Corsair Community

H115i only 1 of 2 Fan control

TimFTW

Hi,

Having some problems with fan control, i bought a new motherboard because something went wrong with BIOS update on last one unfortunately.

Now i can't control 1 of my 2 fans , 1 fan is always 100% speed and it's not the problem of the fan but the connection where you attach the fan on. 

I have updated the software so that's not it.

I remember i wanted to put the whole thing back in the case but one of the wires got stuck behing a table, could it be there is a problem with a connector/wire ? 

In the iCue software i can't control the fan that is spinning 100% , please help me out guys.

Which "H115i" do you have?  Pro, XT, Elite, v2?  Some of them only have 1 fan channel and it's a single reading for both fans.  If you have dual 4 pin splitters off the pump, then there are two fan channels.  The most basic step is to disconnect the stuck fan and reconnect.  If it is still stuck, swap the two fans on their connectors (1<->2).  If the stuck fan is now on the other channel, there is a problem with that fan or its wiring.  If the same fan # is still stuck with the new fan, it could be software or the controller and you should contact Corsair Support.  

On 8/18/2021 at 1:45 AM, c-attack said:

Which "H115i" do you have?  Pro, XT, Elite, v2?  Some of them only have 1 fan channel and it's a single reading for both fans.  If you have dual 4 pin splitters off the pump, then there are two fan channels.  The most basic step is to disconnect the stuck fan and reconnect.  If it is still stuck, swap the two fans on their connectors (1<->2).  If the stuck fan is now on the other channel, there is a problem with that fan or its wiring.  If the same fan # is still stuck with the new fan, it could be software or the controller and you should contact Corsair Support.  

Hi thanks for your reply,

I have the Platinum with 2 separate fan controls and connectors also shows in the iCue software, i switched to another motherboard and then this problem came up.

I have disconnected and switched the connections from each fan, if i connect the other fan to the controller that fan will spin at 100% so it should be something in the wiring i  guess.

3 minutes ago, TimFTW said:

I have disconnected and switched the connections from each fan, if i connect the other fan to the controller that fan will spin at 100% so it should be something in the wiring i  guess.

The Platinum is 2 independent PWM connections and 2 fan channels, so it should definitely be 2 separate readings.  So if I understand correctly, fan #2 (or whichever) stays stuck at 100% no matter which fan you connect to it?  If so, that is hardware problem on Corsair's end.  

Test #2 - Quit CUE from the task bar or task manager.  All your lights should drop into Hardware Mode as CUE exits.  Does that stuck fan settle down?  If not, then it is a hardware problem.  This has been an issue for some Platinum/XT owners where one or both fans get stuck.  The fan controller locks up.  The solution for them is to force update the firmware on the cooler.  This resets the fan controller.  However, you have a pre-built system from Corsair and both your warranty and service is different from the average person who buys parts.  You may wish to contact Corsair Support through the link at the top right corner of this page.  

If you need immediate relief from this, take the two PWM connectors from the pump and connect them to the MB fan headers.  That will bring them back to a more stable speed, but you may need to adjust the settings in the BIOS.  Even better is if you have a 2 way PWM splitter lying around.  Connect this to the one working fan header on the pump.  You don't need to have independent control over each fan and this works just fine in the short term.  

On 8/21/2021 at 2:33 AM, c-attack said:

The Platinum is 2 independent PWM connections and 2 fan channels, so it should definitely be 2 separate readings.  So if I understand correctly, fan #2 (or whichever) stays stuck at 100% no matter which fan you connect to it?  If so, that is hardware problem on Corsair's end.  

Test #2 - Quit CUE from the task bar or task manager.  All your lights should drop into Hardware Mode as CUE exits.  Does that stuck fan settle down?  If not, then it is a hardware problem.  This has been an issue for some Platinum/XT owners where one or both fans get stuck.  The fan controller locks up.  The solution for them is to force update the firmware on the cooler.  This resets the fan controller.  However, you have a pre-built system from Corsair and both your warranty and service is different from the average person who buys parts.  You may wish to contact Corsair Support through the link at the top right corner of this page.  

If you need immediate relief from this, take the two PWM connectors from the pump and connect them to the MB fan headers.  That will bring them back to a more stable speed, but you may need to adjust the settings in the BIOS.  Even better is if you have a 2 way PWM splitter lying around.  Connect this to the one working fan header on the pump.  You don't need to have independent control over each fan and this works just fine in the short term.  

I think it's the fan itself now, i tested the other fan thoroughly on both controllers and that one worked fine and is adjustable.

The other fan i can't control with iCue but i can if i connect it to the motherboard, strange things going on here...

I have tried all your things above and none worked, also the fan is going 100% when i turn on the cpu but that's because i control it with openhardwaremonitor i guess.

Thanks i might try the PWM splitter but i don't think it will work because it gets the same signal from the iCue controller right ?

A PWM splitter is 4 + 3 pins.  You put the "good fan" on the 4 pin and the misbehaving one on the 3 pin.  Usually this will work because only the good fan communicates with the controller.