Corsair Community

iCUE RGB stutter/lag/disconnecting/USB disconnect/reconnect sounds

starb33tle

Please help me I have tried everything to fix this issue I have a Corsair commander pro, h100i premium cooler and 4 LL120 fans within my gaming pc.

I have tried everything from USB selective settings disabled, device manager power management disabled for all usb and composite HID devices, changed BIOS XHCI-handoff settings, BIOS C-states settings changed, reinstall iCUE, try iCUE v3 instead of v4, updating firmware, repairing iCUE via Windows, changing my iCUE settings to the correct fans amount, disabling my Corsair h100i cooler AIO pump RGB OFF. Nothing works!!! 

I don’t know what to do, I have been so stressed for WEEKS trying to find out why whenever I play games especially some slightly more demanding games eg Genshin Impact etc my PC Corsair products iCue rgb just disconnects and reconnects literally 10s of times with the USB disconnect and reconnect sound and my lights lag and flash, stutter, turn off then on, it’s so annoying and disappointing I don’t know what to do please help

Corsair if you see this please fix this issue you have hundreds of people begging you to for the products they have paid for! 

HELPPP!! 😞 

Thank you.

Do you have an AMD build?

if you are there are long standing issues with USB on ryzen motherboards causing that kind of behaviour. You'd need to make sure the bios is up to date to have the latest AMD fixes on this issue and if it's not sufficient, get a powered internal USB hub, to remove any power load from the motherboard header.

A lot of us use this one : https://nzxt.com/product/internal-usb-hub-gen-3

5 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

Do you have an AMD build?

if you are there are long standing issues with USB on ryzen motherboards causing that kind of behaviour. You'd need to make sure the bios is up to date to have the latest AMD fixes on this issue and if it's not sufficient, get a powered internal USB hub, to remove any power load from the motherboard header.

A lot of us use this one : https://nzxt.com/product/internal-usb-hub-gen-3

Thanks for the reply.

I do have an AMD build Ryzen 5800x and 3070 ti EVGA GPU.

I will see if my bios is up to date today. I have noticed people have been buying an aftermarket NZXT hub but I’ve already spent 5,000 dollars on this computer and really don’t want that to be an option; maybe a last resort.

I wouldn’t know what i’m doing either with it. If I were to buy it, do I just plug in my fans and cooler pump into it?

I really wish corsair would fix this as i’ve spent lots of money on them and expect an issue that has been going on for several years to fix. 

1 hour ago, starb33tle said:

I will see if my bios is up to date today. I have noticed people have been buying an aftermarket NZXT hub but I’ve already spent 5,000 dollars on this computer and really don’t want that to be an option; maybe a last resort.

It should be the first option for most people.  A powered USB 2.0 hub is about $20.  Half of us need one anyway because the board may only have 1-2 internal USB 2 ports.  

As for the remedy, it's not something Corsair can fix.  This is on the MB end.  A clear example of this is x470 owners who had no issues with this, then took the BIOS update that went along with the arrival of the x570 boards and CPUs.  The voltage spec was altered.  If stands to reason if you can be fine before a BIOS update and not after, that is a MB issue.  Same thing on the other end with any recent fixes.  Finger crossed on that, but the issue is limited to recent AMD motherboards only.

32 minutes ago, c-attack said:

It should be the first option for most people.  A powered USB 2.0 hub is about $20.  Half of us need one anyway because the board may only have 1-2 internal USB 2 ports.  

As for the remedy, it's not something Corsair can fix.  This is on the MB end.  A clear example of this is x470 owners who had no issues with this, then took the BIOS update that went along with the arrival of the x570 boards and CPUs.  The voltage spec was altered.  If stands to reason if you can be fine before a BIOS update and not after, that is a MB issue.  Same thing on the other end with any recent fixes.  Finger crossed on that, but the issue is limited to recent AMD motherboards only.

Thanks for the reply,

It would’ve been my first option if I knew these issues were going to arise with Corsair and as I said i’ve already spent loads of money on my computer and specifically Corsair parts so I expected it to work - clearly not. 

I got my computer professionally built by a reputable and local computer store.

-

I haven’t updated my BIOS, i’m not even sure if I need to update it, i’m at work right now but I will check when i’m home and try update the BIOS to see if it remedies the issue. 

If not - I guess it’s a good idea to buy the NZXT hub. Do I only connect my h100i cooler to the hub fan header? I’m not sure how it works

Cheers

The powered USB hub is typically 4-5 USB 2 ports in a row, but then there is a direct link to the board USB 2 port.  It should be about the size of your thumb.  The last bit is the most important -- it needs to have a SATA or molex power cable to connect back to the PSU.  If it doesn't, then it's just a passive USB 2 splitter and that's where the problems arise.  The board does not output enough to handle the traffic from some of these devices.  Using passive connectors (like those on the Commander Pro) just compounds the issue.  

