Corsair Community

HS80 microphone volume is low

On 12/2/2021 at 1:20 PM, Corsair Albert said:

Thank you for providing this, schol.

For users who are still experiencing low microphone volume, please try the method above and let us know if the issue becomes resolved. This will help us pinpoint the cause of the issue.

Tried this solution and It did not work.... any update on this? This has been a very long ongoing issue.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Same problem, tried everything already.. Schol's method didn't work for me either. Can return this headset in the next month but really hope Corsair will fix this issue. Love the product but the mic is just horrible. equalizer apo should not be the solution for this since it also boosts the volume of surrounding objects. @schol if you could help me out would be very much appreciated (Dutch as well)

Kr.

Dean

My new headset just arrived, and it occurs that I have the exact same problem as everyone else here. Since I can't use my headset until christmas (because it is a present) what do I have to do? Do you guys at corsair have a solution for us laying around the corner or is it a better idea to return the pruduct to the retailer where I bought it from and perhaps buy a headset form another brand? Since equalizer apo boost everything it can't be fixed that way because my friends can hear every keyboard and mouse press I do. It is a really cool product but this is a real dealbraker, unless you almost have a solution ready.

Same issue here. I thought I was doing something wrong on my end. This had me chasing my tail. I agree, @Zycher, Equalizer APO is not the answer -- it's a great tool, but doesn't resolve what is clearly an internal, software issue on Corsair's end. I literally only bought this headset for the mic, and now it's useless to me until this is fixed.

Same here. I need to gain this mic up in 12db in Voicemeeter to ensure everyone in my twitch stream can hear me. Pretty annoying.

Its on every firmware. Since i returned the headset months ago i recently have bought 4 new units in different countries. Two units from different retailers in the Netherlands and two in Germany. They all have this issue and returned them all. Dont know why corsair is stalling this. They dont need to wait for people RMAing units, all they have to is take one from storage. All units seem to have this issue. It makes me think there is no fix for this.

I really like the comfort and how it feels like an open headset, thats why i bought them again but im done now. Its not worth it. Will keep checking here to see if they fixed it but i really think the only thing that fixes it is a redesign and a v2 of the hardware. If they end up boosting dB in iCue its the same as al the workarounds and noise levels will be boosted too. Thats not an option for me.

• Like 1

I was on the verge of purchasing this headset, I'll say that I am quite shocked that's multiple users have been reporting this issue since early September.and we are now half through December and the dev is complaining about not having demo head sets to analyze? I am very shocked at the developers taking months and months to fix a software glitch that makes the headset unplayable for online gaming if you cannot communicate with your team.

I was looking at a Youtube video that Hardware Canucks posted today about gaming headsets, and although he did recommend this headset, I was looking at the comments and seen this problem posted in the comments section, decided to take a peak for myself and now after seeing this problem persist for over 4 months I am very very worried about taking a chance buying this headset. How can you restore my confidence to buy this product Albert? 

And I will mention that I've seen many people report that the battery life is 50% of what is advertised. What is going on with this product Albert?

Edited by Precise

Have the same problem. Bought this in the beginning of the month. Unfortunately I cant return it either. Never buying from this company again. Should have learned my lesson when my CorsairOne computer tanked within a year, but I saw so many reviewers saying how good this headset was. Should have just gone with razr

I am experiencing 

On 12/10/2021 at 9:29 AM, Corsair Albert said:

We are still investigating the issue and attempting to bring in units that experiencing this issue for analysis - which is unfortunately taking longer than expected for arrival. 

Hi @Corsair Albert, is there an update on the investigation? I am also experiencing the same problem for the mic output and have tried the various solutions here. I also agree that the "temporary fix" which is using "Equalizer APO is not the answer". I am checking this daily for updates so I'm hoping there is a fix for this. Thank you.

Hi Corsair,

Is there any solution to the microphone problem? I detected a problem with the microphone today. Before that, everything was fine. I bought headphones on 15/12/2021 and they worked properly until 12/17/2021.

I hope the problem will be solved before Christmas. I work a lot in remote sessions and I can't imagine having such shitty headphones anymore. Otherwise, I pack these "great" headphones in a box and send them back to you.

• Corsair Employees

HI all,

I will provide an update once available. Just a friendly reminder that the microphone is flexible and may be contoured to be closer to your mouth, so your speech may be louder and easier to pick up.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. For any additional troubleshooting, please feel free to open a ticket with our support here, they will gladly assist you.

2 hours ago, Corsair Albert said:

HI all,

I will provide an update once available. Just a friendly reminder that the microphone is flexible and may be contoured to be closer to your mouth, so your speech may be louder and easier to pick up.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. For any additional troubleshooting, please feel free to open a ticket with our support here, they will gladly assist you.

I positioned the microphone directly in front of my mouth with only a few millimeters between the mic and my mouth. Doing a Windows mic test, with mic levels set to 100%, the mic volume only reached 18% (from 12%). So, yes, positioning closer increased the volume, but it is still extremely quiet, picking up harsh P's and Q's, and sounds terrible. It's somehow peaking while only outputing 18% of its potential. Very odd. Your suggestion, @Corsair Albert, is one that unfortunately does not correct the issue that folks are experiencing and describing in this forum. Personally, my best option is to return these, buy a reliable product from a company other than Corsair, and warn others of this product and the Corsair team's inability to properly address this problem or come up with a satisfactory resolution.

Edited by rockwaterreese
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, rockwaterreese said:

I positioned the microphone directly in front of my mouth with only a few millimeters between the mic and my mouth. Doing a Windows mic test, with mic levels set to 100%, the mic volume only reached 18% (from 12%). So, yes, positioning closer increased the volume, but it is still extremely quiet, picking up harsh P's and Q's, and sounds terrible. It's somehow peaking while only outputing 18% of its potential. Very odd. Your suggestion, @Corsair Albert, is one that unfortunately does not correct the issue that folks are experiencing and describing in this forum. Personally, my best option is to return these, buy a reliable product from a company other than Corsair, and warn others of this product and the Corsair team's inability to properly address this problem or come up with a satisfactory resolution.

