Corsair Community

Fan set up?

Salzoris

So i have a 5000x case and 10 fans installed. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how best to set them up. I currently have 5 pulling and 5 pushing how to achieve this i had to put one fan backwards which just looks weird.

I read you need to keep air flow neutral or positive so always more air goes in? 

Also the aio fans need to be pushing air out as hot air rises. 

6B554615-949C-44C4-90F3-C4CDF090F59B.jpeg

you can forget convection anytime fans are involved. convection is insanely weak compared to what even the slowest of fans does.

You can set the airflow any way you like. it's not mandatory to have balanced airflow.

If you keep your case in positive pressure, taking air through the dust filters, you will keep the insides clean for longer. It's a common preference, but there's no rules.

you could also do front and side intake (6 fans) and the rest as exhaust, to push the GPU's hot air out as much as possible through the back fan and the openings of the PCIE brackets, to avoid dumping all that heat through the AIO and warm up the water and the CPU.

Agree with the above and there is no need to fret about the airflow balance in most instances. Besides aesthetic preference, running fans in opposing directions only creates swirling airflow mechanics in the local area. There is nothing in that front area to cool, so this doesn’t help much. Remember, you can always adjust a positive/negative airflow balance by adjusting fan speed. The primary goal is to remove warmer air (exhaust) and replace it with cooler air (intake). 

I can’t see if there is a radiator on the front or not. If yes, you could run the side wall fans as low speed exhaust to evacuate the radiator waste heat. However, unless you are running a high watt CPU doing professional application work all day, there likely isn’t a lot of heat to remove. Most people will be better off running front and side as intake and pushing all the case air out the back and top. This usually works best in a case where the gpu is the primary heat source. If the radiator is on top as exhaust, I would also prefer that arrangement. The top radiator restricted fans can’t match the intake rate of the front 6 and that will push air out the back venting. That may help keep some of the gpu heat away from the radiator. 

If you do have a 360 radiator hiding in the side, you can use it as exhaust to directly dump waste heat out of the case. I know some people with this design still prefer intake on the side and exhausting out the top/rear. The decision may come down to personal preference or what’s on the back side of the case. If your pressed up next to a wall, the air may be warmer than expected or exhausting may not be realistic for other room placement reasons. 

Thanks. This is a full picture i have another fan for rear of the case not fitted yet as wanted to get some advice first.

I prefer the side ones all to push the heat out as this will look better when looking at it as you wont see the grills on the back of the fan. So would be like 3 pulling air in at the front. Then the aio pulling out and the 3 side fans would also be pulling out. Then could have the rear fan pulling air in. So would be 4 pulling air in and 6 pushing it out? 

how do you adjust fan speed? That a bios thing? Looked on icue but couldn’t see anything. 

E62388DC-80FC-4CF7-B4F9-CD9CEB66BBA5.jpeg

So this is how i currently have it now. I worked out the fan control. However the side and front fans are all on one button as they are connected to the commander core from the fan controller that came with the case. Is their any way to control these individualy? 

6953387A-644A-4CF7-A950-543188157D22.jpeg

The PWM hub that comes with the case will duplicate the control signal for any fan connected to it.  All 6 will run the same speed, like a powered splitter.  You should be able to take 3 off and move them to the Commander Core, but you'll need a pair of 2 way PWM splitters to do so.  

Well, with no GPU you can pretty much do what you want and the temps are going to be fine.  However, with an air cooled one in place you will be pumping GPU waste heat into the top radiator.  The rear fan needs to be exhaust for most people.  If you really want to keep the side fans in their current position for aesthetic reasons, keep the speed as low as possible.  It doesn't do much good to bring the air into the front and then blow it out 2 inches later.  That keeps the front of the case well circulated while ignoring all the hardware deeper in.  

• 6 months later...

Sorry to jump on this thread. I am about to build super similar. 5000x coming tomorrow. Using a 360mm aio lcd (corsair) and will have 10 fans. A bit confused on how to hook all 10 fans up and am worried I won't have enough usb headers.  Would you mind sharing how you hooked all of your fans up?

Edited by kevinranders