Corsair Community

What is the absolute best kind of RAM for a Core i9-10900k with an unlimited budget?

Hamzee110

Hi there, I'm a computer student and now planning to a build my dream gaming PC for handling demanding tasks such as photo & video editing and hardcore gaming. I pick the Intel Core i9 10900k CPU and now looking for the decent RAM. 

Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4 3600 MHz c16 or Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 4000 MHz c18?

These are the best 2 types of ram I can find locally apart for DDR4 3200 MHz c16. So, if anyone has a suggestion, then please tell me.

they are both almost identical performance wise, so if the 4000mhz is a lot more expensive, i wouldn't burn the extra money to gain a fraction of a 3Dmark point.

I am not sure you'd gain a lot by going beyond 3600 CL16 for what you intend to do. Most of the performance gains will come from the CPU overclocking, but since those two memory kits are so close latency-wise, you'll still have headroom to tweak.

Personally, for performance-unrelated reasons i'd still try to get the Vengeance kit 🙂 just because of the RGB plague that hits the dominator kits.

I recommend you take a look at this video from Buildzoid, it's very informative when you are looking for good DDR4 memory :

Presumably total memory capacity is going to be more important for your work than outright maximum bandwidth, but it is also likely the Dominator 3600C16 kits will be able to clock up to 4000 MHz. I would not expect the other kit to have much headroom. 

The other notable point is Dominator modules run noticeably cooler than the Vengeance Pro due to heat sink/design differences. That may some bearing if you are going to overclock and push them hard. I have a Dominator 4x8GB 3600C16 kit. On a bad day the middle sticks hit 42C while running 1.45v at 4000 16-17-36. 

Edited by c-attack

Will be tough fitting a 10900k on an LGA1700 though 🙂

• 2 weeks later...