Corsair Community

Add QL140 Fans to a Hydro Series H115i?

Jonnyfour

I have an older Hydro Series H115i that I am using on a Ryzen 5 5600 x system however I have recently been upgrading parts to include QL140 and QL120 fans. I would like to change the stock cooling fans on the H115i to the QL140 but I know they need the Lighting Node Core. What is the best way to do this? Should I have the case fans on a different Lighting Node Core than the CPU cooler fans? Is there a way to tell the iCue software that certain fans are being used on the CPU AIO Cooler? Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Jonnyfour

There is no reason to put the radiator fans on a separate RGB controller from the rest of the case.  That most likely would be a disadvantage, unless you have more than 6 fans and that is necessary anyway.  The program is counting LEDs, so 140 vs 120 does not matter, but fan type does.  QL are hard to match with other fans because of the unique double sided 16/18 LED layout, but with all QL this should not be an issue.  

RGB functionality is completely separate from fan speed control, hence the two wires.  You can leave all the PWM wires dangling and the fans will be still, but light up if the RGB side is connected with power.  Same in reverse.