Corsair Community

RMA dilemma (To corsair or not to Corsair)

Yanta0205

I've had a bad run with Corsairs 280mm coolers. I think I've had 14 of them die on me now. Pump rattles and just failing to cool at all seem to be most common, but the Y-Cable on the pump is also extremely sensitive on many of them making it near impossible to keep the fans working.

I've just had another exhibit issues; rattling again. Corsair's RMA initially agreed to replace it using the ARMA process, but it's been a while since I've heard from them as they are extremely busy, so I don't know what's going on.

The one that is dodgy appears to be a replacement for one that was dodgy. I don't have the model # but I think it's a H115i Pro RGB (The original one was CW-9060027-WW I believe). It might be a CW-9060032-WW, which is what I have in my PC? Not sure, I haven't been following all the part number changes.

This issue is the RMA people tell me the replacement will probably not work with Corsair Link. That's a problem because, with all due respect, iCue is an unmitigated disaster (I've already made a post about that). It seems pointless to install a product that makes my PC run hotter than it currently is. In summer here idle temps often sit at 45 Celsius with the hardware/software I use now. I am loathe to install software that might conceivably push that up to 50c + on idle. I also don't want a system to be so loud it's unusable, which any PC I test iCue on suffers from.

Does anyone know for sure if the current model 280mm coolers will work with CorsairLink?

I have a significant investment in Corsair Products. The system in question has a Corsair PSU and Commander Pro. Intel I9-10900X CPU. It has been suggested I write off the commander pro and go straight to the motherboard, but I loose the ability manage the curves from Windows. I took a quick look at Speedfan but it seems very complex.

If iCue is a no-go what are my options? Do I only have 1 - Go elsewhere for cooling products?

Yes - I know - the definition of insanity is buying the same product over and over again and expecting a different result.

Edited by Yanta0205

Link ended development in early 2018 when it was replaced by CUE 3, the merger of the internal device software (Link) and peripherals software (CUE 2). Any cooler released after that point in time is not likely to be recognized by Link. That includes the Platinum and XT lines that have subsequently been replaced by the current Elite model. To my knowledge, the Pro series is the last  AIO line to be Link compatible and it would not surprise me if there are very few left. Corsair doesn’t send refurbished AIO units out — only new sealed replacements. 

Have confirmed my faulty unit is the CW-9060032-WW model. I gather that is the "Last of the compatible units"?

iCue actually heats my systems compared to corsairlink, and fans are substantially louder/faster. I think the reason I cannot create custom curves is because it's not detecting the unit I have. So I can't run iCue on my current setup, and I can't run Corsair link on a new unit.

I watched devbikers youtube video, but I don't see what he sees. I see the CPro and PSU only.

Add to that the fact that iCue thrashes the CPU, which I gather would also correspond to why it's running so much hotter, then it seems to me connecting via motherboard and playing with Argus Monitor ($$$), or Speedfan might be two options. The other is of course change brands.

It's a double edged sword. Because iCue thrashes the CPU, the fan curves will need to use faster rpms to keep it as cool as link does on lower curves - something that might not even be possible. I'm going to be running idle temps in the 50's in summer and have loud fans trying to keep it there.

I did have some screen pics of the 22 processes and temp differences, but  can't seem to find them now.

Edited by Yanta0205

In theory, you could set up the new AIO on CUE 3/4, save the cooling profile to what you want, set a basic RGB color (or off), and then uninstall.  Reinstall Link and the AIO will continue to run from it's hardware profile.  The downside is you will not be able to adjust fan or pump speeds without reinstalling the newer software.  You likely do not need to change pump speeds and can part it on the medium forever.  The fans might be a different story as seasonal temps shift.  

I can barely remember CUE 3 anymore and Link is nothing but a faint image.  However, you may also be able to attack this from the other end.  I am running a 10900K at 5.2 and don't have to worry about the erratic baseline CPU use at idle.  The key appears to be getting off the per core clocking Intel and AMD use by default.  So within my Asus BIOS I set it to "All core" and 5.2 (x10).  The difference between this and setting Per Core and 5.2x10 is very clear and changes the baseline CPU watt usage from ~15-17W to 25-30W.  This also allows the clock speeds to drop as expected.  Load clocks and power levels are identical between settings and this seems to be related to how load is shifted around the cores at idle.  The underlying factors are beyond me, but using the all core setting works just as well for me anyway.  These conditions where 1 core is 5.3, 2 cores are 5.2 never really exist and it always ends up sitting at 4.9x10.  I prefer the all core clocking with or without CUE.  

