Corsair Community

How do I fit a rear exhaust fan to the iCUE 465X RGB Mid-Tower ATX Smart Case ?

How do I install a rear exhaust fan to the iCUE 465X RGB Mid-Tower ATX Smart Case ?

It does not show this in the quick start guide / manual.

How do I mount it and where should it connect to?

I have some long screws but they are too thin and there are no nuts.

Should the short fan screws be used?

Do I need washers?

Where do the screws go through on the rear of the case?

The long screws are likely 6-32 machine screws used for mounting fans to the radiator.  Case fans use short, thicker #8 screws.  There were probably some in the fan box and also likely some that came with the case.  These are pretty much all the same across brands, so no need to be picky.

If you use rubber washers they will go between the screw head and the metal frame of the case.  For rear exhaust, this likely means screwing the fan in from the back exterior....  screw -> washer -> case -> fan on inside.  The washers are not required, but might help with vibration dampening in some installations.  I typically suggest people use them for a different reason, as follows.  Putting a number 8 screw into a fan can be a chore.  Some I needs to secure the fan by anchoring tightly to that hole.  It can take some muscle to get it going.  Depends on the fan model.  The washer will slightly reduce the number of turns it takes to get the screw in and against the case wall.  That is often worth something.  

There are a couple of fans out there that use a different mounting system (Noiseblocker, BeQuiet among others).  They sometimes have plastic pegs or thin screws with a nut that fasten to the other end.  For this specific fans types, you probably don't use a #8 screw, but it still can work.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, c-attack said:

The long screws are likely 6-32 machine screws used for mounting fans to the radiator.  Case fans use short, thicker #8 screws.  There were probably some in the fan box and also likely some that came with the case.  These are pretty much all the same across brands, so no need to be picky.

If you use rubber washers they will go between the screw head and the metal frame of the case.  For rear exhaust, this likely means screwing the fan in from the back exterior....  screw -> washer -> case -> fan on inside.  The washers are not required, but might help with vibration dampening in some installations.  I typically suggest people use them for a different reason, as follows.  Putting a number 8 screw into a fan can be a chore.  Some I needs to secure the fan by anchoring tightly to that hole.  It can take some muscle to get it going.  Depends on the fan model.  The washer will slightly reduce the number of turns it takes to get the screw in and against the case wall.  That is often worth something.  

There are a couple of fans out there that use a different mounting system (Noiseblocker, BeQuiet among others).  They sometimes have plastic pegs or thin screws with a nut that fasten to the other end.  For this specific fans types, you probably don't use a #8 screw, but it still can work.  

Thanks. Do the rubber washers come with the case / fan ?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  However, there is nothing special about any of it.  You can get rubber washers from any hardware store for minimal cost.  #8 screws too, but they tend to be shiny vs the matte black that come with the fans.  

The screw on the outside will hold the washer in place.  Rubber or silicon works best for dampening and it will conform to the slot.  Washers slightly larger than the screw head can help with some cases where the slots are huge and the screw heads small.  

If you are afraid to screw in too tight, you can use the slits at your advantage. screw in, and try to slide the fan up and down. you will feel the rubber pads of the fan starting to grip as you tighten the screw. when it grups enough to stop moving, you're good.

those self taping screws are an abomination but they have one good thing : they never come lose 🙂