Corsair Community

Fan's led not working porperly + QL-LL compatibility

Hello,

I started having some issues with two of my LL120 fans. Basically, one have some leds that randomly stay at a static color, while the second one keep blinking randomly.

Also, sometimes all the fans randomly reset the color cycle.

The setup is: 4 LL120 connected to the Lighting Node Pro, then connected to the CCPro. Plus on the CCPro there's also 4 led stripes.

I tried swapping the connectors on the Node but in any case the problem continues; also, putting one of the defective fans in the first places makes also the others buggy (doesn't work or blinks).

I think the problem is due to some defects in the cable of the fans but I'm not 100% sure; the ramdom reset makes me have some doubt.

This reset can be reconneced to the fans being buggy or it can be the Node? I don't think it's the the software or the CCPro since the Led stripes don't blink or at least I didn't noticed it.

Since the warranty has expired I would need to buy them again. Considering that I'm not 100% sure to exclude the node I was pondering to buy, instead of two fans, the pack of 3 with the Node.

In the second case I would like to buy the QL120 but how it works with the LL120? Can I mix 3 QL120 and 1 LL120 on the same Lighting Node Pro? Otherwise there's some workaround I can do to solve the incompatibility?

Thanks for the help

It sounds like an issue with the fan. The fans are daisy-chained ... the Data Out from one fan goes to the Data In on the next. So having a bad fan in slot 1 will impact the entire hub. If you know which fan is bad, put it at the end. Does everything behave if the bad fan is completely removed?

The multipacks of QLs will come with a Lighting Node Core that you can use. While you can, technically, put them on the same channel, you can't configure it that way so you'd configure the LL fans "as QLs" ... and some effects would be quite weird. Also, when using QL fans on a Lighting Node Pro, there's a limit to how much can be on the other channel due to the capabilities of the LNP's MCU. But ... 3 QLs + 1 LL (on separate channels) would be fine.

Sorry for the late reply, I just had the time to read the asnser before the forum went down. By the way, I had time to test a bit.

I tried more or less all the possible position swapping the connectors and I found that one of the fans is very buggy. Many leds tends to shut down or freeze on the green. Another one sometimes tends to reset the color cycle; I noticed that putting it as third I reset only the last two, while as fouth it goes completely crazy (I think due to the other one which is more buggy).

Thet other two seemed ok since few hours ago where they also started to have faulty leds and shutters. I touched a bit the cables and after one hour they started to work properly again (the other two are still buggy).

I don't know if a faulty fan at the end of the line can make buggy also the previous ones; otherwise might it be the Lighting Node? I changed the cable going from the node to the CCPro and swapped the position on the CCPro with the led stripes but nothing changed.

It's possible to connect directly the led cable of the fans to the mobo (Z390 Aorus Ultra) or the ccpro just to make a test?

About mixing the LL and QL I guess it's impossible; by the way, if I keep 1 LL on the old node it's possible to connect it to the mobo instead of the ccpro?

Thanks for the help

It would be odd that a bad fan would affect the fans before it on the chain. Unless, perhaps, it's doing something odd with the power draw but I'm having difficulty imagining that as the issue.

If you get the QL's, you can put them on the Lighting Node Core that they come with. And keep the working LL fans on the Commander Pro/Lighting Hub that they are now. That would work fine.

As far as connecting to the motherboard - it's not officially supported to connect Corsair fans to the motherboard but there are 3rd party adapters to do that.

I will try to see what happen if I completely remove on fan from the line. Anyway, do you think I can exclude the node as source of the issue?

I will also try to move a bit the cables from their position. I have a Corsair 500D, the cables pass inside the vertical cover and one near the end of the case close to the PSU-CPU cable. Maybe they bended too much.

About the QL - LL mixing, the problem is that if I get a second node I don’t know where to connect it. On the ccpro both led ports are used right now (one for the node and one for the led stripes). Unless there’s a way to connect the node directly on the mobo.

The LED port on the CoPro will be connected to a Fan Hub, not a Node (Lighting Node Core). While they look almost identical, they aren't - the Fan Hub is a super-dumb device that just has traces and a capacitor. The Lighting Node Core has a microcontroller in it to generate the RGB signal.

So ... the Lighting Node Core will connect via USB, not via the Lighting Channel on the CoPro.

They changed something with the new node? Mine is not connecting through USB but goes into the led port of the ccpro

I shared a picture of the setup, so you can see better what I have.

index.jpg

What you have there is not a Lighting Node Core. It's an RGB Fan LED Hub (https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Custom-Cooling/Accessories/CORSAIR-RGB-Fan-LED-Hub/p/CO-8950020). So ... yes, they are different but not because Corsair changed the Fan Hub. They introduced the Lighting Node Core as an additional device.

Take a look at the RGB FAQ link in my signature.

ok, thanks. I tought it was the same product. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

In this case if I eventually get the QL I would have no issues in using both the node and the RGB Fan LED Hub.

I will make some other test with only one fan each time just to be sure it's not the RGB Fan LED Hub