The your number of internal USB 2 headers (1 or 2) will determine how you need to hook up.  If just one, then all the devices go on the USB hub.  That is their communication method with the board.  If two internal, you can use one device direct to the board or save that for something else if needed.  I think I might connect the Commander Pro directly since we know that one uses a bit more power and just maybe it's passthroughs could be used in a emergency.  However, we've seen it work the other way too.  The board output is so weak that no components work on direct connection and they need the hub's power to function.  In that case, the Commander might be better off on the hub.  

Which "H100i" do you have?  Platinum models appeared to be more affected compared to coolers with less going on.  

Thanks for the reply.

Okay - got it.

So speaking rhetorically here ….basically buy the NZXT USB hub > plug it in to my motherboard USB header for it to work > then plug in any other USB header I find on the back of my case to the NZXT hub (e.g. LL120 fans, cpu h100i cooler and whatnot??). 

And if I have 2 motherboard USB headers plug the Commander into the motherboard directly and then use the other USB header for the NZXT hub and then plug and play through there?

(I might be confused here)—>

Though if I only have one onboard USB motherboard header just simply plug the commander in. (Where would the NZXT hub be plugged into then? The commander?) 

Am I kinda following here? I’m a noob sorry. It’s weird how NZXT hub work and the corsair commander doesn’t… 

My CPU cooler is the: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Dual-Radiator-Liquid-Coolers/Hydro-Series™-H100i-RGB-PLATINUM-SE-240mm-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060041-WW

My motherboard: Gigabyte B550 VISION D P WIFI-AX ATX AM4 Motherboard

Cheers for your reply 

31 minutes ago, c-attack said:

The powered USB hub is typically 4-5 USB 2 ports in a row, but then there is a direct link to the board USB 2 port.  It should be about the size of your thumb. 

Sorry forgot to quote you - just in case you didn’t get a notification of my previous reply. Thanks

5 hours ago, c-attack said:

The your number of internal USB 2 headers (1 or 2) will determine how you need to hook up.  If just one, then all the devices go on the USB hub.  That is their communication method with the board.  If two internal, you can use one device direct to the board or save that for something else if needed.  I think I might connect the Commander Pro directly since we know that one uses a bit more power and just maybe it's passthroughs could be used in a emergency.  However, we've seen it work the other way too.  The board output is so weak that no components work on direct connection and they need the hub's power to function.  In that case, the Commander might be better off on the hub.  

I’ve researched and thought about this..

I will buy the NZXT hub, disconnect the current USB 2.0 header connections/cables from my motherboard and then plug them both into the NZXT hub and hopefully it runs better this way

Let’s see how I go

Yes the goal is to plug everything to the powered hub. It also requires a connexion to the power supply through a SATA cable, you should have spare unused connectors in there.

It's precisely to power every USB device you usually plug directly to the USB header on the motherboard , which is what AMD has troubles with

45 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

Yes the goal is to plug everything to the powered hub. It also requires a connexion to the power supply through a SATA cable, you should have spare unused connectors in there.

It's precisely to power every USB device you usually plug directly to the USB header on the motherboard , which is what AMD has troubles with

Thank you so much (to the both of you too!) for your help and being so precise. Ordered the NZXT Hub today so hopefully it works i’ll keep in touch!

(also I haven’t been home yet so I haven’t checked yet but — let’s just HOPE I have a free PSU SATA connection available for the hub, if not i’ll cry because i’ll have to plug in a secondary SATA cord from my PSU which will be a hassle/be tight to get through the back of my case / the other cables the PSU has lol)

1 hour ago, LeDoyen said:

Yes

Unrelated but when my local pc store built my PC I noticed that my built in RGB LED strip on the roof of my case don’t work at all.

Especially with the NZXT CAM program.. doesn’t detect it at all.. maybe they didn’t plug something in or didn’t have enough space to plug the built rgb strip light in… I do have LIAN LI STRIMER PLUS cables too so… can take some RGB input room up I think.. I’ll have a look at the rear of my case when i’m home though. 

Was just wondering maybe you’d know a solution cheers why not ask you! 🙂

Edited by starb33tle

If you just have 1 internal USB hub on the board, then the hub connects to the MB and everything else to it. It’s essentially a powered splitter. In this case, I think you should put both on the hub even if there are 2 motherboard ports. The Platinum and Commander Pro are the most affected by this issue, presumably because they draw more power than other devices.

Case LED strip - You need to be careful here. Some are 12v RGB and some are 5v D-RGB. Your MB will have both types of RGB headers. All Corsair gear is 5v so don’t connect anything from them to the board. The strip may not have any helpful markings, but hopefully it’s already connected to the board on the right type. The strimmer is 5v RGB and will connect to the D-RGB header. It is possible to connect it to a Corsair controller with a 3rd party adapter, but I am not sure if you are interested in that at this point. You would need the adapter and a RGB channel on the Commander. 

