans keep spiking and run between 1000rpm - 1500rpm the lowest they will go is 950rpm even if all is set to quiet. I just want them to be quiet when I’m in idle, are there any other options?

Are you sure you changed the profile applied to each fan?  What you are describing is the standard behavior for any of the three presets. These are not usable on the Commander Pro. Any of your custom curves will have a fixed RPM or PWM% option. Pick a speed and change a fan to run that profile in order to test response. 

1 hour ago, c-attack said:

Are you sure you changed the profile applied to each fan?  What you are describing is the standard behavior for any of the three presets. These are not usable on the Commander Pro. Any of your custom curves will have a fixed RPM or PWM% option. Pick a speed and change a fan to run that profile in order to test response. 

Ok I think I don’t quite get how the software works. Could you quickly tell me what my fixed rpm should be, or does it even make sense to set a fixed rpm, because what happens when you start intensive tasks. And how exactly should my fan curve look like, and I have no idea what I should set the fixed % or PWM% to.

The fixed speed was a suggestion to determine if the controller is responding to commands at all and not necessarily a recommendation for daily use, although you can turn things into a low/high fan speed toggle if preferred.

In all of your screen shots you have the "Quiet" preset enabled for the fans.  This always will result in fan speeds between 1000-1400 rpm with odd ramping changes in speed for no apparent reason.   The fans are attempting to match your CPU temp's rapid dynamic changes, something they can't and don't need to do.  The fan profile system works differently than in CUE 3.  Make sure you change the setting from Quiet to your custom curve name for each fan header.  Do not use the Quiet/Balanced/Extreme presets on the Commander Pro.  On the Commander Core they have a very different meaning and this is permissible.  

Screenshot (190).png

Edited by c-attack

This is how to create a matching custom curve to the Commander Core "quiet" curve.  Create the custom curve.  Then choose the 2nd curve shape from the left (arrow).  Then make sure you change the sensor value to "H100i Capellix Temp".  That is the temperature range the curve was designed for. 

Screenshot (191)_LI.jpg

58 minutes ago, c-attack said:

This is how to create a matching custom curve to the Commander Core "quiet" curve.  Create the custom curve.  Then choose the 2nd curve shape from the left (arrow).  Then make sure you change the sensor value to "H100i Capellix Temp".  That is the temperature range the curve was designed for. 

Screenshot (191)_LI.jpg

Ok I think I got it they are way quieter now, but wouldn’t it make more sense to set sensor for the case fans as something else than „H100i Elite Capellix“?

Those shape tools in the custom curve are designed for a typical coolant range. That is why the sensor needs to be H100i Elite Temp for that curve.  You can use another control variable as suggested above, but you’ll need to change the temperature points. A gpu is going to have a very different range. 

The coolant temp was a quick way to match all your fan speeds, but it does work as general fan control. The case fans’ job is to remove warmer air from inside the case and replace it with cooler air from outside the case. The coolant temp always will have a minimum temperature equal the local ambient temp of the air around the radiator. Therefore if the case temp goes up +2C, then the coolant does as well and the system fans will increase speed slightly as a result. This makes it an effective control variable.

You don’t need the system fans to react in extreme ways to momentary changes in system output. This is one reason why cpu temp is a terrible fan control variable, except when mated to small air coolers that must respond immediately because of their low cooling capacity. Water cooling and normal case heat management is not like that. 

When you think about it, the fans cool the water, not the CPU directly.

When your CPU spikes and gets a temporary high temp reading, the water temperature takes a LONG time to warm up.. so.. accelerating the fans based on CPU temp won't actually dissipate any heat yet, since the water is still cold.

Water absorbs those little spiky loads and very slowly warms up. the fans only have to... slowly accelerate to accomodate. With watercooling, custom loop or AIO, that's the best control variable.

8 hours ago, c-attack said:

Those shape tools in the custom curve are designed for a typical coolant range. That is why the sensor needs to be H100i Elite Temp for that curve.  You can use another control variable as suggested above, but you’ll need to change the temperature points. A gpu is going to have a very different range. 

The coolant temp was a quick way to match all your fan speeds, but it does work as general fan control. The case fans’ job is to remove warmer air from inside the case and replace it with cooler air from outside the case. The coolant temp always will have a minimum temperature equal the local ambient temp of the air around the radiator. Therefore if the case temp goes up +2C, then the coolant does as well and the system fans will increase speed slightly as a result. This makes it an effective control variable.

You don’t need the system fans to react in extreme ways to momentary changes in system output. This is one reason why cpu temp is a terrible fan control variable, except when mated to small air coolers that must respond immediately because of their low cooling capacity. Water cooling and normal case heat management is not like that. 

Alright I think it’s working, thank you so so much I really appreciate it 👍🏼