Corsair Community

Problem with fans and AiO

PreMiT

Hello everybody,

I have just built my PC and I have a problem. I have H100i cappelix and 4x ml120 rgb fans plugged into the commander core. When I turn on my computer ( no windows installed ) it says  cpu fan error, my motherboard can’t detect any fans and all the fans starts to flash red and turn to 100%. I am using Asus rog strip b560-f gaming WiFi. 

I don’t know what to do, I would apriciate and help.

There is a CPU fan header on the mother, you can either turn the check off or put any PWM data into it to make it things there is a fan :) 

Does your pump return PWM data as how fast the pump is running?

Yes, in BIOS you can turn it on/off.

Does your pump spin up instantly when you turn on the PC?

But, what about the pump? it needs to return data pretty fast, so that the boot knows that there is a fan.

Anytime :)

The reason I'm asking is, that I've had pumps that was just a few milisec to slow to spin up and gave me that error :)

• Thanks 1

It’s possible the error is false or there is a nick in the tachometer wire that causes it to read as such. However, the cpu boot error is a MB safety feature while the red flashing on the pump and fans is an unrelated AIO safety warning. 

Look at the CPU temp in the BIOS. If the cpu temp is normal and sitting relatively still in the usual 30-45C range, the error is probably a technical error and you can disable it in the bios and boot up. However, if the cpu temp is skipping up the register at a rapid pace, then the pump is not moving and the cpu error is genuine — dead device on the pump end. 

• Like 1

I event to BIOS and changed CPU fan speed from monitoring to ignore. The pump showed up with its speed. The fans stopped running at 100% and stopped flashing red. The temperature of the CPU is staying around 30-31C in the BIOS. So I think I am good to go. And ready to install windows.

OK, that’s interesting. I don’t think we have seen that with other Elite units, but ultimately it doesn’t matter for most users. The Cpu boot safety feature lets you know it didn’t get a return signal on power on and there might be a problem. However, the AIO has its own features to do the same and if the pump doesn’t start, you’ll hear the fans come on like a freight train 2 seconds later and stay at maximum. I’m a bit surprised it went red, but maybe it was a one off incident. 

All of us with custom water cooling must disable this as well, so there isn’t really a negative aspect to turning it off. There are additional mechanisms to automatically shut everything down if something goes wrong. 

Many of the Strix motherboards use a different place to connect an AIO pump than a CPU fan. You might check which you plugged into.