Corsair Community

Corsair XC7

hquest

Heads up for everyone building your new shiny systems: Below is my 22 month old "premium" Corsair XC7 block.

The nickel plating is peeling off. Corsair denied my RMA request because I used PETG tubing (!!!) and a "non compatible coolant" (Primochill Utopia, which is a anti-corrosive, anti-bacterial inhibitor fluid). Surprisingly, a XG7 GPU block on my 5700XT is still clear as the day it was shipped, and had zero harm by the very same PETG tubing and the same coolant. Which clearly tells me PETG or Utopia are not the issue here.

Watch out how you build your system - or how you claim on your RMA.

IMG_0722.thumb.jpg.fdc7ad9ac24d02429bcd72f4fc44e01c.jpg

image.png.148abb7d3dfda5a0117bef582b104be6.png

image.thumb.png.4d7e094668ee12d8ae42785f9c8e2664.png

lol...

the plating that peels off even beyond the o-ring, and so cleanly, that's clearly a manufacturing defect. the approved coolant list is a good excuse (but valid for the few courageous that run mayhems pastels or pure DI water).

That said, PETG is the devil's work, have to pray your summers aren't too hot.

As for the coldplate, if you can remove the nickel flakes without scratching the copper, the plate will be fine to be put back in the block. It's only aesthetic really, and not absolutely needed. Also make sure the loop doesn't have bits floating about. it could grind the pump impeller obviously.

16 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

lol...

the plating that peels off even beyond the o-ring, and so cleanly, that's clearly a manufacturing defect. the approved coolant list is a good excuse (but valid for the few courageous that run mayhems pastels or pure DI water).

That said, PETG is the devil's work, have to pray your summers aren't too hot.

I'm still baffled how on Earth would the PETG tubing cause harm to the nickel plating. That is truly beyond my comprehension. Yes, water will get warm and yes, PETG tubes do tend to deform if over 60C/140F (which doesn't take much effort when you are running any "K" processors). Which causes bad reactions as water and electricity should not mix, but it still does not explain poor plating quality.

The Primochill Utopia could be a culprit, but again, with a Corsair XG7 GPU cooler in this same system, exposed to the same chemicals, same temperatures and with zero damage/changes whatsoever thru the same lifespan of the XC7, poor plating quality is still my failure of choice.

From Corsair Limited Warranty – Corsair:

• Corsair warrants that the product will be free from defects in material and workmanship for the specified period.

Except they don't. After they collect your money, you are on your own.

Edited by hquest