Corsair Community

Running 2 commander Cores in my commander pro via USB

classyyachtmaker

What’s your motherboard series?  See the pinned thread below. It also generally applies to x470 boards with BIOS updates to make them x570 CPU compatible. 

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/168270-usb-connectivity-issues-related-to-amd-500-series-chipsets-megathread/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-996520

Are you running 2 Commander Core devices and a Commander Pro?

Edited by c-attack
  • Thanks 1

For my motherboard I have a msi z590 pro wifi cec. I'm running 14 fans and I have 2 commander cores and one commander pro. The 2 commander cores each have 6 fans plugged into them and the cores are both plugged into the usb ports on the commander pro. The commander pro has 2 80mm fans plugged in and 4 rgb strips.

PXL_20210921_025911270.jpg

Edited by classyyachtmaker

It’s possible there is to much going on through the 1 usb path. Those are literal  passthrough ports on the Commander Pro, so try disconnecting 1 of the Com Cores from it and see if the other then shows up. You might have to restart the Corsair Service in order to trigger a re-detect. 

You also could try connecting both Com Cores to the 2(?) internal board headers and leave the C-Pro disconnected for the moment. This should clarify if either Com Core has an issue, but I suspect the problem is too much hardware on one USB path. If they both work when connected directly, you probably need a powered usb hub like so many others. 

It is also possible to reduce the number of controllers by 1.  You need 1 Com Core to control the Elite AIO. You could then manage the rest with either another Com Core or the C-Pro and then a PWM repeater to help offload some of the speed control responsibilities. There is no reason for individual fan control within the banks of three. The push-pull on the side would be the obvious choice using 1 control header for 6 fans. That leaves 11 PWM headers for the remaining fans. 

Edited by c-attack

After testing different usb configurations and other Corsair products I've come to the conclusion that my commander pro's usb passthrough isn't working.

I plugged in both cores to my motherboard usb headers, but the icue software doesn't detect the second core.

So It just looks like iCUE software doesn't recognize 2 commander cores. The work around was running  8 fans on the commander pro with splitters and then using a lighting node core for the rgb. 

It should recognize 2. It may call them Commander Core and Commander Core(1), but the one with the pump wide cable attached will show as the AIO pump “face” and the other will show as the device main body that looks very much like the Commander Pro picture. 

There are others using two Com Cores strictly for easy dual RGB/PWM control. I have not heard of this coming up outside of the standard AMD issues. Probably time to reach out to Corsair Support as well, if you have not already. This is not common on Intel Z builds, but if this is a new board, make sure the chipset drivers have been installed. 

On the other hand, it seems you have extra hardware resources available and what you’ve done now is what I would have recommended in light of the strips that need a RGB channel. 

Edited by c-attack
  • Thanks 1