Edited by c-attack

Might be a bit hard to set up a profile when iCue doesn't detect my cooler. Corsair are asking for a phone number for the ARMA process, and I don't have one as I lot my job once the scamdemic got under way. I haven't heard from them for a while so I don't know what's going on. But I guess I would take the new cooler and see if iCue detects that?

My CPUs are always set on all core. I've never gone above 4.6ghz as that pushes temps up too high. These are all HEDT CPUs, which have lower base frequencies than mainstream CPUs. I need HEDT because mainstream CPUs are hamstrung by having only 16 PCIe lanes, which is not enough for any of the 10 PCs I run here. So anything over 4.6ghz either crashes the PCs or runs extremely hot. Another reason why I use 280mm coolers instead of 240mm.

iCue warms the PCs, it doesn't cool. Ok, tbf; it runs the CPU 7c hotter and pump 4.9c hotter with the fans running twice as fast as the link curves. I don't know about you but I find that incredibly absurd for a cooling product. The fact that it constantly runs 22 process, at a minimum of 3% CPU and needs 1GB of disk space makes it even more absurd. That was iCue 3. I'm going to try iCue 4 later today (The download size is almost double iCue 3 - so that does not bode well).

Summers are savage here, and there is no cooling in the property I'm renting. So 48c (118f), ambient is not uncommon. As per previous discussions we've had, in summer CPUs run 15c-20c above ambient. So on link, worst case scenario is 68c on idle. Best case is 52c idle. With iCue running 7c hotter my best case is 59c (138f), on idle. I run fans in several rooms, but all they do is move hot air around.

I wish I could afford LN2. Or even a custom loop, but even that will set me back a minimum of A$2000 per PC.

Edited by Yanta0205

If you want to do custom loops just for the CPU, it should be relatively affordable. Pumps and waterblocks are the expensive bits, and you can find good ones for 150A$ a pop

No need to go fancy tube routing, just flexible tubing, straight fittings to the rads, as simple as possible.

I would just add one water temp sensor, and another sensor just for ambient air, with an Aquacomputer Quadro controller (the idea is to control fan speed from the difference between the two sensors. as water gets hotter than ambient, they spin up. no need to run them hard just because water and air are at 48°C, it won't cool anything. The Aquacomputer software allows you to create virtual sensors, like the one i mentionned, that would allows to adapt the fan curve automatically through the wide temperature swings you get there).

The only thing you would have to think of is to use D5 pumps and not DDC since the latter are air cooled and would run too hot.

Just for CPU, you could squeeze a custom loop for something like 550 - 600A$ per PC

@LeDoyen, thanks for the info.

The problem is that not all parts that I need are available locally. I spec'd this out about 6 months ago. I was up to just over A$1900 by the time I was finished with overseas shipping costs on top. Prices have skyrocketed since then, and the AUD has plummeted 8c in the last month or so.

Anyway, I don't have $1000 to spend let alone $2000.

Even a half decent pre-packaged custom loop kit is $650 - $1000. That's assuming I can even find a 280mm kit. I can't fit a 360 in the case for the PC with the faulty AIO.

Anyway, it was just wishful thinking. If I can ever work again it's something that will go on the to do list :)

I think given the environmental circumstances, the custom loop is wasted in terms of cooling.  You can't fight mother nature.  However, the number of failures on your unit is unusual to say the least.  The Pro series was one of the most reliable coolers they ever released.  Very few reported failures or technical issues.  It just worked.  So I don't know how to account for your experience with it.  

