Corsair Community

Thinking about adding another Rad to the front as intake.

Currently I have an anidees XL case(plenty of room). I already have an Alphacool 480mm 60mm thick rad with four noctua fans as exhaust. I have 3 corsair elite 140mm in the front as intake and another corsair elite 140mm at the rear. I just got a Power color Red Devil RX6800XT and was thinking about putting a 420mm 60mm thick in the front as intake as well. As soon as someone makes a GPU block for my card.

Is it overkill to add the 420 rad in the front, or should the 480mm rad on top be enough to handle both CPU & GPU? I bought four rads on a whim and I have a brand new 420mm 60mm thick rad brand new sitting in the box.

I have a Ryzen 9 5950X, not overclocked and the temps for the water are 29c and the temps in HWinfo are 35c.

I would like to try it, but if it will only gain just a few degrees, it may not be worth it.

Thoughts? I will take some pics tomorrow and post them so you guys can see what I am working with now.

Thanks,

Jason

Currently I have an anidees XL case(plenty of room). I already have an Alphacool 480mm 60mm thick rad with four noctua fans as exhaust. I have 3 corsair elite 140mm in the front as intake and another corsair elite 140mm at the rear. I just got a Power color Red Devil RX6800XT and was thinking about putting a 420mm 60mm thick in the front as intake as well. As soon as someone makes a GPU block for my card.

Is it overkill to add the 420 rad in the front, or should the 480mm rad on top be enough to handle both CPU & GPU? I bought four rads on a whim and I have a brand new 420mm 60mm thick rad brand new sitting in the box.

I have a Ryzen 9 5950X, not overclocked and the temps for the water are 29c and the temps in HWinfo are 35c.

I would like to try it, but if it will only gain just a few degrees, it may not be worth it.

Thoughts? I will take some pics tomorrow and post them so you guys can see what I am working with now.

Thanks,

Jason

I just posted some pics, the pics of the front is where the 420mm rad will go(obliviously). Thanks for looking.

1.thumb.jpg.11735f469373a3955a19337fe44b45b5.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.a35bac92dbae4fa3d019159b5da5f0a7.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.2dd19903c26e704e0b303f7f6eb4ef00.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.43ec53cd0a7890447f00117cdafa2168.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.897454671b20b43fa4841aa7fb2c8ae6.jpg

Certainly having a second radiator will help with the 300+ watts you are about to add into the loop via the GPU. However, like most cases the second radiator can pose a logistical problem. You don't want to be dumping exhaust air from the front radiator into the top. It will substantially reduce the efficiency of the top radiator. It can be made to be passable by routing GPU->CPU-> top radiator to make the coolant temp in the top rad as high as possible, while thus making the coolant in the front the lower value. Since radiator exhaust air temp is approximately equal to liquid temp, that gets the front exhaust just under the top coolant temp so there is at least some cooling effect. If the top rad coolant temp is 35C and the intake air temp is 35C, there won't be much cooling going on.

So for cases with this standard design, it often becomes better to run top+front as exhaust. The back fan becomes intake and the radiator fans will draw air in from the back. This is often referred to as reverse flow. It offers the best cooling for this set-up, but there are some caveats and it may not work for all people. If you have the case pushed into a corner or in any type of enclosure, this is a bust. The intake from the back will be the same as the exhaust and you get a heat bubble around the area. Any condition that creates warmer air in back than elsewhere is likely to spoil the fun. Also, some people are flat out not going to like the visual. If you know it's going to irritate you, it's probably not worth it.

It's hard to estimate coolant temp differentials. Right now you have a big radiator handling a big processor. Power can range from steady state 70-90W or as much at 250W+ if you use it for hammering out professional loads. If you mostly do mixed use tasks including gaming, you probably have a lot more radiator than needed and the case ambient is the only thing moving the coolant around. That's fine and we all like overkill. So assuming your typical coolant increase is something like +3C when gaming, I would estimate it will go up +8C when the GPU is at 300W -- a fairly typical gaming load. This means your CPU temps will now be 8C higher than whatever they were before when the GPU is fully loaded. Adding the second radiator takes a theoretical ~400-425W gaming load and divides it across a 480+420mm radiator. So instead of a combined CPU+GPU coolant delta of +11-12C for 480x1, you might see +7C across 480+420, assuming no other intervening factors. It also turns single component max loads like a CPU stress test into a light exercise across two radiators.

