Corsair Community

Help Please Ram Guy

ihjones

Help Please Ram Guy, I too am having some issue with the BIOS configuration settings on the IC7-G MB to run PC3200LL memory at tested speeds. The following is best timing without errors using Memtest v1.55..

P4 3.0 GHz (Northwood) 800Mhz FSB

TwinX1024-PC3200LLPRO

memory module on slot 1 & 3

Softmenu Setup

CPU Operating Speed: User Defined

CPU Clock/AGP/PCI: 200/66/33

CPU/DRAM ratio: 1:1 (400MHz?)

AGP ratio: Fixed

AGP/PCI: 66/33

N/B Strap CPU As: By CPU (what ever that is?)

DDR Voltage: 2.7 Volts (only 2.7, 2.8, or 2.9 available in that range)

AGP Voltage: 1.6 Volts (using Radeon 9600XT)

Advanced Chipset: (why the ABIT BIOS does not conform to the JEDEC spec's is beyond me but this is how the BIOS lists the timings)...

DRAM Timing Settings: Manual

DRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

DRAM Active to Precharge Delay: 7T

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4T

DRAM RAS# Precharge: 4T

All other settings set to default settings

AGP Aperture Size: 128MB (Although Abit tech suggested 256?? but I feel this could jeopardize the video integrity)

Game Accelerator: Auto

Same memory in an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe will run timings of 2-3-2-6 @ DDR400 (1:1) with a Prescott P4 3.0ghz. It's as if the AUTO mode selection of the Game Accelerator is not 'Disabled' as ABIT assures me it is... the errors increase dramatically at each change from 'Auto' to 'Turbo' to 'Street Racer' and finally 'F1'. Maybe you have some suggestions and perhaps an alternative configuration that will help this memory run at it's rated speed?? Also, what is the max dram voltage allowable without voiding warranty? note: as stated above that 0.05v increments are only available up to 2.65v thereafter in increments of 0.1 volts.

Also, is it true that using 4 sticks of say 256MB in each slot of a dual channel configuration might actually be slower than an equal type of 512MB memory utilizing only two slots (one in each channel) due to memory controller limitations? Just curious as I'm unable to find a straight answer..

Thanks, Ian

Same memory in an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe will run timings of 2-3-2-6 @ DDR400 (1:1) with a Prescott P4 3.0ghz.

Also, what is the max dram voltage allowable without voiding warranty? note: as stated above that 0.05v increments are only available up to 2.65v thereafter in increments of 0.1 volts.

Also, is it true that using 4 sticks of say 256MB in each slot of a dual channel configuration might actually be slower than an equal type of 512MB memory utilizing only two slots (one in each channel) due to memory controller limitations?

Memory is warrantied up to, but not over, 2.9 volts.

Yes, the memory controller has to do more work when 4 sticks are used versus 2 sicks, and as such performs less. In normal uses you may not notice the difference, but when OCing a system the difference shows.

Memory is warrantied up to, but not over, 2.9 volts.

Yes, the memory controller has to do more work when 4 sticks are used versus 2 sicks, and as such performs less. In normal uses you may not notice the difference, but when OCing a system the difference shows.

Thanks for the info.. Meanwhile with ref. to original post any ideas as to settings for this ABIT IC7-G??

Thanks

Archived