Corsair Community

1000D & RM850I High temp without intervention

Hi there,

I've noticed in my new build with the stock psu shroud in place my PSU (RM850i) is getting super hot without manually chaning the fan profile to come online. Up to 47c when even the graphics card is sat at 51c, so the system isnt loaded.

Would you recommend I just overrule the stock profile (the fan still hadnt started at 47c) and let the fans trickle, or does this suggest I've done something stupid? I can remove the shroud obviously but it's clearly meant to be there so I can't shake the feeling I'm the problem somewhere.

Other than the PSU, heat is good. with 8 120m intakes on the front, 2 120mm exhausts at the rear and 3 140mm exhausts at the top.

Cheers

• Corsair Employees

47C is far from super hot, and I would not worry about it. The PSU will turn the fan on by itself when it is needed.

If you are worried about the temperature, you can put the fan on a custom profile as you mention, but it should not be needed.

• Corsair Employees
On 7/18/2021 at 3:30 PM, flibberty said:

Fan down. When the fan runs, it's all ok, it the passive mode that can no longer cope compared to old case.

How is the PSU's position, ventilation, etc. different in the 1000D vs. the "old case".  What was the "old case"?

On 7/24/2021 at 2:59 AM, jonnyguru said:

How is the PSU's position, ventilation, etc. different in the 1000D vs. the "old case".  What was the "old case"?

Sorry for late response, forums were inaccessible for me for a long while there.

Previous case was antec twelve hundred full tower, it's around 11 years old or more now if you're googling. PSU was in the same position, although fan up in there but not shrouded. In the current case it is fan down to access to air gaps.

You mentioned 47c isnt high, I based that on this paper: https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/corsair-psu-spec-table.pdf

Says the operating range is 0-50c. Have I missed or misunderstood something? Is that ambient?

Edited by flibberty

3 hours ago, flibberty said:

Also this thread

made me concerned that the fan is effectively an emergency load thing since the poster says there's no curve.

That's reading a bit too much into the statement.

Most of the time, with the high efficiency of the PSU, you don't need the fan. The heat is caused by power loss due to inefficiency; the more efficient the PSU is, the less heat is produced. A 100% efficient PSU (which is impossible) would produce absolutely no heat at all. So it's not an emergency fail safe - it's normal operation for it to stay off unless it needs to actually come on. And most of the time, because of the high efficiency of the PSU, it's not needed.

The operating range for the PSU refers to the ambient environment and not to the internal temperatures of the PSU. So if you are worried about your room/ambient temperature being near the top of the spec range, I think that it's safe to say that a warm PSU is the least of your issues.

No, nothing to worry about.

just a little example while folding (CPU and GPU load).

Just like you the PSU sat at 47°. Now with the computer running flat out, it went up to 58, and still no need to run the fan. it's plenty cold for a power stage.

I don't believe it ever spun in the 3 years i got that PSU.

It's a bit disconcerting when you first get a higher efficiency PSU, but as i said, that's also what you pay for. it's silent 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
On 7/31/2021 at 2:27 AM, flibberty said:

Sorry for late response, forums were inaccessible for me for a long while there.

Previous case was antec twelve hundred full tower, it's around 11 years old or more now if you're googling. PSU was in the same position, although fan up in there but not shrouded. In the current case it is fan down to access to air gaps.

You mentioned 47c isnt high, I based that on this paper: https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/corsair-psu-spec-table.pdf

Says the operating range is 0-50c. Have I missed or misunderstood something? Is that ambient?

50°C is the ambient operating temperature.

And you just explained why it ran cooler in the old case.  In the old case, it was fan up, so heat would rise away from the PSU's PCB.

Even though cases tend to have shrouds these days, I never buy one without ventilation.  And... I run the PSU with the fan pointing up.  Fan down creates two phenomena that's I'm not easy with.  1. heat rising into the PCB. and 2. lack of air flow.  You have filters that fill with dust and then there's no air intake.