Corsair Community

H100i Elite Capellix - What sensor to configure fan profile to?

I don't know which sensor I should be using. Is it coolant? Also am I OK to run the pump on quiet? On Balanced its way to loud, even though its only 100-150 rpm faster. My coolant temp at idle stays at 30c, and it reads package temp at about 38c. I am using

H100i elite capellix

5800x cpu

• Corsair Employee

The predefined fan curves are fairly generic, so it may be worthwhile to configure a custom curve based on your noise preferences. 

If you are using the coolant temp as a guide, 50c is generally the safe limit.

The 5800x also runs hot, and has a thermal limit of 90c before it will begin throttling.

If you're using the CPU temp to set the fan curve, I would suggest setting the speed so that it's at a comfortable noise level and then ramping it up gradually as the temps go past 50-60c.

1 hour ago, Corsair Perd said:

The predefined fan curves are fairly generic, so it may be worthwhile to configure a custom curve based on your noise preferences. 

If you are using the coolant temp as a guide, 50c is generally the safe limit.

The 5800x also runs hot, and has a thermal limit of 90c before it will begin throttling.

If you're using the CPU temp to set the fan curve, I would suggest setting the speed so that it's at a comfortable noise level and then ramping it up gradually as the temps go past 50-60c.

Thanks, is it suggested to use coolant temp or cpu temp though?

Coolant temperature (H100i Temp).  This is the value the fans effect (removing heat from the coolant).  They don't impact the CPU temp directly, except by lowering the coolant temperature that is also the CPU temp baseline/minimum.  

When you create the custom curve, there are a couple of shape tool in the corner.  They correspond to the presets.  Select the "Quiet" profile one, then shift the baseline speed at idle to where you need and potentially lower or extend the max fan blast to a higher temperature than 40C.  What's best will depend on your environment.  You can't lower temp below ambient and if it is 40C in the case, then that is low as the coolant will go too.  No need to run the fans at 2000 rpm in those circumstances.  

Edited by c-attack

On 8/31/2021 at 5:08 PM, c-attack said:

Coolant temperature (H100i Temp).  This is the value the fans effect (removing heat from the coolant).  They don't impact the CPU temp directly, except by lowering the coolant temperature that is also the CPU temp baseline/minimum.  

When you create the custom curve, there are a couple of shape tool in the corner.  They correspond to the presets.  Select the "Quiet" profile one, then shift the baseline speed at idle to where you need and potentially lower or extend the max fan blast to a higher temperature than 40C.  What's best will depend on your environment.  You can't lower temp below ambient and if it is 40C in the case, then that is low as the coolant will go too.  No need to run the fans at 2000 rpm in those circumstances.  

Thanks I set it up looking at the CPU temp, but this 5800x chip definitely can have some temperature spikes (that I was already aware of). Setting up the curve using the amd package temp was making my fans ramp up FAST then slow down sometimes when opening big applications. I'll try out the Coolant Temp. I'm pretty consistently at 70 F indoor temp. Coolant temp goes between 30-32c at low load (like while typing this).

Edited by jam3s121

It takes time for the water to soak up heat, so ramping up fan speed with CPU load makes absolutely no difference 🙂

those momentary spikes are absorbed by the water. all you need to worry about is water temperature and keeping it in check.

That's one of the good sides of watercooling, it generates way less audible nuisance with fans speeding up and down.