Corsair Community

Jayz 2 cents video with water cooling

OneFingeredFist

Honestly hard tubes are a pain and leak easily if you transport the PC like taking it to a gaming party. Consider starting with soft tubing, seriously, unless you want a piece of art build that never leaves your desk and took a lot of aggravation. Also, the QL series will work if that's all you have but the ML series are vastly superior for pushing through radiators.

For your question about the tube size, if you watch the video in HD you can see the hardline fittings are labeled 14mm even though he doesn't mention it.

to be honest, it's rare to have people move to lan parties 😛

If you do, yes by all means do soft tubing.

the most tricky bit in this build is the tubings with more than one bend. it looks better but when you start with tube bending it's often a recipe for redoing 5 times each run. Jay is used to it, you are not, but hey, it can be done.

Also, satin tube can become clear again if you heat it too much, so it may not be the easiest to work with for a first build

• 4 weeks later...

I love Jayztwocents builds, but like LeDoyen said, Jay is used to this and he has a pretty hefty budget so when he messes up, he brushes it off and just gets a load more.  Only thing he needs to worry about is stock availability, while we worry about costs going up and up.

And yes, stick with soft tubing.  You can make soft tubing look just as good as hard tubing set ups, and have the peace of mind that you can transport your RIG and not worry about leaks.  You should Google "Soft Tubing Watercooling Setups PC" and you'll see some really awesome pictures, mainly from Reddit.  Here's one that I thought looks really cool.  Simple but looks great: First water cooling build dynamic Xl with soft tubing! : watercooling (reddit.com)

I finished my custom cooling project recently and the last decision I made for it was whether to use hard tubing or soft tubing.  I ended up using soft tubing due to the difference in cost and reliability.  Hard tubing looks great, but costs quite a bit more, is more difficult to use, and tends to be less forgiving.  Soft tubing costs a bit less, is erm... flexible, and is far more forgiving.  For a first time custom project, I would definitely recommend soft tubing.  The project can always be converted to hard tubing later with a few alterations (fittings and tubing).

And when starting, you may tend to tinker a lot, and change tube routing, loop order, move the pump about... 

I went through 6 or 7 iterations of my soft tubing loop in a year and a half before converting it to hard tubing for good 🙂

Soft tubing allows to have fun with the build at a lower cost. Definitely a good starting point.

That's true and plus the natural bend that will happen on the soft tubing over time, you can use it as a template for hard tubing to get a ballpark on how long of tubing you'd need and the angle you need to bend at without wasting so much.  However, like others have mentioned, when you start moving your PC from LAN party to LAN party, you'll start noticing some dribbles of water popping up.  Just make sure to wrap some shop towels around the fittings as best you can to collect any potential leaks during transport.  Not saying it's guaranteed to happen, but just as a precaution.

for soft tube as template... depends what tubes you use 😛

there's several diameters with different wall thicknesses that will often NOT like tight bends.

The good side of hardline is (again, depending on the wall thickness) will take way tighter bends, and several bends per tube if you desire. soft tube will only bend one way obviously