Corsair Community

Cooling Curve Settings

memoric

Hello

So I have 6 fans in my PC, 3 of them are installed on the A.i.O Water cooler (Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO). The type of the fans is Corsair LL120 RGB.

So my question is what sensor in commander pro cooling tab (custom curve) should I select for them? The CPU package? Or the H150i PRO?

If H150i PRO, what temps/RPM would you suggest?

My rig:

CPU: Intel Eight Core i7-9700K/3.60 GHz…

Water cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO

RAM: HyperX Fury 4x, 8GB, DDR4-3200, DIMM 288

Mainboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO, ATX, LGA1151

PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1200 Watt

Case: Corsair Midi Tower Crystal 570X RGB

GPU: ASUS GeForce ROG STRIX RTX 3090 O24G-GAMING 24GB

HDD / SSD: SSD Samsung 860 QVO, 4TB, 2.5" / SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 250GB, M.2 2280

Thank you very much!

The H150i Pro sensor, otherwise known as coolant or liquid temp. The radiator fans don't cool the CPU directly and the actual CPU cooling is conductive (CPU-> cold plate). The liquid is more of a transport mechanism to move the heat from there to the radiator where it can be blown off. The coolant temp by 1C and coolant temp is the baseline CPU temp and the relationship is +1 to coolant = +1C to CPU. Same thing in reverse for -1=-1. Small changes to fan speed are not going to have much bearing on the end component temperature. Most people should set their levels based on noise.

For the 3 radiator fans, go to the Performance tab + to create a new custom curve. In the corner of the new graph are three shape tools that correspond to the three presets. Click the left (quiet) one. Now you can see the points and edit them. There is no one perfect universal curve because most of us have different hardware and varying ambient temperatures. The internal case temp is always going to be the baseline for everything. It's not uncommon to see a +10C shift in ambient between opposite seasons. This means that your perfect curve from last Winter is going to be running pretty hard at idle in Summer. When you first boot up the coolant will be close to room temp and then warm up another 3-5C as the case warms up a bit. That 'after 5-10min' coolant temp should be your baseline. You can't get cooler than that. Set a comfortable fan speed for that temperature. Most people will find 750 rpm quiet enough for 120mm fans. As you use it, take note of the highest coolant temp you encounter. Then set the highest fan speed you are willing to tolerate for that level. This is very user and fan dependent. 1300 rpm is a good sweet spot in terms of noise vs performance, so it is likely somewhere near that mark. Save the max fan blast for something +5C above that level. This will give you an audible warning if things are out of the normal zone. ALL of these settings can be moved a little up or down without consequence. It is almost impossible to overheat a CPU in a liquid system with a 360mm radiator as long as the fans are moving and the coolant too. If you overheat because you set the fans to 800 rpm instead of 1100, you were too high on the voltage to begin with.

If the H150i is top mounted, you can use the same curve on the front intake fans. That will put plenty of air into the case for most uses and since they are not radiator restricted, it will be moving twice as much air in as the top. That may help with GPU air cooling and forcing the heat out the back. If the H150i is front mounted, some users opt for a low/high (idle/load) kind of toggle. Something low and quiet when working on the desktop. Manual fixed speed at highest tolerance point when gaming. This may help keep a steadier flow of air into the case and the CPU waste heat is still cooler than the GPU. The rear exhaust fan can follow suit or you can link it to GPU temp on an appropriate scale.

Thanks for your answer!

So I selected H150i Pro as Sensor. I really have no idea what temps/RPMs to choose from for that one, so I went for this:

<30° - 600 RPM

40° - 750 RPM

50° - 1000 RPM

60° - 1325 RPM

>70° - 1500 RPM

Those this make sense? Are ok?

And another question, the Fan Number under the cooling tab at commander pro is the same as plugged in in commander pro?

So Fan Number 1 is the one plugged in Nummber 1 spot?

Thanks

Commander Pro port number on the device will match the fan number in CUE (1=1, 2=2, etc.).

I neglected to give you a proper basic range for coolant. Most people will see idle value of +4-7C over the room temp and then it will increase +10C to maybe +15C in worst case scenario. This means the range is rather small. A person in Summer might see a 27-30C baseline, but won't go past 40C or so when under long term load. There is a default spike to maximum at 40C, but that is only appropriate if your starting temp was 20-23C. Someone is a warm room with no air conditioning will be in the mid 30s at power on.

Try compressing your curve a bit, with the 750 rpm around 27-28C and the 1300 around 40C. Give your self some flat space near the idle point since this will change during the day as the room temp shifts.