Corsair Community

Corsair 5000D Airflow PWM Hub not working

dubkilla

Hi,

I have the 5000D and using a Gigabyte Aorus x570s motherboard.

I've connected the PWM cable from the 5000D PWM hub to a 4-pin System Fan input on the motherboard.

Then I have 3 fans connected to the PWM Hub.

They are not running. I've switched the motherboard fan control to PWM, still doesn't work.

Any idea?

did you connect a fan to the PWM hub on port 1 ?

There's only one that has PWM feedback to the motherboard. if there's no fan connected to that one port, your motherboard will not see any speed.

Also, the hub needs a SATA connexion too, to power the fans, make sure it's connected

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

There's only one that has PWM feedback to the motherboard. if there's no fan connected to that one port, your motherboard will not see any speed.

Also, the hub needs a SATA connexion too, to power the fans, make sure it's connected

Thank you, I didn't know it needed power as well, I thought the motherboard would supply the power through the PWM cable.

Why is there no mention of how to use the PWM hub in the 5000D's manual?!

Well, i looked at the manual before answering you since i don't own the case and that's surprising there's absolutely no mention of the hub. It only appears in some 3D views, and that's it..

But the purpose of the hubs is precisely to supply power independently, so you don't overload the motherboard headers. It's easy to figure out.. when you already know it..

That's one of my pet peeves with Corsair. their documentation is extremely ligh at best, or nonexistent.

A PWM hub is effectively a 6 way powered splitter. All fans on the little board will run the same speed assigned to fan on port 1. That speed information is provided on the PWM connection back to the MB (or elsewhere), but 6 fans is twice what an MB header can power so it’s only the PWM signal. The power comes from the SATA connection. 

Others have also noted there is not a clear explanation of the PWM hub in the manual. 

• 10 months later...
On 8/18/2021 at 6:45 PM, LeDoyen said:

Hey hello. I just bought a 5000D and I was searching for this SATA connector on my motherboard but i dont see it.. i have a asus prime x570-P.

How you think I could resolve it?

the sata connector is sata power, from the power supply, not the motherboard 🙂

2 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

the sata connector is sata power, from the power supply, not the motherboard 🙂

Thank you. Now it works, just that now my motherboard does not give me image..