Corsair Community

HX 1000i making me Headaches (literally)

Hello, I have read a TON of threads on all sorts of Forums and tried suggested solutions!

I hope somone very tech savy from Corsair can reply.

Problem: PSU Noise chirping/whining? (definitely not Fan because its not even spinning!)

I can also hear it in IDLE on desktop but it  gets loud in gaming/benchmarking.

I have also noticed a clicking noise inside the PSU but its only hearable in IDLE because this buzzing gets way to loud while gaming.
The clicking seems like some sort of switch, but thats not my problem. I have this ringing already inside my hearing 24/7!!! This is a big problem.

PSU bought in end of July! Since then I thought my GPU is the culprit, but boy was I wrong. The PSUs Whine is like 5 times as loud as the GPU while letting 3d Mark run!
Compared to the PSU the GPU is pretty much dead silent (Liquid Cooled)

I tested also different wall connectors and I also tried to only use the PSU cable into a seperate wall connector.

I checked all Cables for their seat (made sure eferything is supertight connected)

This PSU drives me nuts, I got an offer from Amazon to return and get a refund because its not aviable anymore inside the EU

I got this ringing inside my ear since 1-2 month after extensive testing (benchmarking) and standing beside my Gaming PC. Suddenly I fellt some sort of silence than I had it inside my head since then.
Frequencies can cause Tinnitus for all of you who are unaware of this.

Edit: Tried to upload a sound Mp3 file of the noise, but in this forum it doesnt work.

PSU.png

Edited by AngryConsumer

Well, seems this forum is dead. I will send this damn thing back.

Rip 200€ for Cablemods that will not be compatible with other brands! -.- and this damn thing is not aviable anymore in my area. And the tax situation with UK is also stupidly expensive...

Edited by AngryConsumer

It's better to open a ticket with Corsair support directly. Maybe they will have replacement units in stock for RMA.

The coil whine is definitely not normal when it's that loud so you should have no problems getting it exchanged, as long as they have some in stock. at worse, they may be able to give you another equivalent unit (or just carry on with Amazon return).

The HXi uses type 3 cables, so you would be able to use all the cables on another Corsair PSU except the 24 pin motherboard one. they are all identical between type 3 and 4, except that one.

The type 3 24 pin is only used on HXi and AXi (except the AX1600i).

So, if you get a RM, RMx, RMi, or AXi (not1600), you'll be able to reuse all the cablemod set, and will just have to get a type 4 motherboard cable.

Hopefully, if they can send you another HXi, no issues then

• Like 1

I did not buy it from Corsair, I bought it on Amazon, they have no replacement, so I could get my money back.

My problem now is, I have an expensive Cable-Mod set for this PSU and in EU its pretty hard to get atm or 30% more expensive than some month ago! So If I payed 245€ I have to pay 300+ now for a replacement. Or I lose 200+€ worth of cablemod, wich are very hard to sell here, because barely anyone uses big Corsair PSUs here from what I saw

11 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

The type 3 24 pin is only used on HXi and AXi (except the AX1600i).

So, if you get a RM, RMx, RMi, or AXi (not1600), you'll be able to reuse all the cablemod set, and will just have to get a type 4 motherboard cable.

I really liked the Digital Function to see the whole system powerdraw inside the iCUE dashboard. I could buy the HX1200i but its very expensive right now, and I think I could also downgrade to a HX850i (but I saw many problems with that one too)

Thanks for your reply, do you have aList where I can check in What PSUS my cables would fit?

37 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

Well I guess I am f*ed

I want a good PSU but looking at the AX Titanium it has fewer connector slots.
I need alone 3x 6 Pin for my Liquid Devil 6900xt

I need to check if thats enough connector slots when I am at home.
My Motherboard needs a 4 + 8 Pin, GPU 3x 6 Pin and some SATA's. I think I use all but 2x 8 Pin Connectors

Sadly the "Premium" have no link for iCUE... strange.

All others are out of Stock.

Edited by AngryConsumer

the motherboard doesn't need the additional 4 pin for the CPU. it's not even close to maxing out the 8 pin yet so you can save connecting that one.

so that's 3x PCIE 8 pin plus the EPS12V for the CPU, you only need 4, plus the various 6 pin SATA connexions but there's always plenty of those.