I do think we can figure out how to set you up with a Commander Pro + AIO and configure it to run without CUE/Link.  Given your conditions, you need a moderate amount of baseline cooling anyway.  The fans are going to need to run as much as you can stand.  Those can be programmed to both devices, then quit CUE.  This eliminates the extra CPU usage.  There are lower overhead monitoring solutions out there that will read Corsair devices.  If you need to make a change, launch CUE, modify value, quit CUE.  Not ideal, but you likely don't need to make continuous adjustments and RGB stuff is not in play.  

I would open Link probably 4 - 5 times a day to check on things, tweak, or monitor temps when I perform specific tasks, such as authoring media content.

As I said on my other post, I posted only some of the issues I came across as any more would just have been seen as kvetching (if it wasn't already). I've been testing Cue on and off for years, and many of the issues I experienced yesterday have been around for years.

Add to that the fact that Corsair appear to be heading in a "No phone - no service" direction, I will have to purchase a new product. I can't afford that but have no choice. It would obviously not be Corsair. I would have to write of the CPro too. What a waste 😞

At that point I'm looking at solutions like Argus Monitor or Speedfan for monitoring.

I do recall someone here telling me the H115's were not a good product. It would be on one of my older posts, assuming the old content was ported. But this is a new account, so I can't access that old content. When they ported to the new forums software it broke my old account, and despite creating a technical support web ticket I've had no response on that.

I don't do extreme overclocking. All PCs are in ventilated spaces and I have a ton of fans in every PC. I also drop my clock speeds in summer. I spent 100's of hours researching and tweaking curves and fans placements/orientations to get the best result I could. Of course, it's possible I made mistakes, but 14 coolers? And almost exclusively H115's?

Edited by Yanta0205

Just to remind you what Link looks like, since it's a distant memory. This is how my system looks. With these fans speeds it's tolerable.

In summer I have to listen to music to cover the fan noise.

Ambient is currently 21c

Note: CPU is actually 10940X not 7940X.

current_clink.png

Edited by Yanta0205

The “H115i” name denotes the 280mm radiator size and “i” software connectivity. The suffix on the end denotes the series (v2, Pro, Platinum, XT, Elite). Components and manufacturing partners may change from one to the next, so there are differences between them. The Pro had a very good reputation. It’s predecessor GTX/v2 did not. 

I don’t know, given your experience with this volume of AIO units maybe it is time to move to custom cooling with replaceable parts. Unfortunately the initial outlay for hardware is larger and they do require maintenance, but perhaps this better in the long term. You can still keep the Commander on Link and control fans based on a number of variables. My water cooling hardware changes frequently by choice, but my Commander is always there. 

I was reading a review on a website about the H115 capellix. They say it cools to 8c above ambient.

That would be awesome. I can't get it below 14c above ambient.

The custom loop I was looking at with EKWB parts claimed 6c above ambient.

Be careful with those types of claims. They are referring to liquid temp and the delta is dependent on radiator size, load wattage, and fan speed. It’s the last two that are often skewed to produce appealing numbers. For a standard 280x30mm radiator, I would expect a coolant delta of +11-12C at 300W and 1200-1300 rpm on the fans. Not sure if you quite get to 300W on the cpu, but for estimation purposes you can assume the coolant temp delta scales linearly with watts, +6C at 150W, etc. 

That's fine. I couldn't imagine a A$2000 custom loop being any less efficient than a 280mm AIO. One would be pretty angry if it was.

The TDP on the 10940X is 165W. We know that can be exceeded under load. But I don't know about 300W.

Also, 1200-1300 RPM is very loud.

Edited by Yanta0205

depends on your fans 🙂

some are whisper quiet at 1300 RPM, some start to squeal slower than that.

1300 rpm on 140mm fan can be loud. Depends on the environment. However, it was more of a middle reference point. That H115i Elite value was likely taken with the fans at maximum (2000 rpm). 

On 9/1/2021 at 1:41 PM, LeDoyen said:

depends on your fans 🙂

True that. I should have said "loud for my fans" which are NF-A14-IPPC-2000RPM-PWM. I found the stock fans to be quite useless, so I replaced with these.

SP140L

• Fan airflow: 113 CFM
  • Fan static pressure: 3.99mm-H2O
  • Noise level: 43dB(A)

NF-A14 fans

Acoustical noise 31,5 dB(A)
Static pressure 4,18 mm H₂O