Corsair Community

k55 GRUB compatibility

Hi,

just purchased a k55 keyboard but when I start my computer (dual boot) it is not starting until I unplug the keyboard.

I tried to disable USB legacy support in my UEFI but it does not solve the issue.

Why is a keyboard preventing GRUB to boot ?

• Corsair Employees

Hi Orso,

You should try booting the keyboard in BIOS mode and see if that resolves things. Which K55 do you have?

For the older K55, Hold Winlock + F1 for 5 secs to toggle BIOS modes.

For the K55 Pro and Pro XT, unplug the keyboard, hold down S + B, then Plug back in and then release the keys.

This should allow functionality in a non-OS environment.

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2021 at 12:42 PM, Corsair Blade said:

Hi Orso,

You should try booting the keyboard in BIOS mode and see if that resolves things. Which K55 do you have?

For the older K55, Hold Winlock + F1 for 5 secs to toggle BIOS modes.

For the K55 Pro and Pro XT, unplug the keyboard, hold down S + B, then Plug back in and then release the keys.

This should allow functionality in a non-OS environment.

Hi, please find the sticker on the keyboard, can you be more specific on how to change the BIOS mode ?

When I press f1 + winlock for 5 sec the winlock light begin to flash, should i press another key to validate ?

Even when I reboot the winlock flashes, but if i shutdown the computer it still doesn't boot.

Thanks in advance for any help.

photo_2021-08-19_22-03-33.jpg

Ok I finally found that the BIOS mode is blinking the winlock led all the time and must be activated for having GRUB2 boot.

This is a bit annoying to have a keyboard that I need to "enable" if I want to use any of the advanced function.

Anyway thanks for your help !

• 4 months later...

6 months later this keyboard still refuse to work with my motherboard MSI X99 RAIDER.

WTF a keyboard that makes a computer impossible to boot :

Enabling the BIOS mode on the keyboard, enabling disabling USB legacy mode : NOTHING works !

At boot the computer is frozen, only reset button makes it finally boot.

This happens even if only Windows 10 is installed.

Now please provide me a way to make this piece of crap working on my rig.

Edited by orso

Finally found that I had to change settings (usb legacy, disable boot from usb devices) in UEFI, moving the keyboard to a usb3 connector (!) and it finally worked on a cold boot.