Corsair Community

ICUE support for KVM switches

Rappican

Currently Corsair doesn't support KVM switches with either it's hardware or ICUE.  With the current state of the world being what it is there are many more people in the world(myself included) that now WFH.  Due to this there is a need to have both a setup for work and home and a way to interface with both of them without having to have 2 sets of M&K.  This is where the KVM switches come in handy.

I had bought a K95 keyboard a while back before I needed a KVM switch but I can't use any of the special features like the Macro keys or changing the RGB lights to do what I want.  It's honestly disappointing that Corsair doesn't and refuses to support KVM switches because it's a thing I'm sure a lot of people use.

So please if you feel the same way help me make some noise so we can get some official support out here, or if anyone knows of a way to force things to work that'd be nice as well.

• 3 months later...

I agree 100000%, just spent such a significant amount of money on a KVM and docking station just to see all my custom colors get thrown away. The workaround of 'just' changing wires every time I use my personal is honestly a joke. That's like telling someone instead of fixing your car door just enter through your trunk everytime. 

Corsair was supposed to be the gold standard for these types of products, so having no support for KVM is not consistent with their brand whatsoever.

I would have to wonder if there is a technical issue and/or limitation going on here. Perhaps instead of just ranting, maybe we see if someone from Corsair can answer why. I know that investigation and research isn't in vogue these days and that it's far more fun to rant a bit TikTok style but one path actually leads to results and understanding while the other ... doesn't.

That said, historically, some devices, particularly more advanced ones that go beyond the baseline, have had issues with KVM switches. This predates USB or Corsair's foray into this space - I had KVMs back in the days when AT and serial port were all the rage. At a minimum, though, I would expect that you'd need iCUE on both systems, at the very least. The technical issue that I could see is if the KVM switch does something to virtualize the single device on the switch and so it isn't reported as the correct device type on the USB bus. This is exactly what played hell with earlier, more advanced devices (once we migrated from AT and serial ports to PS/2 ports, that is) on KVMs. They'd virtualize the devices in order to "report" a kb/mouse to the connected system as well as to intercept keystrokes for switching systems. If that's the underlying issue, then that would be due to the KVM's implementation and there wouldn't be anything at all that Corsair would be able to do to change that. At the end of the day, unless and until Corsair actually makes a KVM, it's really impossible for them to fully "support" it ... they cannot support something that they cannot control. No one can and it's incredibly unrealistic to expect that.

• Like 2