42 minutes ago, c-attack said:

If you just have 1 internal USB hub on the board, then the hub connects to the MB and everything else to it. It’s essentially a powered splitter. In this case, I think you should put both on the hub even if there are 2 motherboard ports. The Platinum and Commander Pro are the most affected by this issue, presumably because they draw more power than other devices.

Case LED strip - You need to be careful here. Some are 12v RGB and some are 5v D-RGB. Your MB will have both types of RGB headers. All Corsair gear is 5v so don’t connect anything from them to the board. The strip may not have any helpful markings, but hopefully it’s already connected to the board on the right type. The strimmer is 5v RGB and will connect to the D-RGB header. It is possible to connect it to a Corsair controller with a 3rd party adapter, but I am not sure if you are interested in that at this point. You would need the adapter and a RGB channel on the Commander. 

Thanks so much for your help and replies. Will do! I will definitely get back to you both once I obtain my NZXT Hub.

I see… so basically yes the NZXT H510 Elite case has prebuilt RGB strip inside on the top and was wondering why it isn’t working or being detected by NZXT CAM software… I mentioned the strimmer just in case that maybe were the reason it’s interfering or taking up any other RGB header space etc and just MAYBE the PC store decided to go “Hey well we won’t connect the RGB strip as we don’t have room and maybe he won’t notice” … not sure lol.

Yeah that sounds very complicated to me… at this point i’ll just have a look at the back of the rear of my case and try follow the cable if I see one & see if it’s connected somewhere? …. otherwise I won’t be able to use it.. 

I actually built a basic computer build of my partner and she has the same case and her RGB strip lights work I just can’t seem to remember what exactly I did as it was almost a year ago lol

Well I just checked the manual and it states that the strip light is a “preinstalled Rgb led connector” … i’ll have a look sometime tomorrow or something in full but i’m starting to worry the PC store has done something dodgy as to why they’re not powering on / being detected ..

Is it something native to the case model itself?  There are definitely cases that come with RGB strips are part of the chassis and not as a 3rd party add-on.  

12 hours ago, c-attack said:

Is it something native to the case model itself?  There are definitely cases that come with RGB strips are part of the chassis and not as a 3rd party add-on.  

Yes sir. Sorry if being confusing. It’s a pre installed RGB Led Strip that all NZXT h510 elite cases have. It’s not powering on. Even cam software doesn’t detect I’m worried my PC store did a dodgy or something haha. 

On 9/16/2021 at 11:02 PM, c-attack said:

So.. I got the NZXT Hub and plugged it in to the motherboard.. then plugged the 2x USB cables into my NZXT hub… the lights were fine when I was playing Monster Hunter world.. then I decided to try and stream it to my partner via Discord to show her something and then they started spazzing out and disconnected my mouse from my pc for a few seconds… I then stopped the stream and went back to my game and it seemed to continue to spaz out like usual.. it shouldn’t be doing this when I simply alt tabbed to stream my game… 

Currently i’m back in my game full screen right now, discord stream off.. and.. it’s… deciding to spaz out again?… really really weird … everything is plugged in correctly as well eg my PSU to the NZXT hub…

Another issue - I restarted my computer and now my h100i cooler is stuck on the rainbow rgb colour and it won’t change via Icue when I try to change its lighting settings. 

Edit: I restarted the icue service via the application and it kicked back into gear to the right colour settings.. but i hope this doesn’t continue to occur on future startups.. 

Edited by starb33tle

• 2 weeks later...

It’s probably time to reach out to Corsair Support and see if the conflict can be pinned down. Go into CUE settings and check the box for “debug logging”. That will allow you to export the error logs to them later. 

Most of the time these system interrupts are caused by programs fighting over access to the same physical hardware. That can be hardware monitoring programs or it can be something like your MB RGB program trying to access everything. There have been some issues with Gigabyte Fusion. 

Do you have any Corsair gear beyond the H100i Platinum and the 4 LL fans?  The cooler works exactly the same without the software and the fans will drop into hardware lighting mode. Pick a Hardware Lighting Effect preset you like and then quit CUE. A key piece of information will be if the issue stops when CUE is closed and you probably need a break from all this. There also is the possibility this is a hardware problem, specifically the Platinum AIO. This is another reason to contact Corsair Support. 

• 6 months later...

Hey man I'm having the exact same thing. I've had 2 pcs now decked with Corsair products and it makes my computer laggy / lw too alt tabbing or trying to stream discord. My computer was from origins and they are partnered with Corsair so these 2 computer are having the same problems. the first o returned because it was unberable.. 2 yrs later samething.. I do have to turn off ice sometimes but doesn't stop the lag when alt tabbing.. may be some interference with discord or something I have no idea.. u find a fix? @starb33tle