Corsair Community

More Rads lower temps?

Jules MK

If I swap my case for a higher airflow case with a additional 280mm Rad will the water temps be lower while gaming? I am thinking Fractal Meshify 2.

Currently I have a Corsair Obsidian 400 d RGB case, with a 280mm Rad on the top with 2 x ML140 fans set to exhaust and a 360 Rad on the front with 3 x ML120 fans set to intake (push) and 3 x LL120 (Pull) also 1 x LL120 rear fan set to exhaust.

The PC is in a little open fronted IKEA shelving unit with an open front, so airflow isn't amazing. (see image)

This is my 1st attempt at a water cooled PC and having followed advice from this forum I have managed to get the water temp to sit between 35 - 37 degrees c while gaming. Which is ok but the delta of 20 degrees on the RTX3070 means it is around 55 - 57 degrees and I'd like it a little cooler.

Mw52S4X.jpg

Well, the heat is nicely kept and recirculated in that little space, so, i dont think adding rads or changing the case will drop temps significantly.

have you tried running the pc in gaming while outside the shelf? a little desk fan blowing wam air away may do more good than adding radiators ^^'

if you have a thermometer somewhere, you can measure the air teperature near the case. that will be the base temperature below which water basicallly can't go.. if it is stuck at 30 constantly, you may have your idle temps be around 31 or 32 and load temps beyond that.

Anything you can do to decrease that base temperature will be reflected on load temperatures. 1° less on ambient is 1° less under load.

Considering the enclosed nature of the build, those temps are actually quite good. Of course, that does depend on the ambient, which I'm assuming is something reasonably close to 'room temperature'.

Extra radiators might give you a degree, maybe two, on the coolant. Your ambient temperature is also going to be a factor, as LeDoyen pointed out.

Well, the heat is nicely kept and recirculated in that little space, so, i dont think adding rads or changing the case will drop temps significantly.

have you tried running the pc in gaming while outside the shelf? a little desk fan blowing wam air away may do more good than adding radiators ^^'

if you have a thermometer somewhere, you can measure the air teperature near the case. that will be the base temperature below which water basicallly can't go.. if it is stuck at 30 constantly, you may have your idle temps be around 31 or 32 and load temps beyond that.

Anything you can do to decrease that base temperature will be reflected on load temperatures. 1° less on ambient is 1° less under load.

Thank you for the reply, great idea re the thermometer, the rad I am considering adding will be at the bottom of the new case, as I am hoping the air at the bottom will be room temp rather than at the top of the little space, I can measure this while using the PC, if it stayed cool it might be worth doing, if it warms up then not worth the effort! - the addition of the white plastic vents made slight difference as some of the warm air can escap.

Considering the enclosed nature of the build, those temps are actually quite good. Of course, that does depend on the ambient, which I'm assuming is something reasonably close to 'room temperature'.

Extra radiators might give you a degree, maybe two, on the coolant. Your ambient temperature is also going to be a factor, as LeDoyen pointed out.

Thank you for the reply, yes it's in the main room of a small flat so no where else it could go (hence the water cooling to try and make it as quite as possible)

I have checked and the bottom of the PC (where the new rad would go) didn't get hotter than the ambient temp, so I think adding (or even moving the top rad that is set to exhaust atm) will lower the temps, a little, thinking about it the top rad is doing very little! Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how I get on