Harsh P's and T's****

4 hours ago, Corsair Albert said:

Just a friendly reminder that the microphone is flexible and may be contoured to be closer to your mouth, so your speech may be louder and easier to pick up.

Are u mocking us? There is a serious issue with the headset. This is not a user fault. Why on earth, after all that is known, would u say something like this? Makes me think corsair is not doing anything about this issue. As long as reviewers ignore this flaw and most consumers think its normal because they dont know better it does not seem corsair is going to fix their faulty product at all.

@dorian_ My advice would be send them while u can. This does not seem to go anywhere. U can always rebuy them when its solved but i dont think we can expect that any time soon.

Edited by jezzer

Just got the headset, also having this issue. Updated windows and tried @schol's solution, no luck. I will say that having used the old version of cue (where the icon was still the sails, headset was corsair void), then jumping to icue (using the same headset) the mic volume significantly decreased, and I ended up switching back to the old version because of that. Now updating to the newest icue for the HS80, it seems that the mic volume has dropped yet again. Could adding compatibility to an older icue version be a short term solution? But in any case I think this might be an avenue for exploration @Corsair Albert, cause it seems like every time corsair has launched a new app, mic volume has dropped.

I'm hopeful that this will be solved soon, cause it is kind of a letdown, especially since I like loud sidetone. Good luck.

• Corsair Employees
On 12/20/2021 at 4:51 PM, jezzer said:

Are u mocking us? There is a serious issue with the headset. This is not a user fault. Why on earth, after all that is known, would u say something like this? Makes me think corsair is not doing anything about this issue. As long as reviewers ignore this flaw and most consumers think its normal because they dont know better it does not seem corsair is going to fix their faulty product at all.

@dorian_ My advice would be send them while u can. This does not seem to go anywhere. U can always rebuy them when its solved but i dont think we can expect that any time soon.

I apologize if it seems that way - that is not my intent at all. We've come to the realization that not every HS80 user knows the HS80's microphone is bendable. The microphone is portrayed (from certain images/videos, to receiving product in hand) as being straight and stiff. Without being a CORSAIR employee, I personally wouldn't immediately realize the microphone's flexibility and wouldn't want to risk breaking the microphone off by attempting to bend it. Hence, just a friendly reminder.

22 hours ago, Justcallmeivan said:

Just got the headset, also having this issue. Updated windows and tried @schol's solution, no luck. I will say that having used the old version of cue (where the icon was still the sails, headset was corsair void), then jumping to icue (using the same headset) the mic volume significantly decreased, and I ended up switching back to the old version because of that. Now updating to the newest icue for the HS80, it seems that the mic volume has dropped yet again. Could adding compatibility to an older icue version be a short term solution? But in any case I think this might be an avenue for exploration @Corsair Albert, cause it seems like every time corsair has launched a new app, mic volume has dropped.

I'm hopeful that this will be solved soon, cause it is kind of a letdown, especially since I like loud sidetone. Good luck.

Thank you for your input, Justcallmeivan. The old iCUE version - are you referring to CORSAIR LINK, or iCUE 3? Regardless, this information is useful and appreciated.

I got an HS80 for Christmas and have seen similar issues, but strangely it's not necessarily a problem depending on what I'm doing. I get low mic volume when I test the mic in windows settings (max heard of 4% to 6%), and when I use voice recorder to make a test recording. However, when I use Google Duo, Microsoft Teams, or in-game voice chat in Fallout 76 others say they can hear me just fine and that the mic volume is no lower than with my other headset (SteelSeries Arctis 7.) I'm not using Equalizer APO or anything to boost the mic level. I have tested on three different computers and got the same result on each. I went out and bought a Logitech G535 yesterday to test with, and while that gives a much louder mic volume in the windows mic test thing (around 25%) it didn't really make a difference in other apps/games else since others can hear me fine with either headset. I don't know if there's something else behind the scenes (DirectX maybe?) boosting or normalizing the mic volume in certain apps/games that isn't getting used when testing the volume in Windows or when using certain other apps like Voice Recorder? This could also be why some people report this issue while others don't. Low mic gain could be present on every single HS80 produced so far, but the issue might be masked by software boosting the mic gain only in certain apps?

54 minutes ago, SnazZ said:

I got an HS80 for Christmas and have seen similar issues, but strangely it's not necessarily a problem depending on what I'm doing. I get low mic volume when I test the mic in windows settings (max heard of 4% to 6%), and when I use voice recorder to make a test recording. However, when I use Google Duo, Microsoft Teams, or in-game voice chat in Fallout 76 others say they can hear me just fine and that the mic volume is no lower than with my other headset (SteelSeries Arctis 7.) I'm not using Equalizer APO or anything to boost the mic level. I have tested on three different computers and got the same result on each. I went out and bought a Logitech G535 yesterday to test with, and while that gives a much louder mic volume in the windows mic test thing (around 25%) it didn't really make a difference in other apps/games else since others can hear me fine with either headset. I don't know if there's something else behind the scenes (DirectX maybe?) boosting or normalizing the mic volume in certain apps/games that isn't getting used when testing the volume in Windows or when using certain other apps like Voice Recorder? This could also be why some people report this issue while others don't. Low mic gain could be present on every single HS80 produced so far, but the issue might be masked by software boosting the mic gain only in certain apps?

I think this may be because that apps have AGC (Automatic gain control). More info this post 

Edited by RuF0
typo
  • Thanks 1