Corsair Community

Fan #1 randomly fails to update

This is to get some comments by community members for their opinion. I have been in contact with support since May on this issue but have not come up with any fix.

I installed a new computer with a fresh copy of Windows 10 and a Commander Pro. The issue I am having is that Fan #1 will randomly refuse to update its speed when I change presets. Sometimes it will work when I begin my day, but then just decide not to change when I click to change the preset in the iCUE software, or use my stream deck. This only happens to Fan header #1, the other 5 are fine and have no issues.

What fixes the issue straight away, is if I go into iCUE settings and click on "Restart iCUE Service", or go into Windows services.msc and restart the iCUE Service in there. Why does this fix it?

I have tried every attempt at fixing the issue. I will try to list as many as I can remember now, and will modify the list if I forget to list one:

1. Reinstall the software / Repair the software / Delete registry keys / Delete device in device manager ...as directed by corsair.com help page
  2. Force update the Commander Pro firmware
  3. Set the pin settings for each Fan in iCUE
  4. Set the USB device in device manager to not turn off to save power
  5. Remove / disable any conflicting applications such as MSI AfterBurner, HWiNFO, etc, and then Reinstall and Repair iCUE software
  6. Swap different fans into the Fan #1 header to see if it is a bad fan
  7. Unplugged the extra 2x USB extension on the Commander Pro to eliminate extra power draw
  8. Obtained a new Commander Pro

I have a 850W PSU and my fans are as follows:

3x front (FAN headers #1, #2, #3 - ARCTIC P14 PWM PST (5 Pack) - 140 mm Case Fan with PWM Sharing Technology (PST), Value Pack, Pressure-optimized, Computer, Fan Speed: 200-1700 RPM - Black - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HCKWF2X

2x top (FAN headers #4, #5) - Included 1200 rpm , 140 mm 3-pin case fan that came with my P600S case

1x back (FAN headers #6), - Included 1200 rpm , 140 mm 3-pin case fan that came with my P600S case

The voltage levels in iCUE report as [11.97V of 12V] / [4.99V of 5V] / [3.37V of 3.3V]

I also want to add that when iCUE starts with windows, I hear a window audio noise as if I unplugged a USB device. If I set iCUE to NOT start up with my computer, I do not hear this noise. If I then open iCUE manually, I hear the disconnect noise again.

Is this just crappy software? Crappy hardware? Why is this not working well? I don't get it..

**Picture attached to this post

**Video of issue here: 

unnamed.png

Edited by talormanda
added numbered list

Try a force update on the firmware. This is an old issue that appears native to the Commander Pro. It’s always fan header #1, but for most people it is a one off event. I have multiple Commanders and have only experienced it once or twice over the years. If this is happening repeatedly, they probably should be sending you a new unit. Obviously a two way PWM splitter on another header to empty #1 will circumvent the issue in the meantime. 

Be aware that if you are using RGB fans with the device, you’ll want to export all your profiles before swapping in a new Commander. The current profile settings treat each Commander like a unique device (so you can run more than one). However that means your lighting doesn’t automatically transfer over. You need to delete the profiles and then re-import them to bring those lighting effects into the new device. That does not appear to be in play for you, but generally people should be aware this is what happens. 

Edited by c-attack

19 hours ago, c-attack said:

Try a force update on the firmware. This is an old issue that appears native to the Commander Pro. It’s always fan header #1, but for most people it is a one off event. I have multiple Commanders and have only experienced it once or twice over the years. If this is happening repeatedly, they probably should be sending you a new unit. Obviously a two way PWM splitter on another header to empty #1 will circumvent the issue in the meantime. 

Be aware that if you are using RGB fans with the device, you’ll want to export all your profiles before swapping in a new Commander. The current profile settings treat each Commander like a unique device (so you can run more than one). However that means your lighting doesn’t automatically transfer over. You need to delete the profiles and then re-import them to bring those lighting effects into the new device. That does not appear to be in play for you, but generally people should be aware this is what happens. 

Hello! I did force an update on the firmware. That was one of the many things I did. They did send me another CP and it has the same issues. Maybe once a day it will happen if I am changing around the speeds. I also do not have any RGB lighting hooked up, only fans. Any idea why this happens and only with header #1? Does #1 get more load or something and decide to tank out? It does not make sense. What kind of PWM splitter would you recommend and would this be OK to do power wise? Currently I have a script that will change the speed and restart services at the same time to get around the issue. A tad bit annoying.

Edited by talormanda

Ok, missed the last detail point you are already onto the second unit. For the quick fix, any PWM fan splitter should work and it should be inexpensive. No brand name required. The Arctic P14 are a low current draw fan (~0.12A) so there is no issue pairing 2 and staying well under the 1.0A per header limit. However, stick to two way splitters regardless of current draw. 3 and 4 way versions are often erratic on the Commander. 

