Corsair Community

First post, forgive my inability to search or use my brain logically.... RM 850x powering Geforce 3080....

pyrotenax

Hi and afternoon. 

After many years of being a console gamer , I am starting my 2nd PC build. It is a big step from my first PC build which was from the Pentium P3-450 era lol 😄

A lot of time has passed since then (and technology) so I started to get myself a few things on my shopping list..... 

5000D Airflow case 

RM 850x

ROG STRIX 3080

Can you confirm that the following connections on my RM 850x PSU are the correct ones to connect my Geforce 3080 into ?

Many thanks 🙂

RM 850x_connections.png

yes they are 🙂

those "6+2 and 4+4" are all identical on the PSU end, so feel free to connect where it is the easiest for cable management. Seems pretty good as you show

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LeDoyen said:

yes they are 🙂

those "6+2 and 4+4" are all identical on the PSU end, so feel free to connect where it is the easiest for cable management. Seems pretty good as you show

Great, thankyou 🙂

I note that within the PSU accessory bag there are 3x PCIe 8pin cables, which is handy .... although each has a dual end on which...

a) look messy 

b) are quite bulky with the extra unused 8pin plug "flapping" around

Would you recommend using 3x separate 8pin PCIe cables (separate purchase , one for each power socket on 3080)

or connect as pictured with one cable supplying 2x power sockets and the other cable supplying 1x power socket on 3080 ?

Many thanks for your reply 

PCIe 8pin.PNG

3x PCIe.PNG

using two cables would work, but as much as possible it's better to use discrete cables to limit voltage drop and cables warming up.

They can take the load in that case but it's less ideal than 3 cables.

If you can spare the cash, getting proper single ended 8 pin cables will look MUCH neater for sure. The RMx uses type 4 cables, so they are not too hard to find.

I wouldn't recommend sleeved extensions though. Quality is rarely good. Better stick with cables made for the PSU (type 4) either directly from Corsair (as much as you can), or from reputable aftermarket manufacturers like Cablemod.

• Like 1

Thanks , I have ordered these on Amazon ...

3x Corsair CP-8920245 Premium Individually Sleeved PCIe (Single Connector) Cables Type 4 Gen 4 – White

1x CORSAIR Premium Individually Sleeved ATX 24-Pin Cable Type 4 Gen 4 – White

1x Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved EPS12V/ATX12V Cables – Type 4 Gen 4 – White

along with some additional combs

You have been a great help 👍

• Thanks 1

no worries, enjoy the electrons flowing with swag 🙂