If you can find a PSU with one more to connect the additional 4 pin, that will be a nice aesthetics touch only, really.

6 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

the motherboard doesn't need the additional 4 pin for the CPU. it's not even close to maxing out the 8 pin yet so you can save connecting that one.

so that's 3x PCIE 8 pin plus the EPS12V for the CPU, you only need 4, plus the various 6 pin SATA connexions but there's always plenty of those.

If you can find a PSU with one more to connect the additional 4 pin, that will be a nice aesthetics touch only, really.

Hello again LeDoyen

Lets assume I buy another PSU (other brand) I just need to buy a new 24 Pin Cablemod Cable right? The rest should work just fine?

nop, those pinouts are just Corsair.

if you change brand, they will have a different pinout.

There may be a few models sharing the same pinout, since some corsair PSUs are manufactured by other OEMs but, i have no idea which can fit corsair cables.

I wouldn't fry an entire build to save 100$ of cables ^^' better be absolutely sure first.

1 hour ago, LeDoyen said:

nop, those pinouts are just Corsair.

if you change brand, they will have a different pinout.

There may be a few models sharing the same pinout, since some corsair PSUs are manufactured by other OEMs but, i have no idea which can fit corsair cables.

I wouldn't fry an entire build to save 100$ of cables ^^' better be absolutely sure first.

Welp crap, then I have to open up and redo my custom loop. Thats the main reason why I wanted to keep the cable mod cables inside.
I could buy another Corsair PSU, but after that bad one (and now I have read many comments about PSUs in the 750-1200 watts range) I dont want to buy another corsair just to save cable money.
On top of that, the Corsair cables are really bad. They are way worse than lets say BeQuit or other brands. I mean, they do the job I guess, but it looks like the cheapest crap with injection molding errors etc. (I work in that field).

Time to get rid of my EKWB CryoFuel after only 1.5 month...

Edited by AngryConsumer

you only read comments here about people having issues 🙂

the vast majjority that don't have problems don't come to post they are happy. I've owned entry level PSUs, then two HXi (750W, and my current 1200w) and they are workhorses.

The buzz you hear is most likely a filter choke somewhere in the input protection or the PFC circuit that is vibrating. it's not electrically important but just a major annoyance. I would get it replaced, even if they downgrade to a RM1000i. the difference in heat generation and electricity savings is so small between the two it would be fine.

The only PSU i keep hearing horror stories about is the AX1600i, and still, there's lots of people using one without problems.

but yea the cables are pretty bad. i only like the flat ribbon ones as default cables personally. The big bulky ones with two inches of shrink wrap, and embedded capacitors are just a nightmare.

No (not here), I have read Amazon Reviews etc. There are a lot of 5 Stars. But lately they tend to get worse from what I observed.

Hm the RM1000i you say. Maybe I check that, would save me the messy work. I really hate the thought of tearing apart the custom loop. It was my first build and a LOT of work and sweat and tears lol... 😄

Edited by AngryConsumer

The RM series is nowhere in stock in the whole EU.

mining plus new high power GPUs.. anything above 750W is like big foot riding an unicorn. Good luck spotting one.

But again, Corsair may have some. There's retail stock, and they may still have units from internal stock for customer support. Only way to know is to contact them.

If retail stock is adead end, there's nothing to lose opening a support ticket

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

mining plus new high power GPUs.. anything above 750W is like big foot riding an unicorn. Good luck spotting one.

But again, Corsair may have some. There's retail stock, and they may still have units from internal stock for customer support. Only way to know is to contact them.

Thanks for all your standing with me.

I now got the option from Amazon to keep it a little bit longer until I get a fitting PSU for my cables. I also requested an RMA by Corsair.
But I have low hopes here, my last Support ticket was never replied to.
So I am happy that Amazons Support works for me in this case.

Have a great weekend

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2021 at 11:18 PM, LeDoyen said:

Last Friday I got my "refurbished" replacement.
What can I say... its even worse and a deeper sounding one.
I asked the support how can this happen. If a customer files a complaint about a specific flaw, how can you send your customer the same thing (refurbish) with an even worse problem?
What are they thinking?... ¯\_ಠ_ಠ_/¯