Corsair Community

finally got a gpu that can take a waterblock and added a second radiator in my 280x

magarity

OK, many moons ago I had everything except a big GPU: 

Finally landed a Radeon 6800 XT from AMDDirect and got it all put together!! Runs quite well so far, CPU is about 30-35 C over fluid and GPU is about 35-40 C over fluid (which itself is usually around 30-35 C).

Top and front fans are on intake, bottom is on outtake.

IMG_8990.JPG

the GPU is 35° over water temp??

out of curiosity, what is your pump speed?

I like the drain port on the GPU manifold, looks neato 🙂

14 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

the GPU is 35° over water temp??

out of curiosity, what is your pump speed?

I like the drain port on the GPU manifold, looks neato 🙂

Well I meant those temps are after running a game for a while and getting up to speed. When its just sitting here on forum the GPU and fluid temps are within 1 C of each other.

The pump is on a mild curve but usually around 2800.

The drain was the hardest part to figure out. My friend and I stared at it on different angles for an hour before, oh, duh, it can go there!

Edited by magarity

Here's fluid temp (labeled REZ) versus the GPU temp while doing nothing but reading forums:

image.png.845f33d46eb06e89b1622dadb802082e.png

I was thinking under load you had the GPU 35° hotter than the water, it was surprising 😛

the 0 RPM fan is always pleasing to see, noisy beasts 🙂

Since the 6800XT typically caps around 320W, you should have enough rad to deal with it as is. At worst, you still have space for a 280 on the bottom.

Still, i always find pleasing to see tight builds where you get through the mandatory headache to figure out what will go where and get creative with fittings.

Almost looks SFX 🙂

Edited by LeDoyen

5 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

I was thinking under load you had the GPU 35° hotter than the water, it was surprising 😛

the 0 RPM fan is always pleasing to see, noisy beasts 🙂

Yes, so if the fluid is 35 or so then the GPU will get up to 65 to 70 while gaming. For the week before the waterblock arrived, the GPU would get up to 90C while gaming. Running the "stress test" in the Radeon software package, it got up to 98C. So, yeah, the liquid loop is vastly superior. 70 C under heavy load is fine as far as I mind, compared to the cheapass stock air cooler. Also, in the summer this room is hot to start with. When I took that screen shot, the therm on the wall says the room is 32C.

The 0 RPM fan on the GPU is because there's no fan on it anymore; just a waterblock.

that's a big difference.. but i'm not too familiar with Corsair blocks. I usually see +10 , +15°C depending on pump speed. Maybe someone will be able to tell if it's to be expected or if there may be some contact issue. Still, as you said it's a lot better than the aircooler so.. bonus

Ugh, I got that GPU delta completely confused. Yes, just played Doom Eternal for a bit with the overlay turned on and the GPU was 47-50 while the fluid is 35.

phew, that's a lot better lol

70 is what you should have on aircooling if AMD didnt mess up their reference cooler. Mid - High 40s is actually really good in that case