Corsair Community

RGB wiring questions

mongoose221

Hey guys

Looking for some input here.

I have a bunch of parts I'm not sure how to wire correctly.

Parts list:

-Lianli o11 Razer (RGB)

-corsair h150i elite capellix (with 3x ML fans)

-6x corsair LL120 (with 2x lighting nodes that come with them)

-commander core that came with the elite capellix

-corsair RGB hub

-v1tech ARGB GPU backplate (though I think I can mess with this later myself)

I also have corsair vengeance pro RGB 3200 DDR4

I had spoken with a cust service rep in a live chat the other day and I was informed I should get the corsair RGB hub

I was told the capellix AIO needs to plug into the commander core

I will have a total of 9 fans (6x LL and 3x ML from the AIO)

What should my wiring diagram look like??

I'm not sure that you needed to get another Corsair RGB Hub - you should have them with the LL multipacks.

For the RGB:

- Put the MLs that come with the Capellix cooler on the Commander Core.

- Yes, you need to use the Commander Core with the Capellix cooler. That's how the cooler gets power.

- For the LL's, you have a LIghting Node Pro and RGB Fan LED Hub. That's all you need for the LL RGB right there. One channel, all six fans on the hub.

- For PWM (Fan Speed) control, you can use the Commander Core. You can get some 2x PWM splitters and put two fans on a couple of headers to control all 9.

- If you want to control the case and the backplate, you'll need third party adapters to make that happen.

• Like 1

hmm...

so for the PWM fan speed control how would that work?

i'd need to use 2x PWM splitters and put them on a couple of headers to the commander core?

Yeah i wasn't sure about the extra hub either (i mean it was $10 so whatever)

but they said i can't plug the LN's into the CCore

I was very confused by that *shrug*

3rd party adapter for the case/backplate if I want to control with icue you mean I need the adapter right?

do you have any suggestions for such an adapter?

as well as any suggestions for what PWM splitters to get?

18 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

I'm not sure that you needed to get another Corsair RGB Hub - you should have them with the LL multipacks.

For the RGB:

- Put the MLs that come with the Capellix cooler on the Commander Core.

- Yes, you need to use the Commander Core with the Capellix cooler. That's how the cooler gets power.

- For the LL's, you have a LIghting Node Pro and RGB Fan LED Hub. That's all you need for the LL RGB right there. One channel, all six fans on the hub.

- For PWM (Fan Speed) control, you can use the Commander Core. You can get some 2x PWM splitters and put two fans on a couple of headers to control all 9.

- If you want to control the case and the backplate, you'll need third party adapters to make that happen.

8 hours ago, mongoose221 said:

so for the PWM fan speed control how would that work?

i'd need to use 2x PWM splitters and put them on a couple of headers to the commander core?

Yes, exactly. Alternatively, you can use a powered PWM hub but you shouldn't need to go that route with 9 fans.

but they said i can't plug the LN's into the CCore

Who is "they"? You can put LL's on the Commander Core but you can't mix the fans (at least, not right now). But even with splitters, you have too many fans for the power delivery on the Commander Core to handle. So you'd need to put at least some of them on a fan hub, which the Commander Core won't control.

3rd party adapter for the case/backplate if I want to control with icue you mean I need the adapter right?

do you have any suggestions for such an adapter?

That's correct. You can make your own or get them from PirateDog Tech (https://piratedog.tech). 

as well as any suggestions for what PWM splitters to get?

These are pretty standard PWM splitters. Any PWM splitters will work.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 7:49 AM, DevBiker said:

Yes, exactly. Alternatively, you can use a powered PWM hub but you shouldn't need to go that route with 9 fans.

Who is "they"? You can put LL's on the Commander Core but you can't mix the fans (at least, not right now). But even with splitters, you have too many fans for the power delivery on the Commander Core to handle. So you'd need to put at least some of them on a fan hub, which the Commander Core won't control.

Thanks dude.

"they" was the corsair chat representative.
They said I can't plug the lightning node into the commander core.

I think that's probably b/c I can't mix the fans from the ML's on the AIO with the LL's I bought separately, if that's what you're saying.

I'm so confused as to how to hook all of this up.

So far I know the:

3x ML120's on the AIO plug into the commander core, and then the core plugs into the motherboard??

I'm pretty stuck after that 😞

I should have just got a freaking arctic aio without RGB and just used the 6 LL fans separately 😞

2 minutes ago, mongoose221 said:

"they" was the corsair chat representative.
They said I can't plug the lightning node into the commander core.

Ah ... that is correct. The Lighting Node Pro requires a USB port and the Commander Core doesn't have that. You also cannot connect an RGB Fan LED Hub to the CoCore either.

3 minutes ago, mongoose221 said:

3x ML120's on the AIO plug into the commander core, and then the core plugs into the motherboard??

Yes, it connects via USB.

5 minutes ago, mongoose221 said:

I'm pretty stuck after that

For the LL's, you have a LIghting Node Pro and RGB Fan LED Hub. That's all you need for the LL RGB right there. One channel, all six fans on the hub. The Lighting Node Pro also connects to the motherboard via USB. If you don't have enough USB headers, get a powered internal USB hub.

That's all of your RGB.

• Like 1

Just now, DevBiker said:

Ah ... that is correct. The Lighting Node Pro requires a USB port and the Commander Core doesn't have that. You also cannot connect an RGB Fan LED Hub to the CoCore either.

Yes, it connects via USB.

For the LL's, you have a LIghting Node Pro and RGB Fan LED Hub. That's all you need for the LL RGB right there. One channel, all six fans on the hub. The Lighting Node Pro also connects to the motherboard via USB. If you don't have enough USB headers, get a powered internal USB hub.

That's all of your RGB.

you are freaking awesome dude.

and that's for the RGB

for the PWM fan speed control, all 9 go into the ComCore, but I will need the PWM splitter as you suggested, correct?

So I'm basically looking at running 9 fans into 6 connections, so i'll need 2x 3way splitters which puts 6 fans into 2 ports?

<noctua splitter>

would this be acceptable?

then its 3x ML fans into ComCore and 6x LL's tapered down into 2x fan ports into the ComCore using the above noctua splitters?

And you said for the case RGB I would need to purchase pirate dog adapters

they have so many i'm not sure which to get

For the PWM, we don't recommend more than 2 way splitters on a single port. So you'll need 3 of them and have 3 headers with 2 fans.

The Noctua splitter would be fine ... you can probably find something a little less expensive too.

For PDT - I'd suggest contacting them directly.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DevBiker said:

For the PWM, we don't recommend more than 2 way splitters on a single port. So you'll need 3 of them and have 3 headers with 2 fans.

The Noctua splitter would be fine ... you can probably find something a little less expensive too.

For PDT - I'd suggest contacting them directly.

oh okay cool

sorry I noticed the noctua splits it 2 ways

the other one i saw split it 3 ways and i got confused

so yeah i'll just need 3x of the noctua ones 🙂

thanks so much Dev

Edited by mongoose221