Corsair Community

Corsair ML fan doesn't spin with iCUE running

edgajudo

Hi, everyone I am looking for some help troubleshooting an issue that I have. So I recently purchased a H150i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler. Additionally to that I previously had 2x 140mm ML fans and 1x 120mm fan. Now everything is plugged into the Commander CORE. The trouble that I am having is that one of the fans stops spinning if iCUE is running. Closing iCUE makes it spin again. After updating to the new iCUE 4 software the problem was fixed but after some time and a new update made the problem reappear again. I Tried reinstalling iCUE but that didn't help. Anyone have any ideas or solutions? Thank you.

Edited by edgajudo

What control curve is assigned to the fan that stops?  One of the presets?  Or custom curve?  If custom, can you post a picture?

The Commander Core uses an auto-detect protocol to determine whether a PWM fan is present on a header when the device first powers on. It seems there is a problem on that header or with that fan. A couple of things you can do… 

1) Start a Support ticket with Corsair from the link at the top of the page. Chances are you will need a new fan or a new controller and both of those will need to come from Corsair. 

2) Swap the fan that keeps stopping with another fan from one of the other ports. You need to know if this is a problem with the fan wire/connector or if the problem is always with the same Commander Core header. 

The reinstall of the software forces another re-detect of the PWM side. You also can do this by shutting down and then booting up again. I am not sure which is more tedious. 

6 hours ago, c-attack said:

The Commander Core uses an auto-detect protocol to determine whether a PWM fan is present on a header when the device first powers on. It seems there is a problem on that header or with that fan. A couple of things you can do… 

1) Start a Support ticket with Corsair from the link at the top of the page. Chances are you will need a new fan or a new controller and both of those will need to come from Corsair. 

2) Swap the fan that keeps stopping with another fan from one of the other ports. You need to know if this is a problem with the fan wire/connector or if the problem is always with the same Commander Core header. 

The reinstall of the software forces another re-detect of the PWM side. You also can do this by shutting down and then booting up again. I am not sure which is more tedious. 

Yeah so it definitely has something to do with Commander CORE. Any fan that I plug into port 4 stops spinning if iCUE is running and doesn't show up. It's just so weird that sometimes iCUE magically decides to work as intended.

It's possible a forced firmware update could correct this, but you shouldn't do this repeatedly or without reason on the Commander Core since it also powers the pump.  You can wait for Corsair Support to recommend that step or something else.  

In the meantime, if you have a PWM splitter lying around, you can move it to another port to share with another ML.