Corsair Community

RGB Setup

NukeCorrell

Hi guys,

So I'm new here, as well as new to PC building in general. I bought most of my components from Corsair, those being: RAM, CPU liquid cooler, case, and extra case fans. I am happy with my purchases, but I am confused/concerned about how the RGB lighting will work (keep in mind I have not built my PC yet, a few parts are still coming in the mail).

So the CPU I purchased was the H100i Elite Capellix CPU liquid cooler that comes with two ML120 RGB fans and a Commander Core. The extra case fans I purchased was the LL120 Case Fans with the lighting node pro. The case (4000D Airflow) comes with two black non-RGB fans. I have been trying to do some digging to figure out how I will plug all my fans in and I am starting to get confused.

Can I plug all my fans into the Commander Core and not use the Lighting Node Pro meaning I can return the ones I bought and buy single fans? Do I have to have the fans with the CPU cooler in the Commander Core and the LL120 fans I bought have to be separate in the Lighting Node Pro? Where do I plug the non-RGB fans and should I just buy two single replacement RGB fans that can go into one of the hubs?

I'm just lost with he connection aspect of the RGB fans.

Thank you

The challenge is that, at this time, iCUE only supports one type of fan on the Commander Core. You can put both the LL fans and the ML fans on the CoCo but it'll configure them as LL fans. The ML fans will work ... but some effects may be wonky. By putting the LL fans on the Lighting Node Pro/RGB Fan LED Hub combo, you'll have no issues with configuring them.

The PWM connectors can go on the Commander Core. If you need splitters (and it sounds like you do), 2-way PWM splitters will be fine on the CoCo.

6 hours ago, DevBiker said:

The challenge is that, at this time, iCUE only supports one type of fan on the Commander Core. You can put both the LL fans and the ML fans on the CoCo but it'll configure them as LL fans. The ML fans will work ... but some effects may be wonky. By putting the LL fans on the Lighting Node Pro/RGB Fan LED Hub combo, you'll have no issues with configuring them.

The PWM connectors can go on the Commander Core. If you need splitters (and it sounds like you do), 2-way PWM splitters will be fine on the CoCo.

So what you're saying is to have all my fans function correctly, I should use the ML fans with the CoCo and my LL fans with the Lighting Node Pro? And what are PWM connectors?

1 hour ago, NukeCorrell said:

So what you're saying is to have all my fans function correctly, I should use the ML fans with the CoCo and my LL fans with the Lighting Node Pro? And what are PWM connectors?

Not exactly. To control your fans effectively, you should do that. They'll function either way.

PWM connectors are the 4-pin connectors used to control the fan speed.

41 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

Not exactly. To control your fans effectively, you should do that. They'll function either way.

PWM connectors are the 4-pin connectors used to control the fan speed.

Oh I understand. The connectors don't come with the fans I bought or the CPU cooler?

8 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

They come with the fans. The fans have two connectors - one for RGB, one for PWM (to spin the blades).

Check out the RGB FAQ linked in my signature. There's a lot there that'll help explain things.

Awesome, thank you so much for your help. If I have any more questions I'll post them here after I look through what you got 🙂

9 hours ago, DevBiker said:

My only question is why will I need splitters? I can plug all the LL120 fans into the NoPro and the LED Hub connected to it (3 of the 6) and then I will only have two fans connected to the CoCo. Then do I not connect the NoPro to the CoCo?

Edited by NukeCorrell

There are two cables on each fan. One is for RGB - that's what you are talking about here. The other is for the fan blades to spin. If you don't connect those, they fans won't spin. Those will go on the Commander Core. If you have more than six, you'll need a PWM splitter so that you can spin all of the fans ... unless you connect them to the motherboard (and lose control of them from iCUE).

3 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

There are two cables on each fan. One is for RGB - that's what you are talking about here. The other is for the fan blades to spin. If you don't connect those, they fans won't spin. Those will go on the Commander Core. If you have more than six, you'll need a PWM splitter so that you can spin all of the fans ... unless you connect them to the motherboard (and lose control of them from iCUE).

Alright that makes sense, sorry for my confusion it was just confusing. So if I understand you correctly, this is how I would connect them:
1) Plug the LL120 RGB connection cables into the included RGB fan hub and connect the fans into the CoCo for power.
2) Connect the RGB fan hub to the NoPro.
3) Connect the ML120 fans to the CoCo (both power and RGB on either side).
4) Connect all the SATA cables to the MOBO.

I watched a video on YouTube and the guy connected the LL120 fans directly to the MOBO for power. I think with what you said earlier, if I plug the LL fans into the CoCo and plug the ML fans in as well, it will make them all run as LL fans in the iCUE software correct? Is the only way around this is to either buy 3 more LL120 fans so I can ditch the NoPro altogether connecting all 6 LL fans to the CoCo and replace the 2 ML fans on the CPU cooler?

HI, maybe someone can answer my queistion,

i want to buy a H100i Elite Capellix and a Fractal Meshify 2 Case.

now my plan was to exchange the fans from the case with LL 120 fans (4 of them, 3 Front and 1 Back)

Can i now connect the LL120 to the included ComanderCore from the H100i? since it has 6 connection ports, ut would perfeclty fit.

thanks and regards

3 minutes ago, smuu said:

HI, maybe someone can answer my queistion,

i want to buy a H100i Elite Capellix and a Fractal Meshify 2 Case.

now my plan was to exchange the fans from the case with LL 120 fans (4 of them, 3 Front and 1 Back)

Can i now connect the LL120 to the included ComanderCore from the H100i? since it has 6 connection ports, ut would perfeclty fit.

thanks and regards

Yes.

One challenge will be that the Commander Core does not, at this time, support different fan types per port. So it'll configure ALL of the fans as LL fans, even the 8 LED MLs that come with the cooler. They'll work fine though.

3 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

Yes.

One challenge will be that the Commander Core does not, at this time, support different fan types per port. So it'll configure ALL of the fans as LL fans, even the 8 LED MLs that come with the cooler. They'll work fine though.

Okay thanks for answer. So if i want it perfect, i exchange the AIO's Fan with two more LL Fans right?

1 minute ago, smuu said:

Okay thanks for answer. So if i want it perfect, i exchange the AIO's Fan with two more LL Fans right?

You can. Or you can wait for the often rumored update to the Commander Core to allow for different fans on the RGB. I don't know a timeline on that but it's been discussed on here before.