Corsair Community

i160 stopped controlling fan speed

Dear friends!

My i160 suddenly stopped controlling the fan speed automatically. The fan speed has been always set to "default" in iCUE and now the fan is off at any time even when overheating. If I set the fan mode to "Extreme" - it spins at 100% RPM constantly. It tried uninstalling iCUE and setting BIOS to defaults (F6) - the fan is still at zero RPM all the time.

Please help!

Windows 10 Home
Version    21H1
Installed on    ‎02.‎08.‎2020
OS build    19043.1151
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

2021-08-04 01-37-39.JPG

2021-08-04 01-39-53.JPG

Solved by performing a clean windows reinstallation. It seems like the fan controller algorithm was somehow changed by software, and the new windows installation cleared that out to its defaults. I returned to my windows by restoring it from an image after that, all works good.

• Corsair Employees

Hey Kookla2,

You can perform a Windows reset/install by doing the following.  For a clean install choose to Remove Files.

1. During Boot, press F8. This will take you to the Recovery menu.
2. Choose "Troubleshoot" as the option.
3. Then, Choose "Reset this PC"
4. You'll then have two options, one to reset while "Keeping your files" and one to "Remove files". You can choose the one you'd prefer.

Alternatively you can try installing Windows from a separate thumb drive and choosing to format and clear out the main drive on the system.  Don't worry about the key as that's loaded directly onto your motherboard.  Windows will pick it up once your system starts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees

Hey Kookla2,

You can create a Windows Install USB and install Windows from that USB.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10#d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec

From the link you can download the Windows 10 Installation Media Tool.  There are instructions on that page as well.  See "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC (click to show more or less information)."