Corsair Community

Moving to a new motherboard - Can H100 stick around for the ride?

Hi all, 

I wonder if John still works here?  Great guy.

At any rate, I'm moving from my 25000K @ 4.7Ghz and am wondering if there's a chance I can transition a new Intel motherboard and buy fittings for my H100 so as to transition it to the new board?  It's such a great cooler.  Seven years running solidly and many more to go if I can do this.

Any ideas? Other than for me to stop being a cheapie and buy a new one, that is. . . :P

Thanks for your time.

You can - it sounds like it'll even use the same bracket.

However - that cooler is 7 years old - 2 years outside the warranty period. They do lose some performance over time but if it's working for you, there's no critical need to get a new one. But ... be prepared. Moving them around sometimes jostles things and/or loosens gunk that's built up over the years.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

You can - it sounds like it'll even use the same bracket.

However - that cooler is 7 years old - 2 years outside the warranty period. They do lose some performance over time but if it's working for you, there's no critical need to get a new one. But ... be prepared. Moving them around sometimes jostles things and/or loosens gunk that's built up over the years.

I am pretty anal about taking care of my systems and with your help, it's going to stay nicely in place.  I'll put in the new board from the back end.  Thanks for the info. 

1 hour ago, Detad said:

I am pretty anal about taking care of my systems and with your help, it's going to stay nicely in place.  I'll put in the new board from the back end.  Thanks for the info. 

It doesn't matter how anal you are about taking care of your systems. The gunk would be inside and can build up, regardless of what you do and no amount of taking care of your systems can change that - you cannot flush or refill the radiator. So just be prepared ... we've seen this happen time and time and time again.

• Haha 1

Make sure you have some stock intel cooler at hand when you'll do the move 🙂

It's often when moving the AIO from one system to the other that gunk dislodges and completely blocks the flow.

Big air bubbles may also have formed as water permeates with time out of the AIO, and sometimes, it's big enough that the pump can' be primed.

So yea, be ready to bite the bullet and buy one shortly after the build ^^'

• Haha 1

"May" - May not.

"Can" - Could not.

Still running this 2500K after 7 years of 4.5Ghz (new paste applied yearly).  I'll take the chance. I can always buy a new one and replace the old one and I don't forsee any damage from this closed loop and a cpu that will shut down at a predetermined limit.  

Thanks for your time guys, I'll let you know how it goes... with pics.  

😄

yep you may be lucky ^^ just know the stats are against you on this one ^^' fingers crossed 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, not a problem.  I'm getting ~40/42C on idle and 95/100C with all cores set to 47 boost and 38 base. No need to raise the core voltage, just the boost voltage and a bit of a raise of boost length. No need to clock it up more than that. She's a fine bit of beastie. this1.thumb.jpg.da28c5070fbbe0b44d9fae788828d4ea.jpg