Corsair Community

AX860 PSU dead, what new PSU would take the same cables?

brexitnation

Last year, I bought a second hand water cooled computer with an AX860 PSU. Unfortunately I think the PSU is dead. More unfortunately, since I didn't build it, I don't know how to take it apart either. 

Maybe the easiest solution is to buy another Corsair PSU that is fully modular and so would take the cables that came with the old AX860 and slot it in exactly the same slots with a new PSU?? That way, I don't have to try to take apart a loaded water cooled rig just to get old cables out. 

What new Corsair PSU would allow me to transplant wholesale the cables from an old AX860 unit and just put the new one where the old one is? 

Thanks 

Edited by brexitnation

It depends on exactly which flavor of AX you have.

Look here: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility.

22 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

It depends on exactly which flavor of AX you have.

Look here: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility.

So if I'm understanding this right, if I went out and bought a new AXi psu that is in current production, I would only need to swap out the 24pin ATX cable? And every other cable can stay where they are? 

One last bit of info before I go to bed and not panicking after returning home to find a dead computer. 

The current cables plugged into the AX860 is has red nylon sleeving. I think way back when the AX860 was released in 2012 it had black cables. The guy I bought the computer from might have already changed the cables from stock...

from the part number it's an AX platinum so you'd only need to replace the 24 pin cable yes.

Maybe the previous owner got a set of custom corsair cables. Depending on the model you get (if it's type 3 or type 4 24 pin cable) you can get it in red

https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/c/Cor_Products_Accessories_Parts?q=%3Afeatured%3AproductCategories%3ACor_Products_Accessories_Parts_PCComponents_PowerSupplies&text=&pageSize=#rotatingText

6 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

from the part number it's an AX platinum so you'd only need to replace the 24 pin cable yes.

Maybe the previous owner got a set of custom corsair cables. Depending on the model you get (if it's type 3 or type 4 24 pin cable) you can get it in red

https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/c/Cor_Products_Accessories_Parts?q=%3Afeatured%3AproductCategories%3ACor_Products_Accessories_Parts_PCComponents_PowerSupplies&text=&pageSize=#rotatingText

I'm waiting for Amazon to ship a psu tester tomorrow, but if it is the psu, what current psu from corsair do you recommend I replace it with? 

Is AX series no longer being made or just not possible to get? The HX or RM are in stock where I am. Wonder if the HX series have been updated internally over the years to make a new hx as good as a 2013 AX.

Hopefully a psu that won't take out the rest of the rig if it dies. My pc was switched off before I left the house and wouldn't switch on again after I came back. Hopefully dying "peacefully" is better than dying at full load...

Edited by brexitnation

Well, personally i don't see the benefit from going to an AX unless you specifically need 1600W.

The lower power models don't have anything in my opinion that justifies the price difference with an HX.

HX is 80+ platinum like your AX was. Current AX are platinum or titanium. Both these and the new AX are better anyway 🙂

It's yours to see if you need the added features of the current AX. Very few people need individual OCP unless dealing with extreme overclocking. got to weight features vs price (and availability).

they are all good choices

A current model RX would also be a good choice and more economical. While they are "only" 80+ Gold, they are also solid PSUs. I can't say how these would compare to a 13 y/o PSU when it was new. But the RM's comes up to 1000W so that should be plenty of power.

On 8/30/2021 at 3:41 PM, LeDoyen said:

Well, personally i don't see the benefit from going to an AX unless you specifically need 1600W.

The lower power models don't have anything in my opinion that justifies the price difference with an HX.

HX is 80+ platinum like your AX was. Current AX are platinum or titanium. Both these and the new AX are better anyway 🙂

It's yours to see if you need the added features of the current AX. Very few people need individual OCP unless dealing with extreme overclocking. got to weight features vs price (and availability).

they are all good choices

On 8/30/2021 at 5:10 PM, DevBiker said:

A current model RX would also be a good choice and more economical. While they are "only" 80+ Gold, they are also solid PSUs. I can't say how these would compare to a 13 y/o PSU when it was new. But the RM's comes up to 1000W so that should be plenty of power.

Thank you both. Good news, at least from the PSU side of things. After testing with PSU power tester I had to wait from Amazon for a day, it is determined that my Corsair AX860 PSU is fine, after comparing with a fully functional EVGA Supernova P2 1000w from previous build that I kept in a cupboard for emergencies. If I had to buy another corsair psu, I would have gone for a HX over RM. I prefer to overspec the PSU, 50 extra dollars is neither here nor there when the rest of system is 50x that. 

In case it helps anyone, don't buy a Gigabyte motherboard, especially the "high end models" like X570 Aorus Master. Not only did I struggle last year with poor mobo RGB lighting implementation, there appears to also be long running problem where a motherboard will randomly refuse to boot up unless you physically remove the CMOS battery (something may/may not be ErP related). Which is bloody inconvenient, as its blocked by the graphics card. In my case, because its water-cooled and all cables had been zip tied down, I had to resort to plastic dental floss sticks to pop out the battery. 

Also, if you buy a computer that you didn't build and don't know how to build, any repairs or maintenance will be a nightmare. For me, I will go back to air cooling that I will build myself the next time. Dismantling a water cooled loop is a nightmare.

Edited by brexitnation