Corsair Community

HS80 microphone volume is low

• Corsair Employee
32 minutes ago, yoann285 said:

Just bought it and exact same issue. 

HS80: 5.6.39

Firmware ICUE 4.15.153

Please fix this Corsair. 

Thank you for providing this information, yoann285.

Has anyone checked their Headset Microphone level via Sound Control Panel? You can navigate to this by doing the following:

1. Open "Sound settings" via taskbar's speaker icon or searchbar
  2. Click on "Sound Control Panel" on right hand side, under "Related Settings"
  3. Click on "Recording" tab
  4. Select the HS80 RGB WIRELESS and click "Properties"
  5. Click on "Levels" tab
  6. Make sure volume is set to 100, example below.

image.png.5d6634f73b128d1dde2033de3546c8df.png

If the low microphone volume persists, please provide the specific firmware and iCUE version being used (screenshots are even better) - that would be greatly appreciated. We are looking into this.

I've not had an issue, but I also haven't checked if the mics reduced; 

Tho I have had an issue in the past 48hours with the headset in USB mode crackling or suddenly completely becoming distorted; 

Also noted in wireless mode sometimes alittle static from time to time; but with a reboot it can be resolved

But both of these issues could be a port/usb issue

2 hours ago, Corsair Albert said:

For those on firmware 5.6.39, can you try forcing a firmware update to see if it provides any improvement? To do so, select your HS80 headset in iCUE, navigate to "Device Settings", check for update, then navigate to the vertical "..." that appears.

image.png.5773f06c8b0816004c4eca68f13be3fb.png

Tried that and no there was no change.

3 hours ago, Corsair Albert said:

For those on firmware 5.6.39, can you try forcing a firmware update to see if it provides any improvement? To do so, select your HS80 headset in iCUE, navigate to "Device Settings", check for update, then navigate to the vertical "..." that appears.

image.png.5773f06c8b0816004c4eca68f13be3fb.png

no difference

On 9/23/2021 at 2:54 PM, Corsair Albert said:

What HS80 firmware and iCUE version is everyone running with this issue?

I will have to notate the exact firmware versions when I get off work but they are running the latest versions as iCue says there are no new updates when I try to update the software and firmware via iCue.

I fixed my mic problem. I just returned the headset. Dirtytape originally made his post on September 1st, he didn't get a reply from a Corsair employee until a week later on September 8th. After that i chimed in on September 9th and others days afterwards. No response from employees until September 23. Yeah...i'm not waiting anymore. I was willing to accept the battery life and range of my HS80 was nowhere its advertised range of 60 feet and 20 hrs since i only got 8-9 hrs and like 15-20 feet. I was willing to accept the sidetone was extremely weak and useless but i bought a headset to i can talk to my friends while playing games and if they can't hear me, well its just not worth it anymore. I really was hoping there was going to be a firmware/software update that could fix the issue and you would think they would try to address issues for a new product launch but no, they won't. I looked into this a little further and it seems like the same issue occurs for the HS70 and Void Elite Pro years ago where the Corsair employee's only replies were asking if people were using the latest iCue and firmware. Yes, same situation here. After going through those threads and seeing how it never got resolved. I tested the headset on my self built PC, Samsung laptop and a 2020 M1 Mac Mini. All 3 computers yielded the same low mic issue. Definitely not my hardware that is the issue. I don't think it will ever get resolved for the HS80 and if you can still return yours, you probably should and get something you'll be happy with. This is the last Corsair product i'll ever buy. Links to the older headsets with low mic issues below.

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/163928-void-elite-rgb-quiet-mic/page/2/

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/145975-hs70-mic-level-so-low-its-unusable/

3 hours ago, Levin83 said:

I fixed my mic problem. I just returned the headset. Dirtytape originally made his post on September 1st, he didn't get a reply from a Corsair employee until a week later on September 8th. After that i chimed in on September 9th and others days afterwards. No response from employees until September 23. Yeah...i'm not waiting anymore. I was willing to accept the battery life and range of my HS80 was nowhere its advertised range of 60 feet and 20 hrs since i only got 8-9 hrs and like 15-20 feet. I was willing to accept the sidetone was extremely weak and useless but i bought a headset to i can talk to my friends while playing games and if they can't hear me, well its just not worth it anymore. I really was hoping there was going to be a firmware/software update that could fix the issue and you would think they would try to address issues for a new product launch but no, they won't. I looked into this a little further and it seems like the same issue occurs for the HS70 and Void Elite Pro years ago where the Corsair employee's only replies were asking if people were using the latest iCue and firmware. Yes, same situation here. After going through those threads and seeing how it never got resolved. I tested the headset on my self built PC, Samsung laptop and a 2020 M1 Mac Mini. All 3 computers yielded the same low mic issue. Definitely not my hardware that is the issue. I don't think it will ever get resolved for the HS80 and if you can still return yours, you probably should and get something you'll be happy with. This is the last Corsair product i'll ever buy. Links to the older headsets with low mic issues below.

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/145975-hs70-mic-level-so-low-its-unusable/

Well dang. Good research. I'm super happy with my headset after fixing the mic issue myself. Corsair needs to fix this issue but I get good battery life and range and I'm happy enough with it.

@Corsair Albert Any update on this regarding a software or firmware fix? Just got my HS80 today and sitting with the same issue. Everything is maxed on mic level but on Discord people can hardly hear me. Also listening to myself with the mic test I can barely hear myself. 

Really not looking to go through the hassle of a RMA process. I am in South Africa and RMA's take a literal month here if you are lucky even if your product is clearly defective. Its a nightmare.

Please tell me you have a working fix.

On 10/13/2021 at 11:08 PM, iHave said:

@Corsair Albert Any update on this regarding a software or firmware fix? Just got my HS80 today and sitting with the same issue. Everything is maxed on mic level but on Discord people can hardly hear me. Also listening to myself with the mic test I can barely hear myself. 

Really not looking to go through the hassle of a RMA process. I am in South Africa and RMA's take a literal month here if you are lucky even if your product is clearly defective. Its a nightmare.

Please tell me you have a working fix.

Same problem here, I live in Kuwait and It's a hassle for me to return it back to amazon.

Please let us know if there will be a firmware update to fix this issue 

On 10/6/2021 at 10:36 PM, Levin83 said:

I have to agree with your post.  I have experience the same problems that you have listed.  The battery life is also around 8-9 hours (with all led disabled) and the range is pretty terrible.  I know you can use Equalizer APO as a workaround but the customer should never be force to install 3rd party software in order to fix a 1st party problem.  This will probably be my first and last headset I get from Corsair.  I don't think exchanging the headset will fix the problem when it is a software related issue.

Same here.

It seems the mic capsule is producing a very low signal (that's also why sidetone it barely doing anything).
I don't think this is a "bug", but simply the way the mic capsule of this headset works and a slightly bad decision from corsair.
Corsair completely relies on the application that you use to be able to further boost the signal, as Discord does with the AGC (automatic gain control) feature to get a signal level that is usable.

It would be nice it Corsair would rework their driver and add a software/driver level boost feature that can be set between 0 and 20dB for boosting the signal (even if this increases the noise floor).

I use the low signal to my advantage (as the mic is not clipping, even if you scream/yell) and install APO Equalizer + reaper VST Plugins.
I enable APO Equalizer for the HS80 microphone and add the reaper compressor in APO. With 16dB makeup gain an a threshold of around -28dB with a ratio of 3:1 my mic signal is always between -18 and -10dB when speaking and it get's limited to aroun -6dB when yelling/screaming.

Edited by BK-Morpheus