Corsair Community

First build--9 fans, 1 commander pro, 2 lighting node cores...recommendation for pwm?

britking

Been trying to look around and I think I have a solution, but wondering if there's a better way of doing this. 9 fans in total in a 5000D case (my AIO is 240mm). I know I can plug 6 into one lighting node core and 3 into the other for RGB, then I think I can plug the USBs into the commander pro. I'd plug 6 fans on the front and side as intake (may not be ideal but I don't want to confuse myself as not exactly a tech genius). Should be able to control all those through the commander pro and also plug in some light strips into LED 1. That leaves 3 fans to extract--2 AIO (top) and 1 rear. I know I could use the AIO fan header for 2 and plug the 3rd into a fan header on the MOBO, but should I be thinking about a lighting node pro or is there a better option to easily control fan speed? Also not sure if using the cpu fan header is a great idea. Would really appreciate any advice--I know there's a lot on this, but still struggling a little.

May be a little confused here... not sure the lighting node pro helps at all--if I don't want to control fan through my AIO, I'd need to add a 2nd commander pro? Especially for the stray 3rd fan that has no home but the MOBO right now? 

Edited by britking

The AIO fans should be connected to the AIO's fan controller. So that leaves you with 7 fans to account for. With the Commander Pro, you'll be OK to put two of those on a single PWM splitter and run both from the CoPro.

The Lighting Node Pro is an older version of the RGB controller.  It has no PWM fan control capabilities - RGB only.  The "Pro" devices work on a RGB channel system.  Both have 2 ports to connect 1-2 RGB Lighting Hubs or devices that use direct RGB channel connections, like Hydro X, strips, etc.  The "Pro" is the RGB controller and the RGB Lighting Hub is the lighting power.  With "Core" devices, the lighting hub and the controller are fused into one box, but with resulting limitations.  Core devices are for fans only and it can only do 1 channel (6 fans).  Pro devices can do 2x6 per controller.  

I don't see any advantage to switching out the Lighting Node Core (LNC) for a Lighting Node Pro (LNP).  It would be inadvisable for LL or QL fans where its better to have separate power delivery for each channel.  This is forced by the software on QL fans.  If you have a pair of RGB Lighting Hubs from some old Corsair LL or ML fans, that can connect to the Commander Pro RGB ports and you can skip the LNCs entirely.  That would be a good space saving measure as the RGB Hub is smaller than the LNC and saves 2 USB ports.  

Which AIO?  Is it Corsair or something else?  Without that, your best option is to use a PWM repeater hub.  This is effectively a powered splitter.  It takes 1 PWM header on the Commander and then provides it to all the other fans on the little circuit board.  These are inexpensive and usually come in sizes from 4-10 fans max.  You may have one in your 5000D already.  Some of the versions comes with one.  It is a small circuit board with 6 fan headers.  At 9 fans, you could probably get away with using 2 way PWM splitters as well.  Officially 6 is the maximum supported, but I don't see too much risk in 9 as long as they are not industrial fans.  

Edited by c-attack

Thanks--the AIO is an H100i Pro XT and all 9 fans are SP Elites. I think I like the idea of using a single PWM splitter for 2 of the fans and using the AIO for those 2 as it's easier. Having never used the commander pro before, I'm assuming I can control each fan's speed individually just like you can control RGB at the fan level? I'm assuming any 4 pin fan splitter will work.

Yes, if it's a Corsair AIO (XT), then you will have software control for the AIO fans when connected to the pump splitter.  No reason to make it more complicated.  

The Commander Pro has individual fan control for each of the 6 headers and you can run 6 separate fan profiles for each fan or freely shuffle between them.  You might want individual control over the rear exhaust, but two fans on the front intake won't need it.  Any PWM splitter should work, but as usual you are more likely to have trouble with really cheap knock off versions that stop working the first time you bend the cable.  Don't use 3 or 4 way fan splitters.  Besides amperage limitations on the header, they tend to behave erratically on the Commander.  I don't think you need one, but people are often tempted to get a 3 way for the front 3 fans.  Use 2 + 1 instead.  

Edited by c-attack