Corsair Community

Fan profiles and sensors - H150i ELITE CAPELLIX - Commander Pro

Zodler

I have these

1- H150i ELITE CAPELLIX and its fans connected to Commander Core + 1 outgoing case fan

2- Have a Commander Pro and 6 incoming case fans.

I would like to know what is the H150i ELITE CAPELLIX temp? It's not the Processor package temp, right?

I imagine H150i ELITE CAPELLIX has the H150i ELITE CAPELLIX temp as sensor.

What does the Commander Pro use as sensor at default? The fans connected to it are running at 1200+ RPM which is loud in idle while at the same time the fans connected to H150i Commander Core are running at 500 RPM.

Everything is set to Quiet profile.

Edited by Zodler

H150i Temp (or insert AIO model#) is coolant temperature.  This is the measure of the cooling systems efficiency, but since local ambient temperature is always going to be the base minimum,  it's best measured as a delta or change in coolant temp (+6C etc) and coolant temp and CPU temp have a +1 to +1 relationship.  A +2 increase to coolant temp will increase CPU temp by +2. 

H150i Temp is the proper control variable for the radiator fans.  The CPU is cooled by conductive heat transfer.  The liquid, radiator, and fans are the trash removal department.  Pick up the heat at the block, bring to the radiator, expel it somewhere else.  That means the fans only need to respond when the coolant temp increases - you must raise the coolant temp to impact the CPU temp.  The trick is finding a baseline fan speed since everyone is going to have different environmental conditions that change with the room and seasons as well.  Take note of the coolant temp when sitting on the desktop, non-load conditions.  It's usually about 4-7C above room temperature or at a minimum the same as the case internal temperature.  That is as low as you go.  Set a quiet and comfortable fan speed for that level.  Also take note of the peak coolant temp you see when gaming or running heaving CPU loads.  Gaming is often going to be the higher of the two because of the increase in the case temperature resulting from the GPU blowing its waste heat everywhere.  Set your fans at that coolant temp to a tolerable middle fan speed.  This becomes your normal ceiling.  There is little to be gained by running really high fan speeds vs a moderate one, so make the decision based on noise.  What you do in between the points won't matter.

Other fans on the Commander Core can use coolant temp as a control variable (different curve or same) as a way to balance fan speeds around the case.  The Commander Pro can pick up this value as well, but it requires the CUE software to be running.  Without it, no data and the fans either max out or hold their last known speed.  You definitely want off the presets on the C-Pro (Quiet, balanced, extreme) immediately.  It uses CPU temp with no hysteresis as the control variable on a curve meant for water cooling.  Your fans will sit there at 1400 rpm all day long with occasional spikes even higher.  Using the H150i temp is one option, as is GPU or motherboard temp.  All are better than the defaults.  However, the intended use is to take one or more of the thermistor temp probes from the Commander and take an ambient air temp.  You can stick the other end wherever you want (rear exhaust makes the most sense for gaming loads).  You'll need to discover the normal range of operation as it is both hardware and exact location specific.  Pick a place and leave it.  Moving it may change the range.  I used to slide it out the back of the case and it was taped behind the rear exhaust where I couldn't see it.  That is a good measure of the internal case temp and whether you need more air cycling.  

Thank you. I have gone with the GPU temp for the remaining 6 QL120 fans connected to Commander Pro.

Since it's my first custom curve, is it right that I can not add or delete points? I have 6 points on the curve and I have to use 6?

For the range I have gone from 400 RPM for 40C to 1500RPM for 70c.

Yes, you cannot add or delete data points from the graph.  You have to make do with what's there, but 6 should cover it.  If you have more than you need, you can either string them out at the ends (30C=400 rpm, 40C=400 rpm, then progress) or squeeze it into the middle (60C=1200 rpm, 61C=1200 rpm).  My preference is to leave the extra dot at the beginning as your baseline temp may shift over the course of the year as seasons change.  Not uncommon to see a 10C ambient temp difference between Winter and Summer in a temperate climate.