Corsair Community

Corsair SP120 + Elite Cappelix + iCue 5000x Fan help

Hello All!

I just recently built a new pc to replace a 12 year old system. I “technically” think I have three different types of fans.

3 x 120mm front fans included with my iCue 5000x

3x 120mm Elite Cappelix fans included with my Corsair H150i 360mm Elite Cappelix AIO (side install - too thick for top install my mobo 8+4 pin in the way)

3 x SP120 RGB Elite Performance 120mm (used for the 3 slots top of case)

When I first put it together and did my first boot, having 9 fans (trying to get a 10th) it sounded like an airplane was going off. Once I had windows installed Armoury Crate installed itself. This allowed me to change the fan speeds, and I was giddy with how loud this new system was moving so much air.

I wound up sort of “re-doing” my wiring to make everything super cable managed, and to accommodate my new 3080 Ti that showed up a week later.

After putting it all back together, I was expecting that airplane when I pressed the power button but it was so silent. I went in to look at armoury crate to change the speeds and “nothing was happening” no matter what speed I changed it to. I figured “I must’ve put this back together wrong” and re-did all the wiring AGAIN , even splitting my fans across 2x 8pin PCIE for SATA power - no change.

I realized after it was back together that when I actually monitored the fan speed upon changing profiles the RPM WAS changing, and would max out at 1,400rpm. Upon googling I realized that’s the fans rated speed was indeed ~1400rpm so I’m like “wait what? how were they going so much faster before?” I didn’t change anything in my BIOS AT ALL upon redoing the wiring. I even fiddled with fan settings in the bios trying DC mode (which keeps the fans at their 1400rpm all the time) and back to PWM mode. Even reset the bios. Nothing changed.

I’ve attached a photo so anyone can see my wiring situation. The top 2 boxes (one is fan power (with the pwm cable plugged into the “high amp” fan pin on my mobo the other for RGB) I am using for the front 3 fans , and top 3 fans in these (I made sure each fans connectors numbers matched).

the bottom one is what came with my elite Cappelix AIO and the fans on those are running off that.

im just so confused. HOW were my fans able to run so much faster (sounding like 2000+/- rpm) and now they’re not? 

There was just a DRASTIC difference between silent fan profile , and going to standard, then full speed was like VROOOOOM! now the noise level doesn’t change at all.

I want the speed back however it happened, I just feel like I must’ve messed up the wiring. Has anybody else dealt with this?

specs:

5800x

Corsair rm1000x

32gb Corsair vengeance RGB pro cl18

1tb wd black sn850 Gen 4 NVME

Asus rog crosshair viii hero x570

evga rtx 3080 Ti 

lianli strimer plus ATX + 3x 8pin for Gpu

D64698A7-5F0D-41D3-983D-92178A62B92E.jpeg

Presumably you are using the Commander Core PWM headers and the small PWM repeater hub.  That makes all fan control through CUE and not the BIOS or other Asus programs  

The very first power on when fans are connected to a Corsair controller they will max out for a brief period for the 12v fan test. The Commander Core may do that on each boot since it uses an individual port detection for power, but that should only last 2 seconds or so. 

if you are stuck at 1400 rpm, my guess is you are running a fan curve based on coolant temp but using cpu temperature as the control variable. There is no reason to do that in this system and none of your case fans need to respond the cpu temp. The radiator fans should follow a curve based on coolant temp. It appears you have a H150i Elite and the three ML120 Elite on that are capable of 2400 rpm. That would be plenty noticeable. The SP-Elite do not run that fast.

9 hours ago, c-attack said:

Presumably you are using the Commander Core PWM headers and the small PWM repeater hub.  That makes all fan control through CUE and not the BIOS or other Asus programs  

The very first power on when fans are connected to a Corsair controller they will max out for a brief period for the 12v fan test. The Commander Core may do that on each boot since it uses an individual port detection for power, but that should only last 2 seconds or so. 

if you are stuck at 1400 rpm, my guess is you are running a fan curve based on coolant temp but using cpu temperature as the control variable. There is no reason to do that in this system and none of your case fans need to respond the cpu temp. The radiator fans should follow a curve based on coolant temp. It appears you have a H150i Elite and the three ML120 Elite on that are capable of 2400 rpm. That would be plenty noticeable. The SP-Elite do not run that fast.

Could you advise on how I would investigate or fix this? When I first put it together it stayed high speed + loud all the time until I took everything apart for cable management , still happens even though I re-did everything again.

maybe I have it hooked up wrong? Because:

in Corsair iCue 

it detects my cappelix with the cpu pump logo  (which only has three fans connected to it) and allows me to change the pump speed + 3 fans attached to Aio. I can also control the RGB for the three attached fans

theres an icon of the commander core

from here I can only change lighting 

I have to use Armoury Crate in order to change fan speeds of every fan EXCEPT the ones on my h150i elite aio

40 minutes ago, thebluecoat said:

Could you advise on how I would investigate or fix this? When I first put it together it stayed high speed + loud all the time until I took everything apart for cable management , still happens even though I re-did everything again.

maybe I have it hooked up wrong? Because:

in Corsair iCue 

it detects my cappelix with the cpu pump logo  (which only has three fans connected to it) and allows me to change the pump speed + 3 fans attached to Aio. I can also control the RGB for the three attached fans

theres an icon of the commander core

from here I can only change lighting 

I have to use Armoury Crate in order to change fan speeds of every fan EXCEPT the ones on my h150i elite aio

I GOT IT!

I don’t know what happened to my profiles I swear I didn’t touch anything! BUT! The “extreme” preset only went up to 1700rpm. I had to create a custom profile , and select “fixed %” and typed in 100% and VROOOM! My AIO fans are crankin @ 2500rpm!

I really don’t think the other fans in my case (3 included with Corsair 5000x case) and (3 SP120 RGB Elites) won’t go beyond 

If you only have the 3 radiators fans connected to the Commander Core, then only those are controlled through CUE.  All your remaining fans will be BIOS controlled.  You will need to go into the BIOS, choose a control method (Asus defaults to CPU temp), definitely set some kind of spin/up down delay (12 seconds), and then pick the speeds you want.  Most of that can be done in the "EZ BIOS" QFan page with the graphs.  Delays need to be applied in the Advanced BIOS -> Monitoring Column -> QFan sub menu.  AI Suite or however they have incorporated the software into Armory Crate may provide some override of those BIOS settings when in Windows.

However, you have 9 more fan headers just sitting there doing nothing.  I certainly would prefer to be able to adjust my fans from the desktop without going into the BIOS and you need to run CUE anyway for the lighting and AIO.  Move the fan PWM connectors off the motherboard and to either the Commander Core or the PWM hub in the top left of your picture.  The PWM hub needs 1 header from the Com Core to give it directions and whatever fans you put on the Repeater will all run the same speed.  That makes it the logical choice for the three radiator fans, three front intake fans, nor any other group where you don't need or care if they all run the same speed.  You could certainly run all 6 front intake and side panel radiator fans from the PWM hub and all at the same speed, following the coolant curve.  That then leaves the 5 headers on the Com Core for the remaining top and rear fans.  

Only the three radiator fans (ML Elite) will run at 2000+ RPM, but you likely don't need them too.  Past 1500 rpm you are scrapping for fractions of a degree, but this is user choice.