As to the root of the problem, most often the trigger I see with other people is some type of power event prior to #1 locking up (unexpected hard shutdown, power fluctuation, etc). However, it seems ridiculous to believe that is happening repeatedly so are you using any kind of unusual power switching devices to protect the PC, flipping off the PSU or surge protector nightly, or any along those lines?  

The other possible area of interest is the usb connection from Commander to MB. A lot of users get the disconnect/connect Windows chime as devices initialize on CUE load. However, if the disconnect is unexpected and occurs during the hardware to software hand-off, it might  cause a lockup. I would expect the whole device to be affected and not just #1, but these are the only two things I can see. What motherboard series (chipset) are you using?  Recent AMD boards have power delivery issues on the usb 2 line. This usually results in non-detection or frequent drops in connectivity and not the #1 header thing, but it is an issue especially if you are using the the Commander’s pass through ports. 

Edited by c-attack

Sorry I can't help but I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue and fan port 1. I have pretty much the same issue as you except I'm using corsair fans and I can't gain control by restarting the service. If I put all fans on max RPM (1,600) port 1 will only run at 1,100. If I set RPM at zero port 1 runs at 500. If I set all fans to the 'quiet' profile and watch the RPM graph, port 1 seems to do the opposite of the other ports. I've reset the CoPro, wiped Icue completely and swapped fans about. Nothing works.

You might have a slightly different issue.  The "classic" port #1 problem is locked at maximum and nothing you do can alter that.  If it is below maximum and you are able to change the speed (even unconventionally), then it may not be this lock out problem.  Obviously still an issue, but it looks to me like it is the control circuitry wearing out.  There are a couple of Euro-spec PWM fans that will do this too, but it should not happen on Corsair PWM fans or most others.  Try changing port 1 from "Auto" to PWM in the Commander's device settings.  If that is already in place or has no effect, I think the #1 port is failing.  If still in the warranty period, contact Corsair.  Otherwise, a PWM splitter and abandoning the #1 port is the easiest, cheapest, least intrusive resolution.

I have also experienced this lately where some fans refuse to respond to changes in my presets i.e. changing from custom curve to fixed RPM. This actually happened to me tonight and rebooting the machine corrected it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2021 at 8:00 AM, c-attack said:

Ok, missed the last detail point you are already onto the second unit. For the quick fix, any PWM fan splitter should work and it should be inexpensive. No brand name required. The Arctic P14 are a low current draw fan (~0.12A) so there is no issue pairing 2 and staying well under the 1.0A per header limit. However, stick to two way splitters regardless of current draw. 3 and 4 way versions are often erratic on the Commander. 

As to the root of the problem, most often the trigger I see with other people is some type of power event prior to #1 locking up (unexpected hard shutdown, power fluctuation, etc). However, it seems ridiculous to believe that is happening repeatedly so are you using any kind of unusual power switching devices to protect the PC, flipping off the PSU or surge protector nightly, or any along those lines?  

The other possible area of interest is the usb connection from Commander to MB. A lot of users get the disconnect/connect Windows chime as devices initialize on CUE load. However, if the disconnect is unexpected and occurs during the hardware to software hand-off, it might  cause a lockup. I would expect the whole device to be affected and not just #1, but these are the only two things I can see. What motherboard series (chipset) are you using?  Recent AMD boards have power delivery issues on the usb 2 line. This usually results in non-detection or frequent drops in connectivity and not the #1 header thing, but it is an issue especially if you are using the the Commander’s pass through ports. 

Is this correct? Device manager says: 

Intel(R) SMBus - A323

Intel(R) 300 Series Chipset Family LPC Controller (Q370) - A306

I unplugged the CP pass through USB ports just to eliminate those as a possible issue and I see no change with it getting better. I have the PC connected to a UPS that is always on. I never turn it off. There are no crashes or hard shutdowns between this issue happening. About 1 hour ago, I ran into the issue quite heavily where I would set the fan #1 header to 1700 RPM and it would fail to update, then I restarted services and it fixed. Then 5 seconds later changed it to 900 RPM and it wouldn't update so I had to restart services again. This issue boggles my mind. It is upsetting. At least I have my script to mend the issue, but still.

This is not related to USB connectivity.  That is basic communication between device and software, so if there is an issue you will see the device drop in and out CUE all the time.  When it drops out, you go into Hardware Mode or the fan profiles saved to the controller.  This would not cause 1 specific fan header to lock up.  It would follow it's hardware profile and you would not see the Commander Pro at all in CUE.  

It possible there is an issue with the service, but this is a long standing problem and I suspect hardware related.  As mentioned, it's always Fan #1 for everyone.  When its not #1, the problem ends up being something else.  I would contact Corsair Support to see what they say, but realistically the easiest move here is to pair the current #1 fan with another using a PWM splitter and leave #1 vacant.  Most people don't see this reoccur on a regular basis.  

Edited by c-attack