Corsair Community

Pump has started making a grinding noise

Dredj

I've had my Corsair H150i for 25 months, I'm one month out of warranty and my pump has started grinding on system boot. It's been fine with zero issues for 24 months and now this grinding noise.

So the grinding noise is sometimes present on a cold boot, sometimes it's there for a few seconds and sometimes it can hang around for 10 minutes like today before fading away. Two days ago I turned my PC on from cold and went to my kitchen and the pump started performing, it sounded like a chainsaw revving.

My RTX 3080 fan doesn't spin and I turned all my case fans off so they were not spinning either, I can only think it's the Pump and sticking my ear into my case(750D) it sure sounds like the noise is coming from the pump and it was the only "moving part".

Thoughts? 

Are you sure your warranty is only 2 years?  Typically it is 5, although local laws are still the governing factor. Do you have a H150i Pro or H150i XT?

Actual mechanical grinding is bad and will always require replacement. Trapped air can emit a “groaning” sound that is a bit different but can be mistaken for mechanical noise. To try and release the air out of the pump/block area, lift one end of case up so the in/out tubes are higher than the pump. Hopefully the air bubbles out into a less distracting place (the radiator). Getting air trapped in the block isn’t difficult and is likely if you just took the unit down for cleaning, maintenance, etc.  

If it is real grinding, contact Corsair Support from the link at the top of the page. That’s not something you should try and suffer through. Eventually that grinding will go away, when the pump stops moving entirely. 

Edited by c-attack

26 minutes ago, c-attack said:

Are you sure your warranty is only 2 years?  Typically it is 5, although local laws are still the governing factor. Do you have a H150i Pro or H150i XT?

Actual mechanical grinding is bad and will always require replacement. Trapped air can emit a “groaning” sound that is a bit different but can be mistaken for mechanical noise. To try and release the air out of the pump/block area, lift one end of case up so the in/out tubes are higher than the pump. Hopefully the air bubbles out into a less distracting place (the radiator). Getting air trapped in the block isn’t difficult and is likely if you just took the unit down for cleaning, maintenance, etc.  

If it is real grinding, contact Corsair Support from the link at the top of the page. That’s not something you should try and suffer through. Eventually that grinding will go away, when the pump stops moving entirely. 

I think it's two years, at least that's when the return window closed on Amazon, July 2021. And it's the H150i PRO.

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Hydro-Series™-PRO-RGB-Liquid-CPU-Coolers/p/CW-9060031-WW

That's an H150i Pro and unless you bought a refurbished model from Amazon, the warranty is going to 5 years in the UK.  Contact Corsair Support.

Good news and bad news, it's not Corsair's equipment making the noise. It's actually the useless mini fan most x570 mobo's have on the southbridge.

My mobo brand has a famously horrible noisy fan on it and I usually have it turned low but when I got my 3080 I turned it to 30% which is nearly inaudible, however, recently I've been hearing fluctuating frequencies and being pretty sure it's that fan I went into BIOS to lower it. Every time a change is made to that fan it revs up then lowers to whatever duty I set, and doing this is how I found out it's not the Corsair AIO pump as every time I made the change the grinding would kick in.

Edited by Dredj
Clarity.