Corsair Community

Fans stop and start on cold boot

aidos93

Hi all

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this. I've recently built a new PC with a H100i Elite Capellix cooler and 4 other ML120 Pro fans (all 6 fans are hooked into the Commander Core unit that came with the H100i). The fan behaviour has changed on cold boot all of a sudden. For the first few days of use, the fans would spin up quite fast immediately on boot before slowing down after a few seconds. Now on cold boot, the lights will come on but the fans remain stationary for a couple of seconds. The fans then spin up for a few seconds, then stop entirely again for a few seconds before spinning up again for good. This happens regardless of whether I boot into Windows or the BIOS, so it can't be iCue that is causing them to stop and start. Any ideas what has caused this change in behaviour and how I can change it back? I did play around with the cooling settings in iCue the other day but then deleted any custom fan settings and set them all back to the Balanced profile built into the iCue software (this is what they were set to before I touched anything). I've attached a gif of the behaviour.

Thanks so much!

What type of MB / CPU are you running?

Most AMD machines can power cycle a few times when cold booting, which sounds similar to your situation.

Personally, as long as things are running correctly within BIOS / Windows, I would just monitor Pump and fan speeds to make sure temps are good. Sounds like a system thing and not your cooler.

If you're running an Asus motherboard, this sound like your system is doing a memory test on cold boot (normal). This should only happen after you've unplugged your power supply or perhaps tweaked your memory settings in BIOS. Your system specs would be helpful...