I am all for liquid cooling the GPUs. It's really hard to go back to the air blower once you have moved to water and directly routing the GPU waste heat out of the case has benefits for the entire system. Since you already have the extra radiator, I would suggest trying it unless mounting the front 420 is particularly difficult.

well looks like the new rad won't fit, it will collide with your top rad if it's a 60mm.

You have to account for radiator and fan thicknes, and fittings too. I don't see if you have the possibility to slide the top rad back a bit.

More rads is "more better" :) but you already start big so it should work.

And btw, Alphacool makes a waterblock for the Red Devil 6800XT

Certainly having a second radiator will help with the 300+ watts you are about to add into the loop via the GPU. However, like most cases the second radiator can pose a logistical problem. You don't want to be dumping exhaust air from the front radiator into the top. It will substantially reduce the efficiency of the top radiator. It can be made to be passable by routing GPU->CPU-> top radiator to make the coolant temp in the top rad as high as possible, while thus making the coolant in the front the lower value. Since radiator exhaust air temp is approximately equal to liquid temp, that gets the front exhaust just under the top coolant temp so there is at least some cooling effect. If the top rad coolant temp is 35C and the intake air temp is 35C, there won't be much cooling going on.

So for cases with this standard design, it often becomes better to run top+front as exhaust. The back fan becomes intake and the radiator fans will draw air in from the back. This is often referred to as reverse flow. It offers the best cooling for this set-up, but there are some caveats and it may not work for all people. If you have the case pushed into a corner or in any type of enclosure, this is a bust. The intake from the back will be the same as the exhaust and you get a heat bubble around the area. Any condition that creates warmer air in back than elsewhere is likely to spoil the fun. Also, some people are flat out not going to like the visual. If you know it's going to irritate you, it's probably not worth it.

It's hard to estimate coolant temp differentials. Right now you have a big radiator handling a big processor. Power can range from steady state 70-90W or as much at 250W+ if you use it for hammering out professional loads. If you mostly do mixed use tasks including gaming, you probably have a lot more radiator than needed and the case ambient is the only thing moving the coolant around. That's fine and we all like overkill. So assuming your typical coolant increase is something like +3C when gaming, I would estimate it will go up +8C when the GPU is at 300W -- a fairly typical gaming load. This means your CPU temps will now be 8C higher than whatever they were before when the GPU is fully loaded. Adding the second radiator takes a theoretical ~400-425W gaming load and divides it across a 480+420mm radiator. So instead of a combined CPU+GPU coolant delta of +11-12C for 480x1, you might see +7C across 480+420, assuming no other intervening factors. It also turns single component max loads like a CPU stress test into a light exercise across two radiators.

I am all for liquid cooling the GPUs. It's really hard to go back to the air blower once you have moved to water and directly routing the GPU waste heat out of the case has benefits for the entire system. Since you already have the extra radiator, I would suggest trying it unless mounting the front 420 is particularly difficult.

Thanks for the reply!

I was able to do a mock setup with have the 420 rad in front, If I lower the rad in the front, I will have an inch or two to spare and it will clear the 480 on top.

If I do try this, I would have to figure out a loop order. Now I have the out on the pump going to the CPU block, and the CPU out to the 480 rad, then back into the res. I have a feeling it is going to be challenge to run the tubing. I use soft tubing, so it might not be that bad.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

well looks like the new rad won't fit, it will collide with your top rad if it's a 60mm.

You have to account for radiator and fan thicknes, and fittings too. I don't see if you have the possibility to slide the top rad back a bit.

It will be tough, but if I lower the front rad a few inches, I should clear the top 480 rad.

Thanks for the heads up about Alphacool, I have one in my cart, I just need to pull the trigger.

You are correct, I tried to fit it in and it will not clear the top and fans of the 480. Luckily I found I had a 420mm 30mm thick rad that will fit perfect.

Thanks for the heads up.