Corsair Community

Corsair RAM timings

Patishi

Hi,

Any reason why I can't find Corsair RAM with tight timings like G.Skill?    For example: G.Skill 3600 CL16, Corsair CL18..

G.Skill 4000 CL 14 (15..16..17),  Corsair CL19..      

Why is that?      

Right now I have G.Skill Trident z but I returned using Corsair peripherals so I want to match the ram as well. The Corsair Dominator looks pretty sweet.. But I don't want to compromise performance.

Why are Corsair behind in RAM timings?      

If you are comparing a 4000C16 to a 4000C19, you are looking at apples and oranges. More specifically, different IC materials.  GSkill has 4000C18/19 kits too, along 4400 20-30-54 etc..  The IC is rarely advertised but any very tight timings in the 3000-4000 range is going to be Samsung B and It's usually more expensive a result, no matter the end vendor.  16GB modules above 4000 are likely to be something else and most other IC types cannot run those 16-16-32 type timings.  My Dominators can, but then they are also Samsung B-die.  If this is what you are after, there is a Dominator 2x16 4000C16 kit but it is not inexpensive.  Most other kits are focused on extending the frequency range at the expense of tight timings while still maintaining a reasonable price.  

The other spec to take note of is the voltage.  Gskill sell several kits with aggressive timings but also very aggressive voltage to match.  I didn't think we would see 1.55v XMP kits, but here we are in the last cycle of DDR4.  XMP is just a preset and does not necessarily represent the capabilities of the RAM. A kit set up for 4000 16-18-36 at 1.40v is not really much different than a kit at 4000 15-15-32@1.50v.  If you are not wanting to get into hand tuning your RAM, then the XMP preset may be more important to you.  Otherwise, there is a lot of room to narrow the gaps with a few settings.  

Edited by c-attack

there is a Dominator 2x16 4000C16 kit

Yeah, I want that 4000C16 kit.. I only wish I could find somewhere to buy it from (internationally).

And yeah I'm talking about XMP, I don't want to manually overclock my RAM.   

I need 32gb so I am willing to buy 2x16 or 4x8.. I couldn't find Corsair RAM with this config with those timings you mentioned.

I guess I will have to look for Samsung b-die instead of "Corsair"  in the search.

There isn't a whole lot of it left in the current form and I would expect focus to have shifted to DDR5 for high bin materials.  That 2x16 4000C16 kit is probably going to be hard to find anywhere.

Often these decisions about what IC to use are made based on current cost and availability.  If you are sticking to XMP, then perhaps a higher frequency kit gives you more of what you want.  It likely will give you higher Read/Write/Copy throughput, if that is what you're after.  Depending on where the IMC on your 10900K, you may be able to run 4400-4600.  Most kits up in that high frequency range will be Micron B die and so you will see a deliberate spacing between the primary CAS latency number and the the middle RCD/RP values.  That still should be measurably better than a middle 3000 kit at whatever timings.  

Edited by c-attack