Corsair Community

H150i, iCUE software and fan control with and without iCUE running in background- why does fan speed vary when I close/open iCUE?

Hi-

I just completed a build with 4000X and H150i.  Motherboard is ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XIII APEX.  I am using 6 fans- the 3 that came with the 4000X (left in place) and the three that came with the H150i (2 top, one rear).  The H150i radiator is front-mounted vertically behind the 3 front case fans.  I have connected all fan power connectors to the Commander Core, but have not connected any of the fan RGB connectors to anything (I don't want the RGB fans for now).  The Commander Core is connected per manual instructions.  The pump tach cable is connected to CPU_FAN header on the motherboard (not a fixed-rate fan header).  Asus smart fan control is off; all Asus fan auto/ control options are off.  No other fans are connected to the motherboard or anywhere else.

I can control speed of all 6 fans and pump speed via iCUE.  HOWEVER- if I completely close iCUE (not running in background), only the pump speed holds as set (to "balanced" or "quiet", for example).  Once I completely close iCUE, I can hear the 6 fans slightly adjust speed and remain at the adjusted speed.  Then, when open iCUE again, I can hear (and see via iCUE) all 6 fans adjusting speed again and holding the adjusted speed.  Most custom profiles for any/all of the 6 fans do not stick when I completely close iCUE.  The only way the 6 fan speeds stick as set in iCUE after I close iCUE is using the fixed percentage/RPM options.  Custom curves do not stick.  Setting "balanced" or "quiet" or "extreme" does not properly stick either- give the fan speed adjustments I hear whenever I open/close iCUE with any of those options previously selected.  Again- only the pump speed sticks when I completely close iCUE.

What is the default profile that is engaged for all 6 fans in my configuration _after I completely close iCUE_ and with balanced/quiet/extreme or custom curve selected?  What temp sensor(s) is the default profile using then?  Why don't any custom settings or profiles stick after I completely close iCUE, apart from the "pump" setting (ie., "balanced")?  Must iCUE be running for these fan settings to work?  Thanks!

Yours,
L

Edited by lerroot

What are you using for the sensor control source for the fans?

Any source that is from a system sensor (like CPU temp) won't work when iCUE isn't running. If you want the fan curves to "stick", the source temp has to come from the Commander Core itself (like the pump temp). You have a single thermistor that you can connect to the Commander Core - that works beautifully and will let you control the case airflow fans based on the interior case temperature.

10 hours ago, DevBiker said:

What are you using for the sensor control source for the fans?

There is no option that I am aware of to set "sensor control source" for the fans unless you create a custom filter- among my several questions listed above: I need to know what sensor is used for the provided quiet/balanced/extreme profiles.  I assume it's "H150i Elite Capellix Temp", but I need confirmation.  When the provided quiet/balanced/extreme profiles are selected and iCUE is closed, they do not stick, yet the fans still run.  Need to know how they are still running w/o iCUE, what temp sensor they ref, etc.  It's not the same as when the provided quiet/balanced/extreme profiles are selected and iCUE is left running.

Thank you for the input.  No offense, but I'd rather not cloud my original question.  I was hoping to get a reply from Corsair.  Is this not the proper forum?

Yours,
L

If you wish an official response from Corsair, you'll need to submit a support ticket. This is primarily a user-to-user forum. Corsair folks may respond to questions but it's not guaranteed.

I'm not sure I understand.  This forum is called "TECHNICAL SUPPORT & CUSTOMER SERVICE".  "CUSTOMER SERVICE" is not provided by any community or other end-user, as I am not a "customer" of any/either.  RE: thermistor connection on the Commander Core- I forgot that was there- will consider using it.  It doesn't help that the manual included with the H150i doesn't seem to mention it.

Would someone from Corsair customer support please reply to the questions in my original post?  Thanks again!

Yours,
L

25 minutes ago, lerroot said:

Thank you for the input.  No offense, but I'd rather not cloud my original question.  I was hoping to get a reply from Corsair.  Is this not the proper forum?

As already stated, Corsair Support is the link at the top of the page labeled “support”. It is a 1 to 1 private correspondence with Corsair Support. This is a community forum. You’ve been given a technical answer. If you don’t understand it, we can try to explain it in a different way, but otherwise you will need to create a support ticket. 

1 hour ago, c-attack said:

You’ve been given a technical answer

Are you a Corsair rep?  A forum moderator?  It doesn't appear so.  My original post contains several questions which have not been answered.  And again- despite your characterizations, this forum is called "TECHNICAL SUPPORT & CUSTOMER SERVICE".  I am not your customer- as such, no community or non-Corsair rep. would be supplying me with customer service.  If this is not supposed to be a customer support forum, then it should be renamed. 

Yours,
L