Corsair Community

Is it possible to switch a HX750i on and off with the USB port?

I just bought a HX750i, because I like to have a USB port in the PSU.

Now I am wondering, if it is possible to use USB port to switch the PSU on and off?

I would like to connect a small Raspi to the USB port to have a simple Sparc-like ILOM.

hey bud... cant see that being an option. its pretty much a data output for temps and power usage..

the PSU, like all PSUS is switched on and off through the motherboard 24 pin.

if you want to switch on and off the computer through your RPi, you can still work out something plugging one of the GPIO to the motherboard front panel IO pins in parallel with the case power button.

a momentary close and open will power on, as if you pushed the button in person.

a long close and open will do a hard shutdown too.

You could connect the reset switch the same way.. tap into the power led to have a hardware power status..

9 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

if you want to switch on and off the computer through your RPi, you can still work out something plugging one of the GPIO to the motherboard front panel IO pins in parallel with the case power button.

I found already something similar using the purple and green cables of the ATX motherboard connector:

https://projects-raspberry.com/using-the-raspberry-pi-to-control-an-atx-power-supply/

But I thought the USB port of the PSU might be easier to use.

the problem controlling the PSU directly is that you can switch off the PSU in an unsafe state, while the computer is still actively running, and the motherboard loses the ability to switch off the power if something goes wrong (cooler failure, etc).

Their example is good to control a standalone PSU that's not used for a computer, for another project though.

And yea, the USB connector is only connected to an MCU that monitors a bunch of sensors. it's only one way status communication

Edited by LeDoyen