Corsair Community

Control pump RPM H150i Capellix?

Hi,

I just bought a H150i Capellix and installed it. It cools fine, but there is an annoying sound from the pump even on quiet in iCUE. It spins in 2300 RPM, is there a way to lower the RPM a bit? My old AIO H100i cooler was able to go to 1900 RPM at quiet.

You are limited to the three preset pump speeds (quiet, balanced, extreme) and ~2300 is the lowest. 

Somewhere around here is fairly lengthy thread of people who share your assessment. However, the minimum pump speed on a unit is not an arbitrary value. There is a flow rate point below which the performance drops off heavily and water lingers in the block for too long. The Elite series apparently has a slightly denser cooling fin array on the cpu block than it’s predecessor Platinum/XT. This improves cpu cooling, but requires a higher minimum speed. 

Unfortunately pump noise can be a bit irritating. With direct mounts on the cpu, it often will cause the MB to resonate, amplifying the issue. That then brings the case chassis into play too. Make sure the motherboard case mounting screws are tight. Don’t over-tighten the pump/block mount screws. 

36 minutes ago, c-attack said:

You are limited to the three preset pump speeds (quiet, balanced, extreme) and ~2300 is the lowest. 

Somewhere around here is fairly lengthy thread of people who share your assessment. However, the minimum pump speed on a unit is not an arbitrary value. There is a flow rate point below which the performance drops off heavily and water lingers in the block for too long. The Elite series apparently has a slightly denser cooling fin array on the cpu block than it’s predecessor Platinum/XT. This improves cpu cooling, but requires a higher minimum speed. 

Unfortunately pump noise can be a bit irritating. With direct mounts on the cpu, it often will cause the MB to resonate, amplifying the issue. That then brings the case chassis into play too. Make sure the motherboard case mounting screws are tight. Don’t over-tighten the pump/block mount screws. 

I used the pump in AIO_Header on the motherboard even though the manual said CPU_FAN header. Is there a big difference?

29 minutes ago, SantaC said:

I used the pump in AIO_Header on the motherboard even though the manual said CPU_FAN header. Is there a big difference?

For the functionality of the cooler ... no. The connection to the CPU_FAN header is there to prevent a CPU Fan warning on boot. It's based on the pump speed so it also functions as a nice fail-safe in the event of pump failure.

None at all... as far as the pump operation goes.  The power is delivered through the SATA cable -> Commander Core controller -> pump.  That MB connector only reports a tachometer speed to MB and has no effect on the units operation.  It can be disconnected and the AIO continues on.  CPU Fan has a safety feature on most motherboards that will prevent you from booting up if you don't have a cooling solution in place ("CPU FAN ERROR").  For AIOs, it will throw up that warning if the pump failed to start on power on one day and doesn't send a signal back to the MB.  This only happens when connected to CPU_FAN, but on AIO or "W_PUMP" headers you will find out about 20 seconds later as the fans go crazy and the system shuts down.  So it's really just a 20 second heads up if the pump fails.  If you are really inattentive and never pay much attention to that PC stuffed under a desk/cabinet, whatever... then the CPU boot error warning may have more importance.  For most people, they are going to know something is wrong pretty quickly.  

Thanks guys,

I am seeing now that more people think that the pump noise is too loud at 2300RPM. People have requested a firmware update. I hope corsair will listen.

because quiet mode right now isnt quiet. As I said, my H100i platinum goes down to 1900RPM.

I know... but as I tried to explain to that thread long ago, not all units are the same and the minimum speed is specifically chosen to make sure it performs as expected in all settings.  The Platinum and the Elite series do not have the same CPU block.  The Platinum series originally had a higher minimum speed.  Corsair lowered it via firmware update.  The result was a bunch of people complaining that the pump gurgled on the Quiet setting and made more noise than the higher RPM 'balanced' speed as a result.  The fluid was not being pushed through the block with adequate pressure.  This is precisely what we are talking about here as well.  

Edited by c-attack