Corsair Community

Corsair QL fans build question

Kingtruff88

I’m currently building a new gaming pc and would like to ask for some advice with regards to the QL fans I have selected for my build.

PC specs are as follows:

4000x Corsair case

Ryzen 9 5900x

64gb dominator platinum RGB ram (4x16)

360mm capellix cpu cooler

Rog strix dark hero vii motherboard

2tb mp600 ssd

1tb mp600 ssd

Rog strix 3080 oc

Corsair 850w psu gold

corsair led light strip expansion pack

corsair cable starter kit-black and white

6 x ql120 fans

Corsair commander pro

So my question is, will the QL120’s be ok in my system? I really like the aesthetics but I can see it will be a trade off for performance, which worries me slightly as this system wasn’t cheap. I was planning on replacing the 3 x capellix fans for 3 ql120’s at the front of the case. Then having 2 ql120’s as exhaust up the top of the case and 1 x ql120 as exhaust at the back.

Will the thermals be ok with this set up? I have looked at the ML120 fans but don’t like their appearance as much. Would changing them out for ML fans make that much of a difference in system temps?

Im hoping as I’m running a 360mm rad that the thermals will be really good anyways.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated, thanks 🙏 

You will be fine and should always choose the fan you really love when it comes to RGB.  The performance differences are typically too small to be measured outside of a testing set-up.  If you take a heavy watt component and use a small 120/140mm radiator, then fan choice becomes critical.  Once you get to 360mm radiators, you can use whatever you want.  With three fans the airflow through the radiator is not going to be the limiting factor.  There are exceptions like using very thick 54-60mm+ radiators or those with a very dense fin structure.  The radiator on the Elite series AIOs is neither of those and made to get good results with any fan.  You will be happier with the QL.  

• Like 1

Thankyou for your reply. What sort of temperature differences would I likely get if I went for the ML over the QL?

thanks again, any help is much appreciated. As stated I’m new to all of this and probably have more money than sense. However it has cost me a lot of money so just want to make sure it’s right 🙏👍

For a 5900x at say 200W on a 360mm?  Probably about 0.5C in coolant temp which then elevates the CPU temp by the same amount.  Round up and lets call it 1 degree difference.  For comparison purposes, this afternoon I took of my QL and put 6 ML-RGB on a pair of 38mm radiators with a more dense fin pattern.  After about 2 hours I can't tell if there is a difference or not with a variable 375-425W load shared between the two radiators.  Unless you run CPU renders or professional software loads all day long, you won't see that kind of sustained wattage.  Getting heat out of the coolant is usually not the limitation.  On all Ryzen (and Intel) you are going to be voltage/CPU temp limited.  The radiator and fans are a small part in that.  If the CPU is too hot, you will need to adjust voltage or power settings, not swap fans.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, c-attack said:

For a 5900x at say 200W on a 360mm?  Probably about 0.5C in coolant temp which then elevates the CPU temp by the same amount.  Round up and lets call it 1 degree difference.  For comparison purposes, this afternoon I took of my QL and put 6 ML-RGB on a pair of 38mm radiators with a more dense fin pattern.  After about 2 hours I can't tell if there is a difference or not with a variable 375-425W load shared between the two radiators.  Unless you run CPU renders or professional software loads all day long, you won't see that kind of sustained wattage.  Getting heat out of the coolant is usually not the limitation.  On all Ryzen (and Intel) you are going to be voltage/CPU temp limited.  The radiator and fans are a small part in that.  If the CPU is too hot, you will need to adjust voltage or power settings, not swap fans.  

Thank you for some really brilliant replies, I really do appreciate it. I find it a real shame that Corsair haven’t properly released the same fans that they have on the capellix coolers. As it would make it alot more simple. I even contemplated buying another cooler just to use the fans!! As not only do they have more leds I believe they also have a higher rpm?

However as previously stated I really like the look of the QL fans and was hoping with the added brightness and the dark tint on the glass of the 4000x case it would help to light the system up more inside…

Are you able to advise what sort of temperatures I would likely see on something with my set up of similar? It is purely going to be used for gaming.

thanks again

If you wanted to match ML-Elite from the AIO, you would get the SP-Elite for the case fan positions.  It is a RGB match to ML-Elite and both are 8 center hub LED fans.  However, if you like the QL you should get them.  It is a unique fan and the side cut RGB ring adds a distinctive look.  I don't even recognize my build without them.  

It's really hard to give you an expected temperature range for the 5900X without having one on hand, but also because there are so many other factors that come into this.  Your room temp, case temp, voltage, BIOS power settings, and your spin in the silicon lottery will all have more impact on your CPU temp than the fan choice.  However, if this is mostly for gaming where the CPU load is going be under 150W (or much lower) all the time, the fan choice has even less impact on the final CPU temp.  At less than 150W you likely see zero measurable difference.  You should get the QL without reservations.

You can get the ML-Elites separately - https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/ML120-RGB-Magnetic-Levitation-Fan-Replacement/p/CW-8960065. But they aren't cheap and it's far easier to get the SP-Elites and they really do look the same, like @c-attack said.

I do have to wonder if some of the limitations on availability are due to the same shortages that we're seeing across the computer industry. I'd bet money that has something to do with it.

• 2 months later...

