Jump to content
Corsair Community

Did my psu killed my entire pc?


Recommended Posts

Dear corsair I build a budget pc 6 months ago everything was fine until recently my psu (Corsair 550w bronze) made some huge spark and a loud pop noice. My pc automatically shut down i pulled the cable out from the wall there was smoke and burning smell coming out of the psu it was under warranty so i send it back but now i am really frustrated thinking that what if the psu killed my other component, gpus are skyrocketing already. I dont see anything burned but i smelled my gpu it gave me a little tiny smell of burning i guess maybe its the smell of the heatsink i dont know. I have heard that gpu comes with voltage protection and other things can it be possible that the faulty psu kill my pc components?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You need to contact Corsair Support through your original PSU replacement ticket to get help working on this.  There are specific steps they ask you to do in order to assess which components are damaged (if any) and how to share that with them.  Anything we talk about here won't help with that and we would be guessing about what happened. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, c-attack said:

You need to contact Corsair Support through your original PSU replacement ticket to get help working on this.  There are specific steps they ask you to do in order to assess which components are damaged (if any) and how to share that with them.  Anything we talk about here won't help with that and we would be guessing about what happened. 

Okay but i dont know what could be damaged i have send the psu back for replacement/repair. Should i wait until it comes back and check everything and then contact corsair support or should i do it right now?

And 1 last question whats a psu replacement ticked? Is it the rma number?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did you send the PSU to Corsair?  Or to a local shop/vendor where you bought it?  In some countries/locations, the vendor is the proper exchange point and other places you need to go through Corsair to file a claim on the warranty.

 

If you did not start a Support Ticket with Corsair when the PSU stopped working, you should start one now.  The link is in the top right corner of the page.  That is not part of the User Forums.  If something else was damaged electrically, it likely would be dead on the spot.  So if you've hooked up another PSU and the PC runs, the MB, GPU, CPU, etc. are probably not damaged.  However, what you need to do as far as evidence to present to Corsair is handled with Customer Support and the warranty conditions vary from country to country.  You need to go though them for this kind of thing.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, c-attack said:

Did you send the PSU to Corsair?  Or to a local shop/vendor where you bought it?  In some countries/locations, the vendor is the proper exchange point and other places you need to go through Corsair to file a claim on the warranty.

 

If you did not start a Support Ticket with Corsair when the PSU stopped working, you should start one now.  The link is in the top right corner of the page.  That is not part of the User Forums.  If something else was damaged electrically, it likely would be dead on the spot.  So if you've hooked up another PSU and the PC runs, the MB, GPU, CPU, etc. are probably not damaged.  However, what you need to do as far as evidence to present to Corsair is handled with Customer Support and the warranty conditions vary from country to country.  You need to go though them for this kind of thing.  

Im from india, i took the psu back to the vendor he told me to take the psu to some infoserve pvt ltd. They said that the psu will go back to the company and i will get a replacement or it will be repaired in 15 to 30 days. I cant check if the other parts are running i dont have any extra psu or any friend who can help, so i guess i will have to wait untill the psu returns to know if the other component are damaged or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok. I believe that is the proper procedure for India. If you don’t have any way to power on now, then you might as well wait to file the claim until you know there is damage. I also don’t think there is a lot of reason to be fearful. The PSU is designed to take the hit on a power surge. While not impossible, damage to other components is not the most likely outcome. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, c-attack said:

Ok. I believe that is the proper procedure for India. If you don’t have any way to power on now, then you might as well wait to file the claim until you know there is damage. I also don’t think there is a lot of reason to be fearful. The PSU is designed to take the hit on a power surge. While not impossible, damage to other components is not the most likely outcome. 

Okay, thanks for you time you really helped a lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...