Corsair Community

iCUE Configuration

Just built my first gaming PC. Got the Corsair Crystal Series 680x with the H115i Elite Capellix cooler, want to install 2 more fans to the bottom and replace the pre-installed 120 non RGB fan with an iQue 140. How would I best connect all 8 iQue fans to my Rog Strix X570-F mobo with iQue controllers? The controller provided with H115i only has 6 ports! Thanks!

16293249676582715864516103692776.jpg

You are going to need 2 RGB controllers for 8 fans.  There is no way around that and the limit per channel/controller is 6 fans.  It looks like you are running SP-Elite or Pro in the front and the ML-Elite on top from the AIO kit.  Those are all 8 LED fans and match up well.  What kind of fans are you looking at for the bottom?  

Any of the dual pack 140mm RGB fans will come with another lighting controller and I believe you also have one that came with the case.  That part is easy, but then you will need to decide how to break the 8 up into two groups (5+3, 4+4, 6+2).  If you are going to use a different LED geometry for the bottom and back, then that pretty much sets the groups as 5 front+top and 3 bottom+ rear.  Aside from that, the fans will act like a separate lighting series for each group.  You can't go 1-8 with presets or custom effects without very complex user programming.  

Yes H115i came with a commander core, I removed the preinstalled rgb hub and led controller (see image). Just using the commander core for the cpu cooler and 2 fans (ML as you said), plus the 3 preinstalled LL120 rgb fans, the non rgb is connected directly to the mobo, leaving all 6 commander core ports utilised.. Any way I could utilise these to link all 8? Just confused as to where the unused mobo connectors come into play, and how the 680x supplied rgb/fan hubs would be linked. Just want to add any 3 corsair 140 rgb fans, 2 at bottom and 1 to replace the non rgb 120, ideally all linked with ique software.

16293347010414770097202641593636.jpg

Also id quite like to add the lightning strips... lol

Well, that's easy. Put the Lighting Node Pro and Fan Hub back in. Put the LL's on that - you'll have RGB for up to 6 fans. And then you'd have a spare channel on the LNP for your strips.

Thanks yeah just not sure at all how all this connects and integrates with the mobo. Spent so much want to keep costs to a minimum to get the 3 extra fans and lightning strips in, so if it can be done without getting a controller that'd be perfect. So to sum up I have:

1x Lightning Node Core

1x Lightning Node Pro 

1x Commander Core

1x h115i Elite Capellix CPU Cooler with fans

3x LL120 fans

Ive then got 1x 120mm non rgb fan that I want to replace with a 140mm iQUE on the back of the case, and space on the bottom below the gpu for 2x 140mm fans, which I also want to be iQUE. 

This means Ill need 8 4 pin ports and 8 3 pin ports for the fans, with the cpu cooler sata power going directly to the commander core, and its rgb 3 pin currently being connected to an available mobo port.

Could someone please look at the asus strix x570f schematics and advise how to correctly connect all of this provided what I currently have? Preferably with space to add lightning strips? Sorry im such a noob lol 🙂

Just want to ensure my system is extremely well cooled while all the parts are new to maximise longevity.

:)))))

The usb 2.0 connections are the path between device and software. Each device needs its own usb 2 line in order to be controllable. At most you have 2 usb 2 ports on your board. If you use any more than 2 devices, you’ll need a powered usb hub to take on the connections. However as mentioned above, you can do this with Commander Core + 1 Lighting Node Pro (and 1 RGB lighting hub for the fans). 

I am still not sure what you’re adding to the case. Are you getting more LL fans?  Or QL?  Currently you appear to have 3 LL120 and the 2 ML-Elite up top.

Edited by c-attack

Yes and I have no more available usb mobo headers after connecting the case and commander. Want to connect any 3x corsair rgb 140mm fans. SP, QL or LL im easy!

🙂

Would the only solution perhaps be to add a second commander?? Using a usb mobo header splitter? Would that provide sufficient power and synchronise both commanders?

Edited by jobrien94

A powered usb hub is generally about $20. A Commander Pro about three times that price. The only reason to get the Commander is if you need both additional fan control and additional RGB channels. I’m ok with 8 fans using 2 PWM splitters on the Commander Core. You don’t need independent control for the radiator or bottom fans. This also could be done with a powered PWM hub controlled with 1 header on the Commander Core. 

Mixing different fan types works fine for static colors and patterns. However, you may have noticed your ML-E radiator fans cannot do the same patterns as the LL on the front. If you add QL fans, you will have yet a third fan difference and you’ll want them on their own lighting channel. They also look quite a bit different than the fans you have with the exposed side rings. I would be looking at more LL fans, but if you only use basic colors and patterns it may not matter. 

Okay I bought 3 ql120 and 5 ql140's all hooked up, my config has the h115i elite capellix connected to commander core, using its 6 rgb and pwm headers for fans with its usb running to a commander pro, with 2 fans connected to the commander pro and the 2nd commander pro usb port running an rgb hub for those 2 fans rgbs.... and commander pro connected to the mobo usb header, all working beautifully. Just feel like this is so escessive and I could cut down on some hardware. Couldn't I use 2 usb splitters and 2 rgb splitters in the commander core to connect all 8? The capellix has 2 fans and bottom of case has 2 fans, happy for these to appear as one fan dont need individual speed or rgb control...

16296658433945560020577557179862.jpg

OK, going all QL is one way to solve that.  The fan LED differences no longer matter.  You can group them as you prefer visually.

So it would be nice if you could pair the top x2 and bottom x2 fans with RGB splitters so the pair acts like one fan, all on one controller.  However, my understanding is 8 QL on one controller is really pushing your luck with the 5v current levels.  

That's an AMD motherboard, so you don't want to be using USB splitters.  It won't work out well.  Your lucky the passthrough on the Commander Pro is working.  If the Com Core starts dropping out, you'll know what the issue is.  Each device must have a USB connection.  That is the only way it can talk to the software and you get control.  

Damn yeah I was worried about the power limitations. Especially for the cpu cooler! This is driving me insane! Why cant they just release a commander core style unit with support for 10+ fans lol, so many people running at least 8 like me. 

Just want to get this madness organised before I start my masters next month, was so happy getting my 1st gaming pc but this fan setup is way too chaotic for comfort 🤣 

The major problem is there's only 1 available usb mobo header, the 680x case takes the rest smh

5 hours ago, jobrien94 said:

Damn yeah I was worried about the power limitations. Especially for the cpu cooler! This is driving me insane! Why cant they just release a commander core style unit with support for 10+ fans lol, so many people running at least 8 like me. 

Because doing so could have the SATA connectors melt. The SATA power connection support 4.5A on the 5V rail, per spec. That's your limitation. 8 QL fans could easily go over that, especially with static white.