So following on from my conversation which I started around the middle of this year. I have no decided to upgrade my case from the 4000d airflow to the 5000d airflow. I did this to allow me to have a custom water loop installed. As previously mentioned by @c-attack I just wanted to make sure that these ql fans will operate ok on the EK 360 SE rads. I have had 2 of them installed on my build…pictures below. I understand that the QL fans don’t have the best static pressure but baring in mind these are slim rads, I should be ok?

thanks 👍

pictures of build in progress below-excuse the poor quality

2D090EE3-EB82-4FC6-A40E-C1435840C5EC.jpeg

218514F1-FE7A-4522-9AF1-A8A5EA7721AC.png

Edited by Kingtruff88

that reservoir 😛 the kind that will start to cycle water before the level drops to the pump 🙂

now the fun begins, tube routing

Is that a good thing? I’m actually paying 3xs to upgrade my system and install the custom loop. So they have the tricky job of the hardline tubing 😂

2 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

that reservoir 😛 the kind that will start to cycle water before the level drops to the pump 🙂

now the fun begins, tube routing

On 7/26/2021 at 11:49 PM, c-attack said:

Do you foresee any issues with the new build c-attack. Really respect your input. Thanks

16 minutes ago, Kingtruff88 said:

Is that a good thing? I’m actually paying 3xs to upgrade my system and install the custom loop. So they have the tricky job of the hardline tubing 😂

yes it's a good thing 😛 less wear on the pump bearing when filling the loop.

Basically they will fill it entirely once, and start it, then stop when the level drops too low to avoid having the pump run dry.

I imagine the second fill will be enough to let the pump run continuously.

With small reservoirs you have to cycle several times more to get the loop going.

Big reservoirs make the yearly fluid change a breeze. Don't forget to ask them to install a drain valve 😉

• Thanks 1

Top man thanks for the info. Yes drain valve is to be installed. I have asked.

do you think I will have any issues with my fans in my build? Temps etc will be good baring in mind the 2 x 360 mm radiators, even though the fans don’t have the best performance….

1 minute ago, LeDoyen said:

yes it's a good thing 😛 less wear on the pump bearing when filling the loop.

Basically they will fill it entirely once, and start it, then stop when the level drops too low to avoid having the pump run dry.

I imagine the second fill will be enough to let the pump run continuously.

With small reservoirs you have to cycle several times more to get the loop going.

Big reservoirs make the yearly fluid change a breeze. Don't forget to ask them to install a drain valve 😉

As Travis said, they will work fine. The tradeoff when you use "low" static pressure fans is that you have to run them harder to have the same performance as fans made to work on radiators. So it will be more of a noise thing than performance.

But again, you can still allow for the water to run one degree hotter and shave 100 rpm from your fan curve, give or take 😛

In game, the CPU will barely warm up the water, it will be mostly GPU load. 300 - 350W.. on two 360 rads, you have comfortable headroom.

The hotter the water compared to the room ambient temperature, the more efficient the radiators become.

So with the fan curve that you will make you can exchange silence for cooling, or sacrifice a few °C to get silence. Fan static pressure only varies that sweet spot.

• Like 1

Thank you

10 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

As Travis said, they will work fine. The tradeoff when you use "low" static pressure fans is that you have to run them harder to have the same performance as fans made to work on radiators. So it will be more of a noise thing than performance.

But again, you can still allow for the water to run one degree hotter and shave 100 rpm from your fan curve, give or take 😛

In game, the CPU will barely warm up the water, it will be mostly GPU load. 300 - 350W.. on two 360 rads, you have comfortable headroom.

The hotter the water compared to the room ambient temperature, the more efficient the radiators become.

So with the fan curve that you will make you can exchange silence for cooling, or sacrifice a few °C to get silence. Fan static pressure only varies that sweet spot.

Can I ask you this?

would you personally upgrade the fans given the option? I know a lot of it is personal opinion with regards to RGB etc. But I’m nearly at the point of no return. I have contemplated changing all of the fans to better static pressure fans regardless of the cost. I will have 10 fans in total to change if this is the case….

thanks again

13 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

would you personally upgrade the fans given the option? I know a lot of it is personal opinion with regards to RGB etc. But I’m nearly at the point of no return. I have contemplated changing all of the fans to better static pressure fans regardless of the cost. I will have 10 fans in total to change if this is the case….

thanks again

Edited by Kingtruff88

You'll be just fine.  I have several QL on a 360 PE that is thicker and I got no measurable return by switching to the ML.  On smaller radiators, continuous heavy wattage, or some other compromise you might eek out a few tenths better, but for most people that is not something to do.  The only reason you should switch to the ML/SP Elite series is if you prefer that downcast lighting from the top or the RGB appearance in general.  If you prefer the QL, you should keep the QL.  It's not going to matter on a 360x30mm radiator or two.

• Like 1

despite my post count on this forum i hate Corsair hardware aside from PSUs 😛 iCUE alone drove me off the brand.

I changed all my fans because i am mostly after silence so i want my fans to spin as slow as possible. That's why i went for high static pressure fans, with a blade design that happened to make a more pleasant kind of sound than the fans i had before (HD and LL fans).

It's totally personal preference.

You have to start somewhere anyway. You have no idea of the temperatures you'll get, or the type of sound the case will make. Need a starting point to compare and maybe tweak later. There is no way to predict that as it will be completely dependent on the fan curve you will make, and what kind of temperature you have at home.

And as C stated, RGB does count too. the QL are unique on that regard.