Corsair Community

How to adjust H100i Elite Capellix fan speed via hardware?

The two fans on my H100i Elite Capellix are working quiet and fine while iCUE is running. But as soon as I lock windows or close iCUE, the fans start running at an unnecessarily high speed, which translates in unwanted noise. I understand that this happens because software can't control fans when the OS is locked, but I don't know how I can adjust the hardware speeds. My MSI bios doesn't show the fans from the H100i. I'd like to adjust the H100i fan speed via hardware, so I don't need to rely on iCUE software which doesn't work while the OS is locked. Is that possible? Does anybody know any other solution? Thank you

Can you share your fan curve settings, in the "Cooling" section of iCUE?

For example, at coolant temp. 31 ºC the fans run at around 725 RPM. When I lock windows I can hear the fans start spinning faster. When I log in again, I can see in iCUE that the fans where running at above 1200 RPM, then they start to gradually slow down again to 725 RPM.

1200 RPM is still quite silent, however the problems come when gaming. With iCUE the fans will sit at around 1100 RPM, without iCUE they go up to 1600 or more, which is really audible. I'm guessing that this is because the hardware curve is harsher than the software curve. It's true that without iCUE my CPU temps are lower, but the curve from iCUE seems fine enough since my CPU temps won't go above 45 ºC while gaming with iCUE. I'd like to change the hardware curve to mimic iCUE curve, but I don't know how

Edited by Flechi

Sorry for the triple post... I just found out that this problem doesn't happen if I set up my own curves on iCUE. For some reason, the default "Balanced" setting goes off or changes its behavior when the iCUE is closed or I lock Windows, but if I set up my own cooling profile the fans will stay at the same speed. However, this way the changes on temp won't update the fan speeds until I reopen iCUE or log in Windows again. Weird behaviour, but I guess I can live with it.

What happens if you change it back to one of the default settings now? Will it "remember"?

39 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

What happens if you change it back to one of the default settings now? Will it "remember"?

No, any of the default settings will go off as soon as I lock windows or I close iCUE.

Another interesing thing is that if I set a custom curve like 20% at 30º and 80% at 40º, when the temp gets to 40º or above fans will go at 80% of max rpm, then if I shut down the computer like that, when it boots again fans will stay at 80% speed until I log in Windows and iCUE updates the fan speeds.

To be honest I'm a bit dissapointed with iCUE, its install size is larger than 2GB and it uses above 300MB of RAM. I would like to find a hardware-only solution, but seems unlikely.

Edited by Flechi

Look in the Commander Core "Alerts" section for the device.  I believe the Elite AIOs will have a 40C alarm built in, as most of the previous coolers did as well.  However, once you trigger it, it must be dismissed to cancel the alarm state.  You can turn off the alert in this panel or set it to a higher threshold.  Hitting 40C isn't too difficult for anyone in a warm Summer climate.

Not entirely sure what it is reverting to when you are not running CUE.  However, if the custom curves are working, you should use them and I recommend most people do this anyway.  In the lower right corner of the graph are several shape tools that match the presets.  The middle one is balanced.  Even if you have no interest in adjusting the curves and are fine with the presets, this at least allows you to see the data points.  It also will allow you to tweak the baseline fan speed or the maximum, something you may want to do as the seasons change.  A perfect fan curve in Winter may be too loud in Summer.