Corsair Community

No BIOS output to monitor until Windows boots after installing 5800x without updating BIOS. - Vengeance 6182

The title explains it fairly well. I attempted to install a 5800x, system wouldn't boot. I go to google and find that I need to update my bios. I put my old cpu in (3700x) with new thermal paste. System boots up but my monitor has no signal until my system boots into windows.

I cleared the CMOS by removing the battery and managed to get into my BIOS once to see what version I'm running. I thought my troubles were solved. After booting back into windows (I made sure to change nothing in the BIOS) to download the latest BIOS for my motherboard, the problem resurfaced. Every time I reboot, there is no output to the monitor from the BIOS until I get to windows. I unplugged the power from the wall, unplugged all peripherals (from the I/O on the motherboard), and removed the CMOS battery and left it overnight to be sure, and the problem still persists.

I'm fairly confident that I'm still in the bios when there is no signal; if I hold left shift and reboot into UEFI, the screen will stay black, but if I reboot normally and touch nothing, the screen will boot into windows.

I've also attempted to plug my monitor into both display ports, HDMI and the USB-C out on my gpu. I've plugged a small portable monitor into my the USB-C and my TV into the HDMI as well.

Note: since purchasing this computer I've upgraded my gpu to an RX 6800, and I've upgraded my PSU to an RM850x.

• Corsair Employees

Have you tried changing the GPU back to what came with the system? Seems more likely to be the cause than the CPU swap.

1 hour ago, Corsair Kelsi said:

Have you tried changing the GPU back to what came with the system? Seems more likely to be the cause than the CPU swap.

Unfortunately I have already sold that GPU. I'm going to attempt to access the bios with a friend's gtx 970 in a few days.