Corsair Community

RM750 PSU does not power up with 6+2 PCIe cable connected

I am building a new system for live streaming.  I have installed the mother board, CPU, Cooler, SSD, HDD and PSU.  With the 24-Pin ATX cable, one SATA cable, and the CPU power cable, I am able to power on the system and have installed Windows on the SSD.  When I connect the 6+2 PCIe cable so I can install the GPU, the system will not power on, even though the PCIe cable is only connected to the PSU, not the GPU.

Through limited troubleshooting, I found that if I unplug the 2 pin connector of the PCIe cable, the system will power on.  I have tried different cables and different locations on the PSU, all with the same results.

Does this sound like a bad PSU or is something else going on?  I have reached out to Tech Support, but it looks like they are closed on the weekend, so I was hoping someone in the community forum might have some ideas.

TIA!

This sounds like the wrong cable. Are you using the cables that came with the PSU? Does is say anything on the PSU side of the cable?

It should be 8-pin on the PSU side and 6+2 on the GPU side.

DevBiker - yes, I figured that out.  The cables that came with the PSU are only marked on one end, and most of them only fit with the marked end connected to the PSU.  I assumed the 6+2 would connect to the 6+2 slots on the PSU.  I hadn't tried swapping ends, but did this morning before reading your comment and it is now working.

I wish Corsair had better documentation on their equipment...

graphics card have 6 or 8 pins connectors so it's common knowledge that the 6+2 goes on the GPU end.

But... not every one knows, we all start somewhere, and yes.. Corsair has always lacked with documentation.

What you did was shorting the 12v rail to ground there, triggering the short circuit protection of the PSU. At least you know the protection works well 🙂